New SSD not taking win 7 install

Flashie

My brother got his first SSD today. We double-sided taped it to the case (no drive bays for 2.5" hdd's in his case), and attempted a windows install.

Windows shows the un-allocated space of ~240GB. (Its a Samsung SSD 750 Evo), but whenever i click "next" after clicking that space - it says "Setup was unable to create a new system partition". So i grabbed my memory stick, and a fresh copy of my windows 7 ISO, made a bootable stick from my PC using the ISO, and attempted to install it on his PC. It gave the same error. I proceeded to take the SSD to my personal rig and install windows 7 from there using my stick. It worked. No errors. Windows 7 installed fine, but this disk would now not run on my brothers PC - because the Windows install took my systems specs. So all it does when you try it in his system now, is reach the "Starting Windows" windows 7 logo, and crash - turning off and restarting to the windows Repair/start normally screen. The repair does nothing.

What would be my next move? I've done the diskpart method sofar up to creating a new partition but havnt gotten as far as to activating the partition through that, so i just formatted/deleted it and started over due to time constraints. I told him i'd research and find an answer soon. Appreciate any help

Thanks

Flashie

Is your brother's pc sata set to ahci in the bios? Some ssd's will not install without that. Also some older boards don't handle the gpt format and need the drives to be in mbr.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

After installing the SSD and before installing windows, set the BIOS to load optimized defaults and make sure the SSD is in AHCI.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

After installing the SSD and before installing windows, set the BIOS to load optimized defaults and make sure the SSD is in AHCI.

1 minute ago, swordsman247 said:

Is your brother's pc sata set to ahci in the bios? Some ssd's will not install without that. Also some older boards don't handle the gpt format and need the drives to be in mbr.

Thanks for the replies - Im just gathering info at this stage and will be using all this information tomorrow when i have the PC in my hands again. Right now i've disconnected the sata data cable for now, and re-setup his HDD which he will be using in combo with the SSD. This way he will still be able to work till i can get to the system again.

Just now, Wander Away said:

Linux. :D

One day. On MY pc :P

Just now, Flashie said:

Thanks for the replies - Im just gathering info at this stage and will be using all this information tomorrow when i have the PC in my hands again. Right now i've disconnected the sata data cable for now, and re-setup his HDD which he will be using in combo with the SSD. This way he will still be able to work till i can get to the system again.

Okay, good luck!

Just now, swordsman247 said:

Okay, good luck!

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

His board doesnt have a UEFI bios but rather one of the more grey/blue styled BIOS, evens though (take with a grain of salt), his board is still rather 'new'. But if i were to look tomorrow, id probably find it after looking for a while, but to make things easier - On average where would i find this setting under?

His bios is one of those with the "Basic features" and the "Advanced features" But with many alternative choices too, if that helps

16 minutes ago, Flashie said:

His board doesnt have a UEFI bios but rather one of the more grey/blue styled BIOS, evens though (take with a grain of salt), his board is still rather 'new'. But if i were to look tomorrow, id probably find it after looking for a while, but to make things easier - On average where would i find this setting under?

His bios is one of those with the "Basic features" and the "Advanced features" But with many alternative choices too, if that helps

It would be under the advanced features somewhere, maybe in the chipset or onboard settings.

32 minutes ago, Flashie said:

Remember to unplug the HDD when you try to install windows on the SSD.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Remember to unplug the HDD when you try to install windows on the SSD.

Yup - One of the first things I did. Fortunately ive made that mistake only once with my personal rig and beared the consequences. Therefor i wont do it to a customers PC or any PC im servicing again :)

13 minutes ago, swordsman247 said:

It would be under the advanced features somewhere, maybe in the chipset or onboard settings.

Thanks

Alright so now im with the pc but it is still doing this evens after putting into ahci mode

1469105844057-995256117.jpg