Should I buy a HTC Vive or custom loop water cooling?

I'm in debate on whether to custom loop water cool my pc or buy an htc vive.  Both are around the same price.  Any advice?

HTC Vive, custom loops are really only for looks and as long as your GPU isn't overheating and you don't need that small overclocking gain, get the Vive.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Vive if you want to enjoy the half-baked VR experience now. Custom Loop if you want a fun project and a pc that both is dead silent (assuming you make it so), and drop dead beautiful.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Vive. I love mine. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Neither. But if you really want to spend your money then go for Vive. I tried it and it was great, just have in mind that there are barely any good games for it and most of them are just tech demo.

Best VR game/simulation atm is probably Universe Sandbox 2 (square root 2... don't know how to type it on phone).

Get The Vive if your system isn't overheating

Current Setup

CPU: Intel Core I5 6600K with Deepcool frostwin v2.0 twin tower

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI

Memory/RAM: Avexir Core Series 8GB SDRAM DDR4 2400Mhz 2x4

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 960 Windforce G1 Gaming 2GB VRAM

Case: AZZA CSAZ-207BL ATX Mid Tower

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: Corsair MX600M

Sound: Razer Adaros

Displays: 23" LG Flatron W2343T and 24" Acer P244W

Keyboard: XTREME Wired Keyboard and Mouse

Operating System:Windows 10

Laptop: MSI GE62 6QD Apache Pro

Intel Core i7-6700HQ

16GB DDR4

GTX 960M

1TB HDD

Windows 10

20 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

HTC Vive, custom loops are really only for looks and as long as your GPU isn't overheating and you don't need that small overclocking gain, get the Vive.

Are you high, drunk or under any medications that may effect your way of thinking?

Custom loops are NOT at ALL for looks. @Lays can tell you that with his monstrous total of 1080mm of radiator space

4 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

Are you high, drunk or under any medications that may effect your way of thinking?

Custom loops are NOT at ALL for looks. @Lays can tell you that with his monstrous total of 1080mm of radiator space

Most custom loops are more for looks, a 1080mm rad sounds crazy and cool but unless you're doing extreme really crazy overclocking, you don't really need them.

Edited by ShadowTechXTS

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

35 minutes ago, AliveCupajoe said:

I'm in debate on whether to custom loop water cool my pc or buy an htc vive.  Both are around the same price.  Any advice?

Personally, I can recommend the HTC Vive. It offers a true virtual reality experience that nothing else on the market can compete with for this price point.

Thank you for your consideration and have a good day.

Id hold off on the Vive. It's awesome, but there is still a small number of games available for it and you need to see if you have the space for it, since not all games are sit/stand.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Vive lol. 

And another stick of RAM while you're at it.

Spoiler

I wouldn't buy a $800 watercooling loop. You can do it for 1/4 of that price and get a loop that can cool your CPU and GPU and get a quiet machine. But honestly the days of watercooling getting more performance passed, the last time that really worked was with the 3930k and it was fair more effective on the original i7's. I am sure it will return someday but currently its not really worth much other than being quieter given sufficient radiator space.

So get the Vive.