Ethernet next to BX cable

STiCory

So we all know the "no ethernet next to power" rule, and that it' must be at least 2" away according to NEC but preferably at least double, BUT I thought of something and did searching across the interwebs and couldn't find an answer. What about ethernet next to steel aromored BX? Most of it is aluminum but there is some steel armored BX available so the spots where I have to run ethernet next to power, do you think this would help? My thinking is that the steel armor would shield the ethernet from induced voltage/ noise/ interference. What do you think?

Just for reference the reason I have to run power next to ethernet is I am setting up two new stations in my company that require ceiling drops (concrete slab, desks in the middle of the room) so rather than putting two drops down, which I suppose is a possibility but would be a major nuisance.

Ok... So maybe I can run it separate but I don't want to xDxD

1 hour ago, STiCory said:

So we all know the "no ethernet next to power" rule, and that it' must be at least 2" away according to NEC but preferably at least double, BUT I thought of something and did searching across the interwebs and couldn't find an answer. What about ethernet next to steel aromored BX? Most of it is aluminum but there is some steel armored BX available so the spots where I have to run ethernet next to power, do you think this would help? My thinking is that the steel armor would shield the ethernet from induced voltage/ noise/ interference. What do you think?

Just for reference the reason I have to run power next to ethernet is I am setting up two new stations in my company that require ceiling drops (concrete slab, desks in the middle of the room) so rather than putting two drops down, which I suppose is a possibility but would be a major nuisance.

Ok... So maybe I can run it separate but I don't want to xDxD

That rule is only for VERY long distances. Ethernet is digital, not analog. Interference from power cables is pretty much not an issue for ethernet. As long as you aren't running ethernet with power for like 100m, you should be fine.

My native language is C++

1 minute ago, tt2468 said:

That rule is only for VERY long distances. Ethernet is digital, not analog. Interference from power cables is pretty much not an issue for ethernet. As long as you aren't running ethernet with power for like 100m, you should be fine.

You have me thinking now, I would like to see on an oscilloscope or something, the amount of induced voltage from varying runs of parallel power and ethernet. The new cabling will be all Cat 6 and an occasional Cat 5E for printers/ IP phones and the runs where it would be next to eachother will be approximately 6' only.

2 minutes ago, STiCory said:

You have me thinking now, I would like to see on an oscilloscope or something, the amount of induced voltage from varying runs of parallel power and ethernet. The new cabling will be all Cat 6 and an occasional Cat 5E for printers/ IP phones and the runs where it would be next to eachother will be approximately 6' only.

Oh god, you keep researching, Ima stay in my simple world of IT lol.

My native language is C++

1 minute ago, tt2468 said:

Oh god, you keep researching, Ima stay in my simple world of IT lol.

LOL, I like researching and learning! Plus facts like this interest me!

You most likely will not have any problem running Ethernet and Power line, even with power cable without any shielding and plain CAT5e UTP cable.

However, I usually tell the contractor to use different PVC/Steel piping for power and Ethernet, just to be safer when the power insulation failed (if it is even possible, such as rat bite).

1 hour ago, STiCory said:

LOL, I like researching and learning! Plus facts like this interest me!

Hmm.... I have a 100mhz 4 channel digital scope.........

But I cant for the life of me find any ethernet cables that aren't being used

3 hours ago, STiCory said:

-SNIP-

It may help a little with the metal armor on the cable but it won't be the same as cables that have a braided shielding, if you must run the cable near electrical or even with lots of other ethernet cables like in a commercial environment it's recommended to get shielded ethernet cables for those kinds of applications.