Can't connect to my 5ghz network

TheMidnightNarwhal

I can connect to my 2.4 but not my 5ghz. My wifi is integrated in my board and pretty sure it's dual band,  802.11 a/b/g/n/ac  are the spes.

which board is it? it might not be dual band. otherwise, it could be a range issue, since 5ghz has a much shorter effective range, it might not show up

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

1 minute ago, DrM said:

which board is it? it might not be dual band. otherwise, it could be a range issue, since 5ghz has a much shorter effective range, it might not show up

Asus VI Impact. It shows up in my wireless networks, connects and all and then says cannot connect to network. I wanted to have 5ghz to pair with my bluetooths so my net doesn't get destroyed.

What?

How would your net "get destroyed"??

Bluetooth doesn't even use 5GHz....

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

What?

How would your net "get destroyed"??

Bluetooth doesn't even use 5GHz....

Exactly. I can't connect to 5ghz, I'm on 2.4ghz, I want to go on my 5ghz but I can't connect.

And now my 5ghz doesn't appear at all. Wtf, right now I feel 5ghz is such a gimmick, if it has this low range this is so stupid.

2 minutes ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

And now my 5ghz doesn't appear at all. Wtf, right now I feel 5ghz is such a gimmick, if it has this low range this is so stupid.

It doesn't have same range, but it's far from a gimmick.  Where is your router in relations to the motherboard?

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

It doesn't have same range, but it's far from a gimmick.  Where is your router in relations to the motherboard?

A floor above. It's right above it, then maybe 2 meters away.

4 minutes ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

A floor above. It's right above it, then maybe 2 meters away.

Yeah that shouldn't be a problem.  It's not a concrete floor as in your trying to run 5Ghz from a router from an apartment below?

Yeah that shouldn't be a problem.  It's not a concrete floor as in your trying to run 5Ghz from a router from an apartment below?

But now I don't even see it anymore in my networks list. God damnit. I'm using my bluetooth on 2.4 still get around 15mbs to 20mbs not that bad but still, I pay more for nothing right now.

Im actually trying to solve the same problem right now...

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

8 minutes ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

But now I don't even see it anymore in my networks list. God damnit. I'm using my bluetooth on 2.4 still get around 15mbs to 20mbs not that bad but still, I pay more for nothing right now.

Are you using the generic Windows driver for the NIC or are you using the driver supply from Asus?

23 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Are you using the generic Windows driver for the NIC or are you using the driver supply from Asus?

Just did. Now I see it. Connect to it, enter password, and little dots go by and then ":cannot connect to network" I can still conect to my 2.4ghz network fine.

Just did. Now I see it. Connect to it, enter password, and little dots go by and then ":cannot connect to network" I can still conect to my 2.4ghz network fine.

Did you try rebooting after you installed the new Asus driver? 

9 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Did you try rebooting after you installed the new Asus driver? 

Yes

1 minute ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

Yes

The last thing I could suggest is completely uninstalling the device and driver and reinstalling it fresh.  

The last thing I could suggest is completely uninstalling the device and driver and reinstalling it fresh.  

That's what I did trying 2 different drivers. 

1 minute ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

That's what I did trying 2 different drivers. 

I'm pretty sure that you're having a driver issue.  The Wireless AC adapter on my board works pretty awesome.  It is a different Asus board though.  Anytime I've had issues with onboard WiFi in the past, it was driver related and completely fixable.

5 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I'm pretty sure that you're having a driver issue.  The Wireless AC adapter on my board works pretty awesome.  It is a different Asus board though.  Anytime I've had issues with onboard WiFi in the past, it was driver related and completely fixable.

Well correct me if I'm wrong and I feel so stupid for like, not even being sure about this and I work in IT (:P), oh boy, but I went in device manager and just right clicked unistalled everything wifi related, which was only one. I can send you a screenshots of what I have. I got one for Ethernet, one for Wifi and the rest a TAP VPN and bluetooth and BB. 

m2ycbMT.jpg

if you have a apple device use that to see if that can connect up if it can't reset the network access point, if you are still having problems and you got it recently or it's under warranty return it it might be faulty or damaged

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

2 minutes ago, samiscool51 said:

if you have a apple device use that to see if that can connect up if it can't reset the network access point, if you are still having problems and you got it recently or it's under warranty return it it might be faulty or damaged

On my iPod 5th gen gives me incorrect password... tried 5 times, 100% sure I have entered my password correctly.

Well correct me if I'm wrong and I feel so stupid for like, not even being sure about this and I work in IT (:P), oh boy, but I went in device manager and just right clicked unistalled everything wifi related, which was only one. I can send you a screenshots of what I have. I got one for Ethernet, one for Wifi and the rest a TAP VPN and bluetooth and BB. 

That's it.  Make sure that you uninstalled the Intel software from Programs and Features within the Control Panel and you're set to reinstall.

hmm....

try any device that has a network card that is commpatible with the 5ghz band and make sure that it has the latest drivers/updates installed that might give more info about what is happening

1 minute ago, samiscool51 said:

hmm....

try any device that has a network card that is commpatible with the 5ghz band and make sure that it has the latest drivers/updates installed that might give more info about what is happening

Changed PW to 123456789 and no luck. My only devices are my PC and my iPod 5th gen that have 5ghz capabilty. One thing I noticied is when I set SSIDs for my 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks I have a channel bandwith option, 20mhz, 40mhz or both selected. Both selected are set for both networks. Dunno if that has something to do.

try reseting the point to factry defults it might be something you configered and it broke it