i5 6500, 6600 or 6600k?

For 60fps 1080p (maybe 1440p?) AAA gaming which cpu should I get? Is there a major difference between the 6500 and 6600? If the 6600 is worth it then will I get a noticeable performance boost if I get a 6600k and over clock? But then I would need a better mobo and a cpu cooler.

what do you think? 

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, BenKavanagh said:

For 60fps 1080p (maybe 1440p?) AAA gaming which cpu should I get? Is there a major difference between the 6500 and 6600? If the 6600 is worth it then will I get a noticeable performance boost if I get a 6600k and over clock? But then I would need a better mobo and a cup cooler.

what do you think? 

Thanks!

Do you have the budget for 6600k? I'm not talking just the CPU but also Mobo and the "Cup" cooler. if yes go on ahead. If not go with 6500 good price and doesn't differ that much from 6600

DESKTOP PC :

CPU :RYZEN 5 2600/ GPU :MSI Ventus OC GTX 1660 Ti/ RAM :Team Elite 2x8/ PSU :Corsair CX650M/ HDD :Toshiba 2TB/ SSD :Adata XPG M.2 SATA 265GB/ COOLER :Be Quite 2x140mm / MOBO :Asus TUF B450 Gaming

LAPTOP :

CPU :i7-4710HQ/ GPU :GTX 860M/ RAM :8GB OEM/ HDD :1 TB 

PERIPHERALS :

MOUSE :LOGITECH G502/ HEADSET :HyperX Cloud Alpha/ KEYBOARD :Logitech G Pro 

POSSIBLE PC BUILD :

PC PART LINK

6 minutes ago, BenKavanagh said:

For 60fps 1080p (maybe 1440p?) AAA gaming which cpu should I get? Is there a major difference between the 6500 and 6600? If the 6600 is worth it then will I get a noticeable performance boost if I get a 6600k and over clock? But then I would need a better mobo and a cup cooler.

what do you think? 

Thanks!

It comes down to what you want to do. Unless you want the noticeably higher investment to overclock I would just get a 6600. But if you don't mind the extra 1-200 dollars then I would get the "k" processor and give it a nice overclock.

7 minutes ago, Annoyingnerds said:

Do you have the budget for 6600k? I'm not talking just the CPU but also Mobo and the "Cup" cooler. if yes go on ahead. If not go with 6500 good price and doesn't differ that much from 6600

Lets compare the costs to performance. currently a 6500 is 200 bucks. a 6600 is 215 (according to PCpartpicker, and not including tax). the 6600 operates at 3.9 GHz, the 6500 at 3.6 GHz.

In otherwords, the 6600 costs 7.5% more than the 6500, and has an 8.3% faster clock speed than the 6500. And against the cost of an entire computer (lets say 1000 bucks) this extra 15 bucks is now only an extra 1.5% cost for an 8.3% faster CPU

the 6600k is going to cost even more though, since you're going to need a Z series board, and a more expensive cooling solution in order to really get the most out of your overclocks. It would be unnecessary for 60 fps at 1080p, but some people really love overclocking and don't mind the investment.

Just get whichever you can best afford. If you buy one that is more expensive, you're going to get a (roughly) proportionate performance increase that will match the pricetag.

My recommendation is the 6600

6600 over 6500 is not worth it, you're paying a hefty premium for small performance benefits.

6600K over 6600 is good, but to take full advantage of it you need a high quality Z170 MoBo and a good cooler, and you'll also pay a hefty premium for that.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

3 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

6600 over 6500 is not worth it, you're paying a hefty premium for small performance benefits.

When did 15 bucks become a "hefty premium"?

2 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

6600K over 6600 is good, but to take full advantage of it you need a high quality Z170 MoBo and a good cooler, and you'll also pay a hefty premium for that.

I agreed with him, and what GPU are you trying to get

4 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Lets compare the costs to performance. currently a 6500 is 200 bucks. a 6600 is 215 (according to PCpartpicker, and not including tax). the 6600 operates at 3.9 GHz, the 6500 at 3.6 GHz.

