So much hate for the Strix when mine is an amazing performer.

4 minutes ago, Tom Hanks said:

At this point it's becoming like Haswell... die is too small to cool, as the surface area is so small, or am i wrong?

i'd see the small die become a problem in terms of the amount of heat pipes they can strap to them, compared to the wattage of the chip. (i somehow feel like that's why the new cards consume so much less)

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

But it does increase longevity.

how long does a gpu die last?

i've had a centrino duo from the early windows vista days run at 95°c for most of its lifetime, and it's still operational to this day.

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i've had a centrino duo from the early windows vista days run at 95°c for most of its lifetime, and it's still operational to this day.

That is one hot little chip.

21 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but more heat coming OFF the gpu and into your room is a good thing. That means that the cooler is doing its job.

Also, I've been outta the loop for a while, whos hating on strix cards and for what reason?

Well the main reason for me "hating" on the strix was the looks of the fans and even though they have 3 fans on the 1070 now they still look strange to me. I just don't like them however I never recommended or denied a recommendation to the strix as I have never looked into benchmarks of those myself nor owned one.

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Cooler Noctua NH-D15S | MB Asus ROG Strix B550 A-Gaming | RAM 2 x G.Skill Trident Z Royal silver 16 GB @ 3200 MHz CL14 | GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8G

Case Fractal Design Define C TG | SSD(s) Boot: Samsung 970 EVO 250 GBPrograms: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TBData: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB | PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750W

Screen(s) Main: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-mhd, Second: Asus PB277Q, Third: LG Flatron E2240T | Keyboard Ducky One (MX Blues) | Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCIe, System: Edifier R1280DB | OS Windows 10, 64 Bit

3 minutes ago, Sparkko said:

That is one hot little chip.

blame HP's laptop department xD

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

blame HP's laptop department xD

Every HP I've owned has self destructed :D I had a Pavilion that I could cook eggs on under normal use.

This is an interesting conversation to say the least.

I own GTX1080 Strix and I have no complaints it is quit does not run hot highest temps under load is around 60C and I have decent performance without overclocking. So my personal experience has been  pretty good.

I owned the Gigabyty G1 Gaming GTX770 OC and that thing literally sounded as if my case was about to take off when its fans started spooling up.

i just think the asus gpu line up have been very... rough since they usually straps their nvidia coolers onto amd coolers all lazy like and then theres a RMA horror stories. so theres that and lets be honest evga and msi xfx sapphire are all god tier in customer service and performance 

18 minutes ago, DavidB722 said:

i just think the asus gpu line up have been very... rough since they usually straps their nvidia coolers onto amd coolers all lazy like and then theres a RMA horror stories. so theres that and lets be honest evga and msi xfx sapphire are all god tier in customer service and performance 

The opposite is true as well - they used the Fury cooler on the 980 Ti and as a result 2 of the heatpipes on the 980 TI don't make contact.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

27 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

The opposite is true as well - they used the Fury cooler on the 980 Ti and as a result 2 of the heatpipes on the 980 TI don't make contact.

Is the Strix Fury actually good?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

2 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Hell no :D

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

pics or didn't happen! Including fan speed please.

14 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

asus kinda has a reputation of not doin so well on the AMD side. which is kinda what made me surprised when a friend told me how well their R9 390 strix was doing.

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

generally with things that old capacitors and whatnot will go first. and solder cracks

1 minute ago, harrynowl said:

generally with things that old capacitors and whatnot will go first. and solder cracks

to be honest, that's still the case. the silicon of a cpu or gpu doesnt have a sensible "best before" date, and the silicon lotery may have more impact on that lifespan than some mild overclocking or temperature.

chances are the product will be obsolete before any of its hardware components will fail.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

asus kinda has a reputation of not doin so well on the AMD side. which is kinda what made me surprised when a friend told me how well their R9 390 strix was doing.

friends lying...i have the 980ti strix and it's a real pain to keep it bellow 78c in games and the fans are stupid loud at anything past 55% fanspeed...it's garbage...looks super good though in my system...so, nice looking POS.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

friends lying...i have the 980ti strix and it's a real pain to keep it bellow 78c in games and the fans are stupid loud at anything past 55% fanspeed...it's garbage...looks super good though in my system...so, nice looking POS.

not that kind of friend. the person was actually worried about the thing working correctly, and i had to ensure her that it's possible that GPUs are quiet.

also, if your friends feel the need to lie about the quietness of their system, you need new friends.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

not that kind of friend. the person was actually worried about the thing working correctly, and i had to ensure her that it's possible that GPUs are quiet.

also, if your friends feel the need to lie about the quietness of their system, you need new friends.

it's quiet when on the desktop...or playing minesweeper...because the fans don't spin...but when you play star wars battlefront at 1440p trust me it's LOUD...LOUD LOUD LOUD...or HOT...HOT HOT HOT...pick your poison.

