Parents finally get the ISP crap is crap, YES!

mcraftax

So my parents have finally understood the ISP provided router/switch/ap/modem is crap.

(Don't make me explain the amount of time I have spent getting to this point and what has been needed to get here. FINALLY!!!! :))

So at the moment we use the ISP provided (TalkTalk (UK)) D-Link DSL-3780. It covers like 2/3 of the house wellish with wifi. I know all it other limitations like only been 100-BaseT eta.

So for ages i have been looking at the Ubiquiti equipment and i think it should be the best, also i want to learn some technologies from this.

But there is other options too.

networkMap.pngSo there area (google earth polygon) is the house.

Green is most of the garden.

Orange is where the phone comes in (lower floor).

So, the wireless setup needs to cover the whole house and idealy some of the close garden.

(i would love to put an outside ap up at the solarpanels where there is a seating area but that costs more.)

The house if build of stone (converted barn).

Outer walls are stone, about 50 to 60cm thick.

Downstairs inside walls are blocks, about 17cm thick

Upstairs inside walls are plaster board walls.

This is a very thick stone column in the inner right-anger.

For wired, i will probably only be me. On the end of SW arm (don't include anything to do with this as i will do this another time)

Only thing is, powerline is run to a TV box in the far SE arm which just get past on streaming so, for now that can stay the same too.

So my parents want to spend the least possible (like anyone with no appreciation for tech, they don't get "if you pay crap, you get crap") but I think it has to be decent and i have some power persuasion.

I was thinking a UniFi AC AP (idk which one, Lite is lower cost but may not do, so maybe Pro and how many?)

For the router, not sure really. Maybe a EdgeRouter, Lite? Or UniFi Security Gateway

For a switch, i would like to get a managed one to learn about them but unmanaged is cheap, so i suppose unmanaged. Not may ports, more than 4 though. 8 probably as you can't get 6.

(After i have saved up to build a pc, i can do a network lab but that will be years way.)

For a modem, I was thinking of using the ISP router as a modem, putting it in bridge mode or similar. But if we got a good modem, would it improve upload speed if is more powerful, we live over 2km from the cabinet? (it is ADLS but may become VDLS if i get them to upgrade).

Devices on the network at them moment are:

Wireless:

2 laptops, 4 phones, 1 tablet.

Wired/Powerline:

TV box, Pi

Changes:

My laptop.

In the future:

Hopefully my pc

another Pi to connect the usb printer to the network and one of them to be a UniFi controller also.

Maybe other devices.

Sorry about the length and how lame this setup will be. I have probably missed something out though too.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :)

Max

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

Awesome! :D 

I would go for 2 UAP-Lite (it does not seem like you need the extra bandwidth the pros give with the amount of clients you have)

If you really like to tinker with stuff and monitor your traffic from cacti, syslog etc, get the EdgeRouter - else get the USG.

The new UniFi controller is really awesome and DPI is really "fun" to dive into with the USG.

If you need coverage outside, you might want to see if the indoor units reach what you need or you can get a UAP Outdoor unit and place it on the corner of the building.

You should use your ISPs modem/router for a modem and not get your own. There will be very limited (if any at all) benefit to buying your own modem and often there are compatibility issues or software issues with the modems/routers that are not certified by the ISP.

VDSL would be a really bad idea if you are more than 1km away from the nearest DSLAM, so I would keep that 14M/1.5M you are probably getting with your current ADSL.

If your ISP builds a DSLAM closer to you (within 1km), you should go for VDSL. I am not aware if your ISP is using Pair-Bonding or Vectoring for VDSL yet, but those will benefit a lot from being close to the DSLAM.

When you have set up your new network, remember to disable the wifi in the ISP modem/router :) 

7 hours ago, InVis said:

-snip-

Thanks.

Is there any real difference between the edgerouter and the usg other than price, is it better to control everything from the unifi controller?

On the A/VDLS.

We currently get 7mbps down and 0.8 mbps up. ISP predicted download is 6.5mbps.

They predict with VDLS we could get about 17mbps (15~19) down... wait?!? (i just checked again...).

They have lowered it to 13~15mbps down?!?! Those few extra mbps really count with a slowish connection like this. WTF?

(Does not say an upload speed) This is the fastest package available here too.

(look into how uk ISP work, all but one piggy backs on the main one but that other on is not in the area)

These speed mostly match with results i have found

(I also looked at the business plan, not better other than been business which would be nice but they will never get that)

Thanks man, greatly appreciated. :)

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

@InVis is there anything bad in this?

Picture1.png

I know the cables are a mash up of brands but that is what they have.

Thanks

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

3 hours ago, mcraftax said:

@InVis is there anything bad in this?

Picture1.png

I know the cables are a mash up of brands but that is what they have.

Thanks

Seems fine :) Does not really matter what brand the cables are, they all adhere to the same standard :) 

Yes, there are a lot of differences on the EdgeRouter and the USG.

For normal private customers, i would go for the USG.

The EdgeRouter is better suited for networking people as it can be a bit tedious to set up properly and you generally dont need all the features it has.

To might knowledge, they both run Vyatta, but with different GUIs. The EdgeRouter is not supported by the UniFi controller, its running EdgeOS.

@InVis

How can i convince this is worth paying for?

My Dad kind of gets it but my Mum is like "we don't really need wifi in the lounge (far side of the house) do we, we never use the laptops in there" (we do a lot though) She suggests things but has no solution for it/idea and will not take this is how it must been done for an answer.

Thanks

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

9 hours ago, mcraftax said:

@InVis

How can i convince this is worth paying for?

My Dad kind of gets it but my Mum is like "we don't really need wifi in the lounge (far side of the house) do we, we never use the laptops in there" (we do a lot though) She suggests things but has no solution for it/idea and will not take this is how it must been done for an answer.

Thanks

Cant really help you out there :) 
People who dont understand how network quality will improve their day-to-day life, are very hard to convince and I do not know you, your family or your economy (Brexit, lol).

You could pay for it or half of it yourself? :) Or start with 1 AP and the grow it slowly, you wont need to buy it all at the same time?

I suggest you just try the AP first, and use the crap router at the moment, just like inVis said.

Try with UAP-AC LR version, which has a bit more range compared to Lite. Place it at the exact middle of your house, and see how it goes.

I really doubt your parent want to pay that much, especially when your parent don't give a single shit about tech stuff. They probably will not even want to pay a single AP if they don't experience the problem, or don't even use the internet.

Just as InVis said, I highly suggest you go slow. Maybe one by one, start with AP, then second AP if the range is not satisfactory, then if you have extra money, you can play with the ER-lite router.

I personally also go total shit on my house setup at first, a single wireless router at first, then add another shit wireless router at another room, repeat again. Then replace the switch with gigabit, and slowly buy the enterprise router, ceiling AP, over the course of 3 years.