New phone battery, apparently I should drain it?

I'm still rocking an old Galaxy S3, in which several batteries have seen better days after existing in it.  I ordered a brand new one from Anker and it's coming in tomorrow.  A friend of mine told me that the first thing that should be done with a new phone or phone battery is to completely drain the battery to 0% and then to charge it all the way back up to 100.  Is there any truth to this?  Is there anything special I should do when it comes in?

[witty signature]

5 minutes ago, Timmy-P said:

I'm still rocking an old Galaxy S3, in which several batteries have seen better days after existing in it.  I ordered a brand new one from Anker and it's coming in tomorrow.  A friend of mine told me that the first thing that should be done with a new phone or phone battery is to completely drain the battery to 0% and then to charge it all the way back up to 100.  Is there any truth to this?  Is there anything special I should do when it comes in?

Well normally I would suggest fully charging it before turning the phone on and then run it out to zero. Once recharged again with the phone off proceed as normal. Charging as daily phone usage permits/needs.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

Yeah like swordsman247 said, charge, discharge, charge.

It calibrates the phone to the battery. Your phone doesn't know what percentage your battery is at, it just makes some intelligent guesses so this helps it be more accurate.

I edit my posts a lot.