AMD R9-290X + BF4 Bundle Pre-Orders require $200 Deposit!

HardwareCanucks posted an article stating Australian retailers are requiring $200 down when pre-ordering the new Radeon R9-290x and BF4 bundle. The article states this is currently only the case for Australia, it isn't known if other retailers such as Newegg or Ncix (or other popular retailers from around the globe) will require the same down payment. These cards aren't available for pre-order in places other than Australia, but time will tell if this changes.

The article stated quote

''Naturally, this money will go towards the purchase of the card but for a product we know so little about, that’s a monetary risk some may not be willing to take.''

R9-DESPOSIT-1.jpg\

Thoughts? Opinions? Hopes? 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

defeats the purpose of everything, I'd rather get the R9 290x with BF4 and BF4 premium for that price if it translates directly to USD which it doesn't

We either get it first or last and it costs twice as much...

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

We either get it first or last and it costs twice as much...

Only in Australia..  :unsure:

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

This is a nice car how much is it?

We can't say but it requires a 10k down payment.

Well ok but how much is it?

Can't say. But you get this bonus with it though.

Yea but I want to know how much it is before I buy it.

Can't say but it's really fast and like I said you get this bonus.

Unless you understand that this card could be up to $700 why would you preorder something when you don't know how much it really is going to be.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Only in Australia..  :unsure:

For now that is...

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Unless you understand that this card could be up to $700 why would you preorder something when you don't know how much it really is going to be.

Pretty stupid strategy. No one even knows the price yet, or the performance. It's like a kickstarter campaign almost. Hope this doesn't bite AMD in the ass...

Hail Sithis!

It may be more for us Australians too... Some people where saying anything up to 1K 

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

It may be more for us Australians too... Some people where saying anything up to 1K 

That's insane. What is wrong with AUS?!

Hail Sithis!

The fact that the only thing we know for sure about this card is its looks and that it is a new architecture is truly not enough, at least to me, to warrant a pre order. Everything we heard about the card has been rumors. Why AMD launched the preorder while giving no other info is really puzzling. 

NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal | Asus Z87-A (don't ask why I have a Z mobo with a non k cpu, have my reasons)| Intel Core i7 4770 | XGIMATEK Dark Knight II| 8GB Corsair Vengeance | 120GB SKHynix | 2tb WD Green | Gigabyte GTX 770 OC | OCZ 750W ZT | Logitech DiNovo Edge | Logitech G602

That's insane. What is wrong with AUS?!

Wow.... Where to begin...

Because it takes so much more cost to ship it from China to Australia than it does from China to NA.

Royally screwed over for no just reason. Know your getting fucked over when it's cheaper to buy from NA and get it shipped to Australia. 

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

The fact that the only thing we know for sure about this card is its looks and that it is a new architecture is truly not enough, at least to me, to warrant a pre order. Everything we heard about the card has been rumors. Why AMD launched the preorder while giving no other info is really puzzling. 

Maybe to gauge the demand for the card, in order to set price. Probably not, that would be a terrible strategy...

Hail Sithis!

Wow.... Where to begin...

yeah, I guess we can save it for another time :)

Hail Sithis!

HardwareCanucks posted an article stating Australian retailers are requiring $200 down when pre-ordering the new Radeon R9-290x and BF4 bundle. The article states this is currently only the case for Australia, it isn't known if other retailers such as Newegg or Ncix (or other popular retailers from around the globe) will require the same down payment. These cards aren't available for pre-order in places other than Australia, but time will tell if this changes.

The article stated quote

''Naturally, this money will go towards the purchase of the card but for a product we know so little about, that’s a monetary risk some may not be willing to take.''

R9-DESPOSIT-1.jpg\

Thoughts? Opinions? Hopes? 

You damn near gave me a heart attack.

I thought the pre-orders started and I had missed it. Please edit the bit about "Australia only" into the Title. Just edit the post, click Full Editor, then you can edit the title. :P

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Maybe to gauge the demand for the card, in order to set price. Probably not, that would be a terrible strategy...

Thats actually can become a marketing nightmare if the card comes out and does not perform how the customer believe it should. All those who pre ordered right now are going of rumored specs and rumored benchmark. If the real specs and benchmark end up being lower, that can cause a big backlash for AMD even though they did not promote or advertise those benchmark.

How i see it is that, they know the card is as or more powerful than current benchmark and that is why they allowed the speculations to continue so close to release and throughout the pre order period.

NZXT Phantom 410 Gunmetal | Asus Z87-A (don't ask why I have a Z mobo with a non k cpu, have my reasons)| Intel Core i7 4770 | XGIMATEK Dark Knight II| 8GB Corsair Vengeance | 120GB SKHynix | 2tb WD Green | Gigabyte GTX 770 OC | OCZ 750W ZT | Logitech DiNovo Edge | Logitech G602

I thought the pre-orders started and I had missed it. Please edit the bit about "Australia only" into the Title. Just edit the post, click Full Editor, then you can edit the title. :P

I didn't want to make the ridiculously long. I had thought about that when I made the thread. People will less likely read a really long titled article, so I went for the sweet spot :)

I also don't want to put Australia only because no one knows if Newegg or Ncix won't do the same thing tomorrow. Trust me, I thought this out xD

Ty for input though, much appreciated.  ;)

Hail Sithis!

