gtx 1060 vs gtx 970

CosmicNations

GTX 1060. There's no reason to get a GTX 970 unless you're getting one for extremely cheap.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

thank you very much, I am building the computer in December so hopefully the prices for my parts go down

Even more than Double. 71% more Vram :P

3.5 gb vs. 6gb. Plus, you get 980 performance with teh 1060.

One problem that most don't know tho: THe 3.5gb + 0.5 gb on the 970 was quite a Problem. Nvidia fixed it with their Drivers, which only allows the 970 to use the first 3.5gb only, and ignore the useless 0.5 gb Ram.

There is a possibility, that sometime later, this Driver support will slow down, and the card will "fill" the 0.5gb slow vram more often, causing problems that might now be there today.

I'd say, if you can get the 970 for half the 1060 price.. might go for it. But even then. Rather buy right, then twice.

Did you buy that already?

If not:

- Replace the GPU model. Asus Strix cards are pretty much Garbage over the board. On the 1080 it was Garbage, on the 1070, and also RX 480. It uses cheap "Direct Touch" on the chip DIE, but from those 5 Heatpipes, only 2,5 have direct contafct with it.

Like this: 500x1000px-LL-372a57ae_11-1080_282507238

And you can see, even the middle Fan is almost useless, since there's so much free space. A very very poor cooling design from asus here.

I suggest, Palit/Zotac/EVGA models are cheaper, and should definitely be better. The Amount of Fans has btw Nothing to do with Cooling performance :) Don't fall for it.

- Ram: Why only 1? Go for 2x 8gb, you want the Dual Channel. And depending on the different Prices, you might wanna go for 2666, 2800 or even 3000 Mhz. It can make quite a difference on Min-fps (especially on CPU-intense games), even more if you compare 2800+ Dual Channel with 2400 single Channel.

i will be sure to change gpu model, and i have 50 dollars left on budget so i will get more ram

But of course, check how pricy each custom model is. That may differ form country to country tho :P

5 hours ago, Darkseth said:

One problem that most don't know tho: THe 3.5gb + 0.5 gb on the 970 was quite a Problem. Nvidia fixed it with their Drivers, which only allows the 970 to use the first 3.5gb only, and ignore the useless 0.5 gb Ram.

There is a possibility, that sometime later, this Driver support will slow down, and the card will "fill" the 0.5gb slow vram more often, causing problems that might now be there today.

I'd say, if you can get the 970 for half the 1060 price.. might go for it. But even then. Rather buy right, then twice.

It's 4GB ?. And benchmarks after benchmarks have shown most users don't have problems unless you are pushing 4K which the card was never made for. Games are still able to use all 4GB of Vram without issues or slowdowns. 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

5 hours ago, Darkseth said:

My GTX 970 at 2x 1080p (DSR) would like to have words with you. Playing Fallout 4 with 8x TSAA, all 4GB used with no stuttering unless I was high up and could see everything.

8 hours ago, CosmicNations said:

should i get the 1060 or the 970

Considering that the GTX 1060 pretty much has the performance of a GTX 980, and is on a smaller manufacturing size+has more vRAM and consumes a similar amount of power, I'd go with the GTX 1060. Just don't go for a gigabyte version with the Windforce x3 cooler-it is loud due to having 3x 80mm fans as opposed to 2x 120mm fans that cool just as well at a lower RPM.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Go for 1060 but if you want more FPS in the future and have the ability to expand in the go for the GTX 970 since they are so cheap now and you can have up to 3 of them in SLI and beat the 1060 in games and almost match the performance of the Titan XM (Maxwell architecture). 

5 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Just don't go for a gigabyte version with the Windforce x3 cooler-it is loud due to having 3x 80mm fans as opposed to 2x 120mm fans that cool just as well at a lower RPM.