Fast as fuck though and overclock rather nicely...but fans are cheaper than intel's stock cooler fan...and there are 3 of them...you should hear that thing running at 80% fanspeed it's as loud as a hairdryer set to max power (no kidding) and at 100% seriously i thought the card would take off...it's REDICULOUS.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

it's quiet when on the desktop...or playing minesweeper...because the fans don't spin...but when you play star wars battlefront at 1440p trust me it's LOUD...LOUD LOUD LOUD...or HOT...HOT HOT HOT...pick your poison.

Fast as fuck though and overclock rather nicely...but fans are cheaper than intel's stock cooler fan...and there are 3 of them...you should hear that thing running at 80% fanspeed it's as loud as a hairdryer set to max power (no kidding) and at 100% seriously i thought the card would take off...it's REDICULOUS.

i've actually went over it with her, and seemingly its a very good card in the audio department.

also, what kind of FPS are we talking here? my 970 is pretty much dead silent when 100% load means 60FPS.

14 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i've actually went over it with her, and seemingly its a very good card in the audio department.

also, what kind of FPS are we talking here? my 970 is pretty much dead silent when 100% load means 60FPS.

Well i game at 1440p and it's a 980ti so i'm getting anywhere from 80FPS to 120FPS depending on the game i usually aim for max settings...or max settings that get met at least 70FPS for minimum.

The card is at 105% power limit, and +50mhz on the core...+400 on memory. (1435mhz core and 8100mhz memory)
I have a fancurve that aim for a 72c and 50% fanspeed...but the card usually settle at around 76c with 55% fanspeed (at which point it's quite loud, and a bit hot for my liking) these temps only occur in the more demanding games (witcher 3 or SW battlefront for example) but if i'm playing say rocket league...then the card gets to around 70c with 48% fanspeed which is what i would like to see in those more demanding titles but it's not the case.

Well i game at 1440p and it's a 980ti so i'm getting anywhere from 80FPS to 120FPS depending on the game i usually aim for max settings...or max settings that get met at least 70FPS for minimum.

The card is at 105% power limit, and +50mhz on the core...+400 on memory.
I have a fancurve that aim for a 72c and 50% fanspeed...but the card usually settle at around 76c with 55% fanspeed (at which point it's quite loud, and a bit hot for my liking) these temps only occur in the more demanding games (witcher 3 or SW battlefront for example) but if i'm playing say rocket league...then the card gets to around 70c with 48% fanspeed which is what i would like to see in those more demanding titles but it's not the case.

let me reiterate what you have seeminly missed about my earlier posts.

"asus 900 series cards arent built to be great overclockers"

"asus 900 series cards are designed to run hotter than others"

it's been more than a year, can we now FINALLY bury the idea that its impossible for an asus card to be not obnoxiously loud?

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

let me reiterate what you have seeminly missed about my earlier posts.

"asus 900 series cards arent built to be great overclockers"

"asus 900 series cards are designed to run hotter than others"

it's been more than a year, can we now FINALLY bury the idea that its impossible for an asus card to be not obnoxiously loud?

Are you even being serious?!
''designed to run hotter than others'' WTF?! aren't those supposed to be designed to run as cool and quiet as possible and overclock as best as possible?!

Well there you go...that confirms what i've said: Those cards are garbage inferior models when compaired to other offerings.

Are you even being serious?!
''designed to run hotter than others'' WTF?! aren't those supposed to be designed to run as cool and quiet as possible and overclock as best as possible?!

Well there you go...that confirms what i've said: Those cards are garbage inferior models when compaired to other offerings.

- hot doesnt mean less heat dissipation.

- not everyone is an overclocking enthousiast, in fact a lot of people dont bother

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

- hot doesnt mean less heat dissipation.

- not everyone is an overclocking enthousiast, in fact a lot of people dont bother

lol dude
Asus made my GTX 980ti with a freaking 13+2 power phase delivery...the card is about 8 inches tall and 13 inches long and it weight like 30 freaking pounds...so if this is not meant for overclockers then WTF is that stupidly overbuilt design for?! and then they slaped the cheapest freaking loud ass louzy fans i have EVER seen on ANY device that i've owned up to this day it's terrible the fan quality is simply terrible...like i said: even worse than the stock intel fan...i would go as far as to say that it's ALMOST as bad as the stock FX-8320 fan that i had...and then they go as far as to market this card as one of the quietest card with the owl on it and shit...it's real bullshit, the card is big bulky heavy it's sags a whole and still it's running hot as fuck.
Only thing it does well is that the ''out of the box'' clockspeed are fairly high and then the card looks really good...other than that it's garbage.