In otherwords, the 6600 costs 7.5% more than the 6500, and has an 8.3% faster clock speed than the 6500. And against the cost of an entire computer (lets say 1000 bucks) this extra 15 bucks is now only an extra 1.5% cost for an 8.3% faster CPU

the 6600k is going to cost even more though, since you're going to need a Z series board, and a more expensive cooling solution in order to really get the most out of your overclocks. It would be unnecessary for 60 fps at 1080p, but some people really love overclocking and don't mind the investment.

Just get whichever you can best afford. If you buy one that is more expensive, you're going to get a (roughly) proportionate performance increase that will match the pricetag.

My recommendation is the 6600

And also him, but change that 6600 to 6500

DESKTOP PC :

CPU :RYZEN 5 2600/ GPU :MSI Ventus OC GTX 1660 Ti/ RAM :Team Elite 2x8/ PSU :Corsair CX650M/ HDD :Toshiba 2TB/ SSD :Adata XPG M.2 SATA 265GB/ COOLER :Be Quite 2x140mm / MOBO :Asus TUF B450 Gaming

LAPTOP :

PERIPHERALS :

POSSIBLE PC BUILD :

PC PART LINK

2 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

When did 15 bucks become a "hefty premium"?

15 bucks could feed the whole African tribes. Think of that

DESKTOP PC :

LAPTOP :

PERIPHERALS :

POSSIBLE PC BUILD :

PC PART LINK

8 minutes ago, Annoyingnerds said:

15 bucks could feed the whole African tribes. Think of that

Well that escalated quickly

You guys are so ridiculous lol. I mean, if he doesn't want to make that investment he doesn't have to. if he thinks a 6500 is all he will need (which it probably is) then that's fine. But you DO get a good performance boost in relation to the minimal cost increase in order to get there.

5 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

This just in. Spending an extra 15 bucks on your CPU makes you a war criminal!

You guys are so ridiculous lol. I mean, if he doesn't want to make that investment he doesn't have to. if he thinks a 6500 is all he will need (which it probably is) then that's fine. But you DO get a good performance boost in relation to the minimal cost increase in order to get there.

I mean by reading his first post, He said that he might need to buy a new Mobo and "Cup" Cooler if he upgraded to 6600k, which is a lot. So I believe he's somewhat able to spend some amount of money on PC. But what I don't know is what kind of AAA game is he trying to run, like some AAA game doesn't even give a single fuck on what your CPU is.

DESKTOP PC :

LAPTOP :

PERIPHERALS :

POSSIBLE PC BUILD :

PC PART LINK

2 minutes ago, Annoyingnerds said:

I mean by reading his first post, He said that he might need to buy a new Mobo and "Cup" Cooler if he upgraded to 6600k, which is a lot. So I believe he's somewhat able to spend some amount of money on PC. But what I don't know is what kind of AAA game is he trying to run, like some AAA game doesn't even give a single fuck on what your CPU is.

Will doom run well on a 6600?

I believe we need more than that, this is skylake.

DESKTOP PC :

LAPTOP :

PERIPHERALS :

POSSIBLE PC BUILD :

PC PART LINK

Doom could run on FX-6300, so an i5 6600 could probably do easily. what GPU did you have?

DESKTOP PC :

LAPTOP :

PERIPHERALS :

POSSIBLE PC BUILD :

PC PART LINK

Are you talking about the cooler?

yes

DESKTOP PC :

LAPTOP :

PERIPHERALS :

POSSIBLE PC BUILD :

PC PART LINK

3 minutes ago, BenKavanagh said:

You might not need any water cooler, but that fan looks hella weak

DESKTOP PC :

LAPTOP :

PERIPHERALS :

POSSIBLE PC BUILD :

PC PART LINK

4 minutes ago, Annoyingnerds said:

Doom could run on FX-6300, so an i5 6600 could probably do easily. what GPU did you have?

