Evolve goes free-to-play

Bouzoo

evolve.png

Interestingly, I haven't seen this posted. 

Evolve, the asymmetric shooter that was released in 2015., is free-to-play as of today. After the option to buy the game was removed from Steam, people speculated it will go this route and they were right. 

According to the devs, the game had a really bad reception, partly due to DLC shitstorm, as the devs call it, and obviously one part due to game being quite repetitive so most players just stopped playing it. Now they want to bring the magic back and are sure they can do it:

"When Evolve launched, the reception wasn't what we expected," the pair said in the joint statement. "Sure, there were some good reviews. There were also bad reviews. Yes, there was excitement. There was also disappointment - for players and for us. The DLC s***storm hit full force and washed away people's enthusiasm, dragging us further and further from that first magical pick-up-and-play experience.

"We want that magic back and we aim to make it happen".

In early 2015, the game rode strong pre-release hype and decent initial reviews to a healthy peak of over 27,000 simultaneous players just after launch, according to data from SteamCharts.

Since launch, though, the game has seen a long and steady decline in popularity. Today, on average, only 100 people are playing via Steam at any point. For context, a shooter likeLeft 4 Dead 2 still averages over 10,000 simultaneous players years after its release.

In case you missed the game, the idea of the game was to take 5 players, and put 4 of them against the 5th player. 4 players had the ability to choose 1 of 4 classes, while the 5th player was one of selectable monsters that could Evolve in the match. It was either kill or be killed. 

They plan to do bring back the magic with few changes they seem are needed:

So, Evolve's overhaul involves reworking much of the game. Here's an overview from Turtle Rock:

• We're reworking the hunter classes to make the team less reliant on having experienced trappers and medics.
  • We're making improvements to the maps and UI.
  • We're improving load times, overall performance, and getting you into the game faster.
  • We're focusing on improving stability and fixing bugs.
  • We're completely reworking our progression system and tutorials.
  • We're adding more customization options.

With that much work, you might say it will be a different game.

For now, the game will only be on PC in beta (again), and after it will come on consoles, and all DLC will be unlockable for free. They think that is the best way to make Evolve free-to-play.

In case you bought the game, don't worry, they haven't forgotten you.

All those who purchased the game will be granted Founder status, keep all purchased add-on content and be honoured with “gifts, rewards, and special access” for as long as the shooter is in active development.

I tried the game in beta and wasn't blown away, I was more hyped for it before I have actually tried it. I have no intention of picking it up, but I'm sure many will. Are you on of them? Do you think the game is evolving or devolving? 

Sources: 1, 2, 3 

Official site

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

5 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

You know those stages of grief? We need to do stages of failed online games. Going F2P should be a phase before the final acceptance when they just go offline.

lol so true

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3

Game was DOA for me.... I lost interest when I saw all the DLC expenses that they tried to capitalize on.... I'm big on owning complete games, I don't feel like paying full price for half a game.

CPU:i7 5930k @4.5 Mobo:x99 Deluxe RAM:32gb Corsair @2800 GPU: SLI EVGA Titan X Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 6x 4TB Seagate SSHD(raid5), 2x500gb Samsung 850 Evo Raid0 PSU: Corsair ax1500i Audio: Asus Essence STX

6 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

What's their new business model exactly?

Hats, hats, and more hats. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

People who bought the game should have all DLC awarded.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I literally said that, when it was released first. This game will die as a F2P title after one year or maybe even less. It was DOA as it went sale.

Hako: Gigabyte z490i, i5-10400F@4.3GHz, 16GB LPX 3200MHz, Intel 7600p 1TB,  AMD RX6800

Stuff: Ducky One 2 MiNi, Xtrfy M4 Retro, Asus VG259Q

Phone: Google Pixel 3XL NoT P!nk

58 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

People who bought the game should have all DLC awarded.

they sort of are, its in the OP, you keep everything you owned, if you only have the base game, you have the base game content unlocked, same applies if you own a piece of dlc.

i'm downloading to see if its not grindy since they have some decency to allow all the content to be purchased with the in game currency.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Better this then them re-skinning it and charging full price again. 

Never played it but always liked the idea and the theme was cool too. Glad they learned their lesson, although it's too late really...

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Wow is the game that shitty?

The game idea is fun, and when you get to it there can be some really intense moment. But... the way they design it fail really hard LOL. Since the "monster" is absolute shit during stage 1 and 2, There's no meaning in fighting against the player so... they did the only logical thing of running away for like 10 mins to try to kill the NPC monster, eat them and evolve. That lead to the 4 hunters also cant do anything but trying to trace and follow the monster. So you spend like 10+ mins playing hide and seek and if the monster happen to evolved to stage 3 then you are fucked. (that was my experience with the game during the open beta)

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

5 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

You know those stages of grief? We need to do stages of failed online games. Going F2P should be a phase before the final acceptance when they just go offline.

I've played a match of the F2P version .. just as shitty as it was before

I'd rather play Paragon

Didn't this game come out early last year or something? It took them that long to go F2P?

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

6 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Well they are at "Stage 2".

dggdssgddgdsgsdgdsgdgsgsgd.JPG

Probably should have been at launch.... Game is terrible.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Biggest problem with this game (now that buying it is a non-issue) is that moving around the map isn't even fun. The controls suck. All you have is a shitty jetpack that's slow af and ground speed that's slow af and a climb speed that's slow af. The map is huge but there's no tactical design to any of it. It's just meant for a really tedious game of tag with no real player interaction with the board.

They could have made cool elements like player-placed sensors or fences or turrets but the game has no "setup" feeling to it. It all boils down to mindlessly chasing and flanking with no way to play a strategy where actual trapping and setup plays a key role. The dome is just "I caught up to it, let's dps it." It's not at all tactical.

Git Gud.