Thats actually can become a marketing nightmare if the card comes out and does not perform how the customer believe it should. All those who pre ordered right now are going of rumored specs and rumored benchmark. If the real specs and benchmark end up being lower, that can cause a big backlash for AMD even though they did not promote or advertise those benchmark.

How i see it is that, they know the card is as or more powerful than current benchmark and that is why they allowed the speculations to continue so close to release and throughout the pre order period.

Could go either way, but if it doesn't perform well, I would be pissed if I was someone who shelled out 200 bucks for a pre-order!

Hail Sithis!

Will you be preordering? how does the $200 buy in make you feel about the launch? 

Hail Sithis!

Will you be preordering? how does the $200 buy in make you feel about the launch? 

It is irrelevant to me. I'm buying the GPU regardless. 

Unless I don't understand how a Deposit works. From the way I understand it (which could very well be wrong), the $200 goes towards the GPU (meaning, if it costs $729 later, you will still have to pay the $529 you haven't paid yet), and if you don't get it (i.e. you weren't fast enough to secure one of the 8,000 copies), you get your money back. However, if you put down the deposit and later don't actually buy it, even though you were one of the people who got one (were fast enough), then you don't get your money back. 

That's how I imagined it worked. 

So, in that scheme, saying it is a $200 deposit doesn't mean much to me. I mean, You shouldn't be pre-ordering this card unless you are already convinced you want it. So much so that new benchmarks when it is released don't mean jack to you. That is how I am. I want it because I know it will be better than the 780 and 7970, and come with cool little things like PCI-e Crossfire, the audio stuff, and BF4. They can't take that away (otherwise they doom their business), so I feel it is pretty safe to pre-order it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

It is irrelevant to me. I'm buying the GPU regardless. 

Unless I don't understand how a Deposit works. From the way I understand it (which could very well be wrong), the $200 goes towards the GPU (meaning, if it costs $729 later, you will still have to pay the $529 you haven't paid yet), and if you don't get it (i.e. you weren't fast enough to secure one of the 8,000 copies), you get your money back. However, if you put down the deposit and later don't actually buy it, even though you were one of the people who got one (were fast enough), then you don't get your money back. 

That's how I imagined it worked. 

So, in that scheme, saying it is a $200 deposit doesn't mean much to me. I mean, You shouldn't be pre-ordering this card unless you are already convinced you want it. So much so that new benchmarks when it is released don't mean jack to you. That is how I am. I want it because I know it will be better than the 780 and 7970, and come with cool little things like PCI-e Crossfire, the audio stuff, and BF4. They can't take that away (otherwise they doom their business), so I feel it is pretty safe to pre-order it.

That's one way to look at it, but I think they should tell the final price before doing this sort of thing. This will turn a lot of people away from buying it. I mean no one knows performance numbers for sure yet, manufacturers have been known to lie a little bit about performance before release (not saying this is the case for sure, but we'll find out soon) 

That is how the deposit work. 8000 copies seems a bit weak to be honest, makes me wonder what kind of price it's actually gonna be. 

Hail Sithis!

That's one way to look at it, but I think they should tell the final price before doing this sort of thing. This will turn a lot of people away from buying it. I mean no one knows performance numbers for sure yet, manufacturers have been known to lie a little bit about performance before release (not saying this is the case for sure, but we'll find out soon) 

That is how the deposit work. 8000 copies seems a bit weak to be honest, makes me wonder what kind of price it's actually gonna be. 

If Newegg was any indication that is trustworthy, I would say it is very fairly priced. The whole HTML thing is what I'm talking about btw, and the fact it was changed to a placeholder number, to me, signifies it was real. It implies the GPU itself is about $600, which beats the 780, but I was hoping for $500-$550 myself.

† Christian Member †

If Newegg was any indication that is trustworthy, I would say it is very fairly priced. The whole HTML thing is what I'm talking about btw, and the fact it was changed to a placeholder number, to me, signifies it was real. It implies the GPU itself is about $600, which beats the 780, but I was hoping for $500-$550 myself.

remember when the 780 showed up for 800 bucks on Newegg pre launch? The numbers were obviously incorrect and it launched at a lower price, this could go a similar direction but it could be lower but it also could launch higher than what the Newegg leak had indicated. 

Hail Sithis!

So if the r9 290x is $600 and the Battlefield 4 version is $120 more, it's not really a free game?

So if the r9 290x is $600 and the Battlefield 4 version is $120 more, it's not really a free game?

Yes. It was never going to be a free game. It never said it was going to be a free game. :| It's not the same thing as Never Settle Forever, which I am pretty sure you get the gold tier anyway when you buy a 290X, pre-order or not. 

They never said it would be free. They only said it would be bundled together.

† Christian Member †