Thinking about a r9 380 4gb

1 minute ago, BenKavanagh said:

I believe it's gonna run like a butter

DESKTOP PC :

LAPTOP :

PERIPHERALS :

POSSIBLE PC BUILD :

PC PART LINK

How good does the cpu cooler have to be to overclock well? Will this do?: http://www.deepcool.com/product/cpucooler/2015-09/7_4054.shtml

Well you could get  4-4.4 GHz pretty easily on cheap air cooler (depending on silicon lottery and exactly how cheap the cooler is). but if you're looking to push higher clocks, you're going to need more expensive cooling solutions in order to keep those temps down.

Skylake is one of the coolest CPU lines ever made. Overclocking is still going to get those temps up, but with how power efficient components keep becoming, its going to be easier to cool than previous the generations.

5 minutes ago, BenKavanagh said:

Pretty much every game everywhere for a long time yet will run quite well on a 6600 (or even 6500) at 60 fps at 1080p. Depending on the GPU you throw in there it may not be PERFECT, but if you're on a budget, its a really good option. contrary to popular beliefs, you don't NEED super fast OC'd CPU's in order to play games. I have a 6700k that I have underclocked to 4GHz, and it PEAKS at 50% usage on individual cores in the games I play.

Get an RX 480 instead unless there is some very specific reason you decided to get that 380. the 480 is going to be much better in every way, and have a only slightly higher price to the 380 (at least once the prices level out, the 480's are inflated right now). That isn't to say the 380 isn't enough, just that if you get a 480 instead, you're going to have a rock solid machine for the foreseeable future.

7 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Well you could get  4-4.4 GHz pretty easily on cheap air cooler (depending on silicon lottery and exactly how cheap the cooler is). but if you're looking to push higher clocks, you're going to need more expensive cooling solutions in order to keep those temps down.

Skylake is one of the coolest CPU lines ever made. Overclocking is still going to get those temps up, but with how power efficient components keep becoming, its going to be easier to cool than previous the generations.

Pretty much every game everywhere for a long time yet will run quite well on a 6600 (or even 6500) at 60 fps at 1080p. Depending on the GPU you throw in there it may not be PERFECT, but if you're on a budget, its a really good option. contrary to popular beliefs, you don't NEED super fast OC'd CPU's in order to play games. I have a 6700k that I have underclocked to 4GHz, and it PEAKS at 50% usage on individual cores in the games I play.

Get an RX 480 instead unless there is some very specific reason you decided to get that 380. the 480 is going to be much better in every way, and have a only slightly higher price to the 380 (at least once the prices level out, the 480's are inflated right now). That isn't to say the 380 isn't enough, just that if you get a 480 instead, you're going to have a rock solid machine for the foreseeable future.

R9 380 used for 170 cad.

1 minute ago, BenKavanagh said:

R9 380 used for 170 cad.

Don't buy used, unless you really trust that guy won't fuck you up with a fried GPU

DESKTOP PC :

LAPTOP :

PERIPHERALS :

POSSIBLE PC BUILD :

PC PART LINK

On 7/18/2016 at 7:46 AM, Annoyingnerds said:

Don't buy used, unless you really trust that guy won't fuck you up with a fried GPU

Deep fried GPUs are tasty though.

The Crimson Shadow

• CPU:                Intel Core i5 6600k - OC to 4795.97MHz @ 1.308V
  • GPU:                Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming GTX 980 OC to 1454MHz 1553MHz
  • CPU Cooler:         Corsair H100i v2 Liquid Cooler - Replaced fans with SP120 fans
  • RAM:                Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 8GB (2*4GB) @ 2568MHz
  • Motherboard:        Gigabyte z170X Gaming 6
  • Storage:            2TB Seagate Barracuda 7.2K - 240GB Corsair Force LE
  • Case:               NZXT H440 Red and Black
  • Power Supply:       Antec Edge 750w Fully Modular
  • Monitor:            BenQ XL2411Z 144hz Monitor -1080p (24")
  • Keyboard:           Razer Blackwidow Chroma
  • Mouse:              Razer Deathadder Chroma
  • Headset:            Razer Kraken Chroma

4 hours ago, T99 said:

Deep fried GPUs are tasty though.

Yeah I know, put some ketchup and cheese on top wrap it in a tortilla like a burrito.

DESKTOP PC :

LAPTOP :

PERIPHERALS :

POSSIBLE PC BUILD :

PC PART LINK