Can you insure a phone after you dropped it?

Overkilled

I received my s7 Edge on monday and after waiting for my screen  protector to come I dropped it once but it must have impacted at just the right angle to break the screen, The damage ranges from being usable but with bad flickering to the screen completely glitching out.

So I took a trip to my local samsung store and they told me it would be £250 to fix

I dont have insurance but I just checked and it would be £65 for annual cover plus up to £50 excess and it covers accidental damage which is a lot cheaper than Samsung itself, since the phone is a few days old can I still buy insurance now?

3 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Jeez, that seriously sucks that you broke it already. I honestly don't know about insuring it after you broke it, kinda defeats the purpose TBH

I went to the samsung store the day I got it to look for a case, they only sell cases by samsung and the only decently rugged case the Woman working there offered me was £29.99 so I waited out for a spigen case online, when I went in today I showed that same woman my phone, 'you should have bought that damn case' was written all over her face.

9 hours ago, Overkilled said:

I went to the samsung store the day I got it to look for a case, they only sell cases by samsung and the only decently rugged case the Woman working there offered me was £29.99 so I waited out for a spigen case online, when I went in today I showed that same woman my phone, 'you should have bought that damn case' was written all over her face.

Squarespace - You should!

I think you can insure it. However if the insurance company can prove that it was broken BEFORE you insured it you will be screwed.

You normally can, but they will probably have a waiting period of anything from 2-12 months and if you claimed it right away they'd be suspicious and might not cover it.

Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"

I've done it before. Shattered my first one x after two months (I'm more careful now, run my phone naked). The trick is you have to wait a month before making a claim, otherwise it's too obvious of insurance fraud. 

Edit: I just did some research and repair of the gs7 edge is very difficult. You can't get into it "without destroying the lcd"(ifixit) so the high price tag of repairs makes sense. 

ASU

Just to get this out of the way first:

If you insure, and then claim, a phone that was already damaged prior to insuring, this is straight up Insurance Fraud.

Whether or not you'll get caught? Totally different question. Many wouldn't even inspect it before activating the insurance. So if that's the case, you'd probably get away with it.

But man, I mean, yeah that sucks? But I hope you learned the lesson. Protect your phone. Get a good case. Get a good screen protector (tempered glass ideally, like Phantom Glass). And don't friggin drop it before you have any of those things.

Ideally, if you're not gonna buy a case in person when you pick up the phone, you'll want to order the case ahead of time so that it arrives before you buy the phone. That way you can put the phone in the case right away when you buy it.

I'm not surprised at all that the woman had "you should have bought the case" written all over her face. I'd simultaneously feel bad for you, and be pissed at you, if I were her.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yeah, it's certainly insurance fraud to go about my method, but you won't get caught if you wait a month or two after starting the insurance coverage. 

One of these days, I'm going to get banned for sharing what I've done to take advantage of the system xD

ASU

5 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Yeah, it's certainly insurance fraud to go about my method, but you won't get caught if you wait a month or two after starting the insurance coverage. 

One of these days, I'm going to get banned for sharing what I've done to take advantage of the system xD

Well as long as you acknowledge what you're doing, and you can sleep at night :P

It's not like people every day don't decide that a small infraction is "okay". Each and every one of us decides what laws are important and what ones aren't (Eg: Speeding - basically everyone speeds, everywhere, and 99% of people don't even bat an eyelash at it).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

As mentioned by those above, this equates to insurance fraud, but low likelihood of being found out.

However, do keep in mind that you've already visited the store and showed them the broken phone. I would not be surprised to find out that they documented the visit and the reason for the visit.

20 hours ago, Overkilled said:

I received my s7 Edge on monday and after waiting for my screen  protector to come I dropped it once but it must have impacted at just the right angle to break the screen, The damage ranges from being usable but with bad flickering to the screen completely glitching out.

So I took a trip to my local samsung store and they told me it would be £250 to fix

I dont have insurance but I just checked and it would be £65 for annual cover plus up to £50 excess and it covers accidental damage which is a lot cheaper than Samsung itself, since the phone is a few days old can I still buy insurance now?

I lost my phone once and sprint allowed me to put insurance on it. They did back date the insurance though so I had to pay the few months before. Then I had to pay a deductible. So you might get lucky. Scary part, we found the phone 3 months later. In the mud and it had been run over multiple times buy cars. Poor phone. Funny thing is the SD card still worked for a while. It only died about a year later. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

21 hours ago, Overkilled said:

I live in the US and this is what works for me when I tell the customers to do what you want to do. I tell them that they should go to their carrier and say something like "I'm going on vacation and would like to insure my phone incase it gets damaged", then the phone carrier would let them have the insurance 80% of the time. You have to wait a month or so but regardless it would be covered since you will be insured by then. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

2 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

I've done it before. Shattered my first one x after two months (I'm more careful now, run my phone naked). The trick is you have to wait a month before making a claim, otherwise it's too obvious of insurance fraud. 

Edit: I just did some research and repair of the gs7 edge is very difficult. You can't get into it "without destroying the lcd"(ifixit) so the high price tag of repairs makes sense. 

Yeah I didnt just crack the screen I damaged the digitizer rendering it almost unusable at times

1 hour ago, Biskuits said:

As mentioned by those above, this equates to insurance fraud, but low likelihood of being found out.

However, do keep in mind that you've already visited the store and showed them the broken phone. I would not be surprised to find out that they documented the visit and the reason for the visit.

Yeah there was no way he remembered the imei as the guy who looked at it only had it in his hand for 2 or 3 seconds before he gave me an estimate.

2 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

I have done a few S7 edge's. First one I did was hard as it was first time opening it but after doing a few it is pretty easy. The only thing hard to do is replace micro USB port because you have to remove the glass from the screen.

Hello