Upgrading laptop to Windows 10 and ssd

ZEBuckeye81

Hey guys, so this isn't really troubleshooting as much as advice on an upgrade, did not see a better topic to post under though.

I am getting ready to upgrade to two factory HP laptops to Windows 10 from 7 on one laptop and from 8 on another. My game plan is to backup individual folders/files that I want to keep, and then basically make a list of programs and drivers for each. I actually took a screen shot of device manager in case I need to look back and reference a particular piece of hardware that was pre-installed. One of the laptops, maybe both, will be getting a SSD after I've upgraded the OS.

My question is before I proceed with the above plan is there anything else I should take into account / prepare. 

5 minutes ago, ZEBuckeye81 said:

Hey guys, so this isn't really troubleshooting as much as advice on an upgrade, did not see a better topic to post under though.

I am getting ready to upgrade to two factory HP laptops to Windows 10 from 7 on one laptop and from 8 on another. My game plan is to backup individual folders/files that I want to keep, and then basically make a list of programs and drivers for each. I actually took a screen shot of device manager in case I need to look back and reference a particular piece of hardware that was pre-installed. One of the laptops, maybe both, will be getting a SSD after I've upgraded the OS.

My question is before I proceed with the above plan is there anything else I should take into account / prepare. 

nope, thats it i think. thats what i would do before upgrading a laptop to W10. and good choice with SSD upgrade.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

1) move files to a USB drive or google drive or something

2) make sure you have your windows key, or use a keyfinder to get it if you dont

3) use a second USB to put windows on it with this tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

4) remove your old drive and put in the SSD

5) start installing windows 10 from the USB drive, follow these steps http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

6) install windows updates and make sure all your stuff like trackpad and wifi work (they should all be working after windows isntall updates, sometimes this takes a few hours)

7)move your files back from wherever you saved them, and install all your programs

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

9 minutes ago, ZEBuckeye81 said:

Upgrade the systems to Windows 10 before doing the SSD upgrade. That you your current Windows 7 and 8 licenses can be used in Windows 10 when you do a install on the SSDs.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Thanks for the replies guys, I did not mention in my initial post that I do indeed plan to do the upgrade from 7/8 to 10 first, then do a clean install onto the ssd. This is based on previously reading that the windows key is tied to the system itself (mobo)  versus the hard drive.

Again, thanks, it sounds like my thought process was correct, just a matter of backing up everything, running the upgrade on each, then putting in the ssd and doing clean Windows 10 install

20 minutes ago, ZEBuckeye81 said:

Thanks for the replies guys, I did not mention in my initial post that I do indeed plan to do the upgrade from 7/8 to 10 first, then do a clean install onto the ssd. This is based on previously reading that the windows key is tied to the system itself (mobo)  versus the hard drive.

Again, thanks, it sounds like my thought process was correct, just a matter of backing up everything, running the upgrade on each, then putting in the ssd and doing clean Windows 10 install

Just make sure you have the network drivers already downloaded for win10. The cases are extremely rare but I've seen a few occasions when Win10 installer didn't recognize the network device.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

22 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Just make sure you have the network drivers already downloaded for win10. The cases are extremely rare but I've seen a few occasions when Win10 installer didn't recognize the network device.

Good point, I actually did that for the desktop I just built prior to the build and installing the OS, that way once I was up an running I already had the drivers I needed on a USB ready to go.

As a guy who is in the middle of his IT dept upgrading a campus to Win10, I don't see any problem with the process. I would personally recommend doublechecking on the drivers. Win 10 has been good with auto downloading, but I have seen some issues with it downloading and installing incorrect drivers....or failing to get drivers for a device. Make sure you double check a computer's devices after you're fully updated on Windows 10.

Also you said HP Laptops? What version? I have one, and have a couple tips if its a HP Pavilion 15Z(?) because HP makes them god awful to get to the HDDs in those.

Spoiler

[CPU] Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core        [Motherboard] MSI B150 Gaming M3
[RAM] 8GB Kingston Black (1x8GB) DDR4-2133         [GPU] Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5
[Case] Fractal Design Define R4    [PSU] Corsair CX600M
[Storage] Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB, WD Caviar Blue 1TB   [OS] Windows 10

On 7/7/2016 at 6:45 PM, wkdpaul said:

Good point, I actually did that for the desktop I just built prior to the build and installing the OS, that way once I was up an running I already had the drivers I needed on a USB ready to go.

32 minutes ago, PolosElite23 said:

As a guy who is in the middle of his IT dept upgrading a campus to Win10, I don't see any problem with the process. I would personally recommend doublechecking on the drivers. Win 10 has been good with auto downloading, but I have seen some issues with it downloading and installing incorrect drivers....or failing to get drivers for a device. Make sure you double check a computer's devices after you're fully updated on Windows 10.

Also you said HP Laptops? What version? I have one, and have a couple tips if its a HP Pavilion 15Z(?) because HP makes them god awful to get to the HDDs in those.

Yeah HP, but they're both low end, one is like a 250 G2 and I'm not real sure on the other.

In your opinion though the process should be ok, upgrading then installing ssd and then doing clean Windows 10 install? 

Sounds reasonable enough to me.

I'll warn you, if its consumer grade (which I guess it is) its going to be hell to take apart. You're going to break plastic bits opening it up. Be very careful. If you have something like a guitar pick (If you have an iFixit kit you're golden) use that to get the front plate off. it could be different from the 15Z, but there may be screws hidden under...eh, I'll show you:

IwVdwjsr.jpg

QlIAXxz.jpg

Now, you may also have a screw under the top part:

You'll find it under where the bit is.

5WaWjHL.jpg

I'm guesstimating. But still, be super careful. I'm assuming it doesn't have a bottom access panel for HDD access. If It does, ignore this all lol.

If you need to, feel free to shoot me some pictures...I take laptops apart all the time at work.

Spoiler

[CPU] Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core        [Motherboard] MSI B150 Gaming M3
[RAM] 8GB Kingston Black (1x8GB) DDR4-2133         [GPU] Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5
[Case] Fractal Design Define R4    [PSU] Corsair CX600M
[Storage] Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB, WD Caviar Blue 1TB   [OS] Windows 10