GTX 1080 Ti and Titan P Rage Anyone?

Aggressor

I consider myself lucky. There's been such a delay on my GTX 1080's that they let me cancel them (they weren't going to be in for 2 more weeks) so I could wait for the 1080 Ti or Titan P being announced next month.

I would not have ordered dual 1080's if I had known that in 3-4 months (also the time its taking to even get the cards) that the Titan P and 1080 Ti would be released which are expected to be 50% faster than the 1080.

Isn't this a bit evil on Nvidia's part? Could they not announce these upcoming products so people buying the 1080 don't feel screwed over. I would have been pissed if I wasn't able to cancel my order. I'd much rather have a 50% more powerful 1080 Ti that can play Ultra Wide at 144fps.

Anyone else a little peeved by this?

Please.

This is standard practice. Companies are not obliged to divulge future product releases for the convenience of consumers.

Plus, it should have been no great stretch of the imagination to anticipate that big Pascal would be coming sooner or later. Getting two 1080s at this juncture is pure impatience, simple as that.

5 minutes ago, Aggressor said:

I consider myself lucky. There's been such a delay on my GTX 1080's that they let me cancel them (they weren't going to be in for 2 more weeks) so I could wait for the 1080 Ti or Titan P being announced next month.

guess what...after that they will anounce the GTX 1180 and it will smash the 1080ti :P

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

guess what...after that they will anounce the GTX 1180 and it will smash the 1080ti :P

But not 3 months later?!

2 minutes ago, Aggressor said:

But not 3 months later?!

probably less than that...there will ALWAYS be something better right around the corner.

what you've done there is sign-up to the enthusiast class GPU's which are always more expensive.

Also...you'll be waiting a fairly long time, because only the titan P will release for now and it will be stupidly expensive...for the fanboys ONLY.

and then, a few month after that the 1080ti will come out...a bit more expensive than the GTX 1080.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Holy shit, NVIDIA's releasing the whole line-up within a relatively short time span. It was almost a full year between the release of the 970 & 980 and the Titan X and 980ti. Now it's just a few months, pretty crazy.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

1 minute ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Holy shit, NVIDIA's releasing the whole line-up within a relatively short time span. It was almost a full year between the release of the 970 & 980 and the Titan X and 980ti. Now it's just a few months, pretty crazy.

A year is reasonable. But hiding a huge upgrade just a few months away seems deceptive.

2 minutes ago, Aggressor said:

A year is reasonable. But hiding a huge upgrade just a few months away seems deceptive.

it's not ''a few months away'' ...you'll be waiting a fairly long time, because only the titan P will release for now and it will be stupidly expensive...for the fanboys ONLY.

and then, a few months after that, the 1080ti will come out...a bit more expensive than the GTX 1080.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

it's not ''a few months away'' ...you'll be waiting a fairly long time, because only the titan P will release for now and it will be stupidly expensive...for the fanboys ONLY.

and then, a few month after that the 1080ti will come out...a bit more expensive than the GTX 1080.

The rumor sites are saying they might be announcing the 1080 Ti and the Titan P on Aug 17th.

1 minute ago, Aggressor said:

The rumor sites are saying they might be announcing the 1080 Ti and the Titan P on Aug 17th.

they will ''announce'' it...but it will not be available right away...and nvidia ALWAYS launch the stupidly expensive titan product first...my guess is the retail price on this will be around 1299$...and then they will release a slightly cut down version of this...will take a few months before they do...and my guess on price for this one is 799$ USD.

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

they will ''announce'' it...but it will not be available right away...and nvidia ALWAYS launch the stupidly expensive titan product first...my guess is the retail price on this will be around 1299$...and then they will release a slightly cut down version of this...will take a few months before they do...and my guess on price for this one is 799$ USD.

Seems sub-optimal for customers needing to guess when its time to get the the best enthusiast card.

5 minutes ago, Aggressor said:

Seems sub-optimal for customers needing to guess when its time to get the the best enthusiast card.

of course...they want you to buy the 1080 right now...

and then there is availability waiting time...it took a month for GTX 1080 to be readily available and even now it's still not easy to find in stores...my guess is you'll be able to buy a GTX 1080ti not before Q1 next year if all goes well...maybe even Q2

3 minutes ago, Aggressor said:

You're making little sense. If you're shopping at the 1080Ti price bracket, why get 1080 SLI now? If you're happy with 1080 SLI, why does it matter when Nvidia releases 1080Ti?

Seems like you're more concerned with having the best with dick factor than anything else, plus butthurt that Nvidia is "deceiving" you, when this is standard practice to avoid alerting the competition what their release cadence is going to be.

