My Home Server Topic

LuukvanA

You know how network drives work and how to set them up? That's basicly Samba. By connecting to the VPN you setup up you can acess your files from everywhere as if they were on your machine. The VPN can also be used for safer browsing on public network like for example on your school.

About OpenVPN if I was you I would set up a VM (virtual machine) with OpenVPN server for doing this easier.

http://openvpn.net/index.php/access-server/download-openvpn-as-vm/202.html?osfamily=Virtual%20Appliance%20Windows%20(VHD)&ex=1

Tell me if there is something I explained bad, English is not my native language :P

The only real problem with SAMBA is that the device is running windows home server not linux...

|| CPU: Core i7 3770k @ 4.6gHz || RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600mHz || GPU: nVidia GTX 670 ||

Sorry, my bad. SMB would be the correct way to say it. I'm using Samba myself so I am just mixing it up a bit...

So yeah, I looked around on the interwebs and found a program called Http File Server (HFS).

It works pretty well, the only problem is that it can't play music or movies in the browser..

Does anyone know a simple to use program to do this?

Luuk

|| CPU: Core i7 3770k @ 4.6gHz || RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600mHz || GPU: nVidia GTX 670 ||

So yeah, my isp is really pissing me off, they updated the firmware on my modem, making it impossible for me to change anything in the settings, not even port forwarding anything.... 

Does anyone know what to do? my isp doesn't really want to help either..

Luuk

Question: I want to be able to play music and movies from the server through my browser from a computer that is not on my network (from school)

What is the best way to do this? (Streaming songs and movies through the webbrowser from my home server)

Cheers, Luuk

There are a few I know of:

Subsonic http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp (not all features are free)

Ampache http://ampache.org/wiki/start

Icecast http://www.icecast.org/

So yeah, my isp is really pissing me off, they updated the firmware on my modem, making it impossible for me to change anything in the settings, not even port forwarding anything.... 

Luuk

What ISP do you use?

Luuk

Err, not too sure why it matters what firmware goes on it. Do you just have a PPPoE credentials that you use to log in?

Err, not too sure why it matters what firmware goes on it. Do you just have a PPPoE credentials that you use to log in?

If it is like the default modem/router combo my ISP ships, you can only manage it through their website and your options are very limited.

Question: I want to be able to play music and movies from the server through my browser from a computer that is not on my network (from school)

What is the best way to do this? (Streaming songs and movies through the webbrowser from my home server)

Cheers, Luuk

Remote web access.

If it is like the default modem/router combo my ISP ships, you can only manage it through their website and your options are very limited.

Ask them if you can use your own device, which you manage yourself.

Fixed it, they put the modem/router in bridge mode so i can use my own router to setup everything

Luuk

Fixed it, they put the modem/router in bridge mode so i can use my own router to setup everything

Luuk

Who ever has these modem/router combos, they should disable it and put it into bridge mode if they're going to have a separate router. I personally hate these things...

As for your drive configuration, I personally would use a dedicated drive for the OS, a small HDD or SSD, so you can benefit full storage from your other drives without having to partition the drive. It's what I have set up on my server. 

I don't stream my music from my server as I use Google Play Music to do it for me

(Partition: OS and storage drive at the same time)