One more fan isn't going to be any louder especially because Gigabyte's Windforce cooler has been known for being extremely quiet even on the stock fan curve. They also have the fans stopped until a certain temp is reached. 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

11 hours ago, Darkseth said:

71% < 100%

double = 100% more

12 minutes ago, RyGuy99 said:

One more fan isn't going to be any louder especially because Gigabyte's Windforce cooler has been known for being extremely quiet even on the stock fan curve. They also have the fans stopped until a certain temp is reached. 

Not with older coolers, and when the cooler ramps up it is quite loud. For example: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=gigabyte+gtx+980ti+noise&num=100&safe=off&client=firefox-b-ab&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwie9NyK1o3OAhUCm5QKHXfHDZEQ_AUICCgB&biw=1536&bih=755

Also note that even at low speeds the cooler is easily audible, and that 80mm fans are always louder than 120mm fans at the same RPM and with the same type of bearing.

PMSL

5 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Not with older coolers, and when the cooler ramps up it is quite loud. For example: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=gigabyte+gtx+980ti+noise&num=100&safe=off&client=firefox-b-ab&source=lnms&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwie9NyK1o3OAhUCm5QKHXfHDZEQ_AUICCgB&biw=1536&bih=755

Also note that even at low speeds the cooler is easily audible, and that 80mm fans are always louder than 120mm fans at the same RPM and with the same type of bearing.

The 900 series and now 1000 series it is just as good. I own a G1 gaming and it is EXTREMELY quiet. Even stress tests don't make that card or any other Windforce card ramp up loudly with the exception of the 980Ti (nice work on finding the loudest, hottest card btw). The 980ti is much louder for MSI, EVGA or whatever cooler is used so let's stick the 60, 70 and 80 versions of Nvidia cards especially when two of those cards are the topic.The difference is so small it shouldn't be a deciding factor. 

2 hours ago, RyGuy99 said:

The 900 series and now 1000 series it is just as good. I own a G1 gaming and it is EXTREMELY quiet. Even stress tests don't make that card or any other Windforce card ramp up loudly with the exception of the 980Ti (nice work on finding the loudest, hottest card btw). The 980ti is much louder for MSI, EVGA or whatever cooler is used so let's stick the 60, 70 and 80 versions of Nvidia cards especially when two of those cards are the topic.The difference is so small it shouldn't be a deciding factor. 

And I said

Just don't go for a gigabyte version with the Windforce x3 cooler

80mm fans will always be louder than 120mm fans, and when you look at reviews of the 900 series you can quite easily see that-also, I'm one of the people who use speakers over headphones, and 1.5m away in a closed case-I can easily hear the fans of the Windforce x3 cooler. Even at idle.

PMSL

ok im going to go with the gtx 1060 ill just have to find a way to get the extra 40 bucks to buy it. :)

Does anyone know how long it will take for retailers to price the gtx 1060 at the msrp? 

4 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

And I said

80mm fans will always be louder than 120mm fans, and when you look at reviews of the 900 series you can quite easily see that-also, I'm one of the people who use speakers over headphones, and 1.5m away in a closed case-I can easily hear the fans of the Windforce x3 cooler. Even at idle.

I use speakers as well I can't stand wearing headphones for that long. I don't hear my windforce cooler at all even under full load and stress testing...

This is what Hardware Canucks has to say about the Windforce cooler, in particular the 980ti...

"Where Gigabyte truly excels is in the secondary areas of heat and fan noise. The G1 Gaming boasts some of the lowest temperatures we have seen from an air cooled yet overclocked GTX 980 Ti. These numbers go hand in hand with decibel levels that are nothing short of astonishing. The only alternatives which come even close are ultra expensive water cooled cards from the likes of MSI and EVGA or the EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC+ which doesn’t feature comparable frequencies. Gigabyte have obviously put a lot of work into their heatsink design and even though the competition seems to be catching up, that WindForce cooler is still one of the best around."

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/71542-gigabyte-gtx-980-ti-g1-gaming-