Seriously, if 1080Ti came out in a year, how would that change anything? You'd still be stuck with 1080 SLI.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

You're making little sense. If you're shopping at the 1080Ti price bracket, why get 1080 SLI now? If you're happy with 1080 SLI, why does it matter when Nvidia releases 1080Ti?

Seems like you're more concerned with having the best with dick factor than anything else, plus butthurt that Nvidia is "deceiving" you, when this is standard practice to avoid alerting the competition what their release cadence is going to be.

Seriously, if 1080Ti came out in a year, how would that change anything? You'd still be stuck with 1080 SLI.

You gotta relax man. I'm only planning on getting my dream PC for the next 5 years and I want to be as good as it can. I want Ultra-Wide 144HZ. At the time the 1080s give about 100fps on the games I want (like Fallout 4) with an HB Bridge. But with a 1080 Ti it looks like it might make it to the 144FPS mark. It would  have been nice to know this earlier so I could have made a better purchasing decision. Thats my point.

4 minutes ago, Aggressor said:

(like Fallout 4)

last time i played fallout 4 i was barely getting 60FPS at 1440p and i was CPU limited the whole time...GPU load fluctuating between 60 and 90% constently...so trowing more GPU horsepower at this nightmare POS of a badly coded game will not be of any help...sorry to break the news but fallout 4 is a shit game with a bad engine and poor code...even an overclocked core i7 can't keep up.

4 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

last time i played fallout 4 i was barely getting 60FPS at 1440p and i was CPU limited the whole time...GPU load fluctuating between 60 and 90% constently...so trowing more GPU horsepower at this nightmare POS of a badly coded game will not be of any help...sorry to break the news but fallout 4 is a shit game with a bad engine and poor code...even an overclocked core i7 can't keep up.

1080 SLI with an HB bridge on 4k is doing 70-80FPS on 4K. With an Ultra wide you can up that by about 15%.

So with the 1080 Ti I think 144hz ultra wide is possible. 

27 minutes ago, Aggressor said:

I would not have ordered dual 1080's if I had known that in 3-4 months (also the time its taking to even get the cards) that the Titan P and 1080 Ti would be released which are expected to be 50% faster than the 1080.

Isn't this a bit evil on Nvidia's part? Could they not announce these upcoming products so people buying the 1080 don't feel screwed over. I would have been pissed if I wasn't able to cancel my order. I'd much rather have a 50% more powerful 1080 Ti that can play Ultra Wide at 144fps.

Anyone else a little peeved by this?

is the titan or 1080ti %50 faster?

3 minutes ago, Aggressor said:

1080 SLI with an HB bridge on 4k is doing 70-80FPS on 4K. With an Ultra wide you can up that by about 15%.

70/80FPS?! i'm seeing 48FPS...and NO you can't add +15% because it's CPU LIMITED....

7 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

not even the 6800k with a overclock?

1 minute ago, Aggressor said:

And from what I understand the Ti is often within a few FPS of the Titan (but with less Vram mainly)

that depend on the generation...the 780ti was actually faster than the Titan which had one of it's module disabled...the 780ti was fully enabled.

maxwell was very slightly cutdown for the 980ti...that does not mean the 1080ti will not be a signicant cut from the titan P...

2 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

not even the 6800k with a overclock?

not really i don't think so...it's not the amount of cores that is the problem it's the single-threaded performance...

20 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

I still think this rumor sounds like bullshit. They can't get GP104 produced in reasonable quantities, GP100 Teslas don't go on sale until January, and yet they're going to sell a GP100 Titan for way less than the Teslas and Quadros based on GP100 would fetch on the market? I don't believe this rumor for a second. Even a GP102 Titan seems like an enormous stretch right now when yields seem so lousy on the 314mm^2 GP104 chips. 

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

not really i don't think so...it's not the amount of cores that is the problem it's the single-threaded performance...

so even a quad core i7 struggles? is that because of bad game code?

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I still think this rumor sounds like bullshit. They can't get GP104 produced in reasonable quantities, GP100 Teslas don't go on sale until January, and yet they're going to sell a GP100 Titan for way less than the Teslas and Quadros based on GP100 would fetch on the market? I don't believe this rumor for a second. Even a GP102 Titan seems like an enormous stretch right now when yields seem so lousy on the 314mm^2 GP104 chips. 

there will be a titan P available...but it's not ''soon'' or anything like that...and then there will also be a 1080ti that's a given...but you have to wait even longer for it...and then you have to wait even longer for the cards to actually be reasily available on retailers...which will take time beacause it's a big chip and the yields at such a small manufacturing process will be horrible and the cards will be very expensive...it's the real enthusiast dream GPU this time around...and you'll have to wait a freaking long time to get one and you'll have to pay BIG BIG bucks for it that's a given.