RX 480 AFTERMARKET RELEASE DATE?

42 minutes ago, App4that said:

If I said I wanted to put 960s in SLI people would laugh their ass off.

literally.

!CCiSzj!B2k~$(KGrHqYOKioE0sKbl8P+BNLeC,T

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

4 hours ago, LooneyJuice said:

Concur. A lot of this multi-gpu "freshness" is once again coming up as a result of a new releases. Multi-gpu setups have always had issues, and always will, especially when it's up to developers to accommodate it. You're asking developers to spend a good chunk of time optimizing a platform for a niche multi-gpu audience. Not everyone is going to do that. AAA titles occasionally do because of the prestige, and the fact that more players means that multi-gpu setups are going to become a good chunk of the demographic simply due to the law of averages.

Additionally, all this Vulkan and DX12 hype is just that, hype. Sure it may become better in the future, and all that jazz, but the keywords here are "may" and "future". What about all the current, future, and past DX9/11/OGL games etc. Just because Vulkan and DX12 may favor multi-GPU setups more, doesn't make the rest mysteriously work better. 

Exactly. I was also a victim of all that Vulkan / DX12 Hype. Was too reluctant to buy the 1070. When I finally said screw it. There's no assurance as of now seeing that it's still in its infancy stages (DX12 / Vulkan) in terms of it being implemented in current games / upcoming games.

Though those 2 are nice. :)

7 hours ago, LooneyJuice said:

Additionally, all this Vulkan and DX12 hype is just that, hype.

I remember when DX 10 and DX 11 were just hype lol.

6 hours ago, Brian McKee said:

I remember when DX 10 and DX 11 were just hype lol.

This original line was overemphasized, but yes, DX10 and 11 were hype back in the day, true.. DX10 even more so since stuff ended up running worse :D. DX11 for all intents and purposes was a fix, and somewhat of an increase in visual fidelity.

Admittedly, we've actually seen some of the performance increases materialize now. But more so, and mainly with Vulkan, and it's not like the whole industry is going to release everything with Vulakn support any time soon. DX12 has been a mixed bag so far. A lot of the fancy new features still relying on developers enabling them. It's AOTS all over again. You'll have people using 2 trademark phrases/buzzwords now. AOTS and Doom. Is AOTS and Doom the whole gaming industry? No, it is not.

And at least to AOTS's credit, even devs said the implementation wasn't perfect.

9 hours ago, ZakuII said:

Exactly. I was also a victim of all that Vulkan / DX12 Hype. Was too reluctant to buy the 1070. When I finally said screw it. There's no assurance as of now seeing that it's still in its infancy stages (DX12 / Vulkan) in terms of it being implemented in current games / upcoming games.

Though those 2 are nice. :)

Well I'm not going about it from the "Buy into NV" or "Buy into the AMD" angle, for me it's more  "don't base current purchases on promises". Sure I could rave about AMD's significant lead with the new API's, but then then they've been hogging die space for those operations a couple of generations now with GCN cards, which hasn't helped in other instances.

In all honesty, when it comes to your 1070 for example, sure, we even saw R9 Fury jump forward. But that was only Vulkan, and then, only Doom. For everything else, the R9 Fury, even though in broadly the same ballpark performance, would still be a step down. Additionally, any AMD higher-end solution that is truly in the same performance range is still a ways away. It's a bit of an awkward time for GPU purchases if you have some cash to burn. Not to mention that, at the end of the day, the keyphrase for me is "use case". If your game/application list has a huge array of titles not on the newer APIs, you can't possibly take the newer DX12/Vulkan metrics into account as easily. If on the other hand, we're starting to see more DX12 titles popping up with the fancy feature sets included (not everything DX12 does async compute), and you're the type of person who closely keeps up with current releases, by all means, buy into something that can leverage the power.

I gotta keep the damn writing in control. :P

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right