Explaining Port Forwarding to Parents.

Knaj
Go to solution Solved by iCrushDreams,

First, try dumbing it down and reexplaining that it can't possibly harm anything if you follow basic steps and improved your speeds while leaving everyone else untouched.

If they fail to understand that or still think it's going to screw something up, as long as you're on the network just 192.168.1.1 and port forward anyways when they're not on the internet. The internet will break for a few seconds (or maybe not at all depending on your router) and then you'll be golden. Who cares? It's not like they're going to notice a port is opened, given how technology inept they sound from your description.

Ubisoft support suggested I port forward my router so that Rainbow Six Siege won't give me such high pings and have ping spikes.

So, I'm going to portforward my router.

My parents said no to it though, because they don't want me to screw up the internet for the rest of them.

How can I explain to them what it is and how it won't screw things up?

They no absolutely nothing about this, so I can't find a good way to word it.

If somebody could help me that would be fantastic.

Thank you!

I'm gonna drop a follow to the thread because I don't know WTF is port forwarding

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Legolessed said:

I'll read up on that, but let's assume I wasn't tech savvy since what OP needs is a simple way to explain it to parents :)

But bear with me while I read

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Tell them portforwarding only affects a single local ip address your computer and won't do anything to the rest of the network

12 minutes ago, Knaj said:

Ubisoft support suggested I port forward my router so that Rainbow Six Siege won't give me such high pings and have ping spikes.

My parents said no to it though, because they don't want me to screw up the internet for the rest of them.

Thank you!

Show them this comment.

It does NOTHING to affect your experience, they are just routing traffic through a "road" you aren't even using.

Any changes in speed are extremely negligible.

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

16 minutes ago, Knaj said:

Thank you!

my parents said the same thing. i ended up cheating and using a vpn service xD 

Normally, routers only allow responses from the internet to requests that are made by a local computer - it's like a phone number that can only be used to make calls, not receive calls.

Port Forwarding allows incoming data from specific sources to reach a specific computer on the network. It's like having an extension on a phone that allows you to reach a specific person's desk phone. 

This is only an analogy, but that's the closest to accurate you can get with someone who isn't technically savvy.

A different analogy:

Normally, the post office only delivers mail to the main address, e.g. 105 Main Street. Port forwarding is like putting out a mailbox for "105 Main Street, Apt 1"

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

its like a highway, when you port forward you open an alternativ road or entrance for motorcycle only or tractors or what ever :P

you see this? this is my signature. btw im Norwegian 

Spoiler

CPU - Intel I7-5820K, Motherboard - ASUS X99-A, RAM - Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 16GB, GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 970, Case - Cooler Master HAF XB evo, Storage - Intel SSD 330 Series 120GB - OS, WD Desktop Blue 500GB - storage 1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB - storage 2, PSU - Corsair RM850x (overkill i know), Display(s)- AOC 24" g2460Pg, Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 2 Noctua 120mm PWM, 1 Corsair 120mm AF RED LED, Keyboard - SpeedLink VIRTUIS Advanced, Mouse - razer deathadder chroma, Sound - Logitech Z313, SteelSeries Siberia V2 HyperX Edition, OS - Windows 10 (prefer windows 7)

First, try dumbing it down and reexplaining that it can't possibly harm anything if you follow basic steps and improved your speeds while leaving everyone else untouched.

If they fail to understand that or still think it's going to screw something up, as long as you're on the network just 192.168.1.1 and port forward anyways when they're not on the internet. The internet will break for a few seconds (or maybe not at all depending on your router) and then you'll be golden. Who cares? It's not like they're going to notice a port is opened, given how technology inept they sound from your description.

5 hours ago, iCrushDreams said:

Configuring Port Forwarding should NEVER break the Internet. A modern (And by "modern", I'm going all the way back to WRT-54GL days) router will not require a reboot for simple port forwarding.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Configuring Port Forwarding should NEVER break the Internet. A modern (And by "modern", I'm going all the way back to WRT-54GL days) router will not require a reboot for simple port forwarding.

I had a router that I used from ~2006-2014 and it needed a short reboot for port forwarding lol.

1 minute ago, iCrushDreams said:

I had a router that I used from ~2006-2014 and it needed a short reboot for port forwarding lol.

That's very unusual and non-standard. Substandard programming :P

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)