OnePlus quietly discontinues the OnePlus X with no plan for a successor

AlTech

Could it simply be they are losing money on this?

$199 for a Snapdragon 801 with 3 GB of RAM I believe? The margins on this must be crazy low.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

4 hours ago, Trixanity said:

It's not about the price. It's about what they achieved in that price range and about what they did with that device.

They recycled a lot of the things from the 1, removed some things and side stepped some others and put it in a new package instead of just lowering the price on the 1. They choose to spend money on R&D and production for a new device. I'm certain it would have been cheaper to either lower the price on the 1 or design a newer but cheaper device while retaining some form of advancement and improvement instead of recycling the old 'flagship' in a new package. 

It's that simple.

Didn't Samsung also just recycle the Galaxy S6 with their S7 instead of lowering the price of the S6?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

4 minutes ago, Nineshadow said:

Didn't Samsung also just recycle the Galaxy S6 with their S7 instead of lowering the price of the S6?

No. Design was much the same but the jump from S6 to S7 was big in many ways although not to the point where you'd necessarily want to upgrade from S6 to S7.

Waterproof and SD card support, thicker with bigger battery, new cameras, much better SoC, more (and faster) RAM, better display, (I think) better fingerprint scanner. I even think Touchwiz was improved even though it's still bad.

The OnePlus X had almost identical specs to the 1 except it was last year's model. They changed the design for the new phone but they should have went differently with the internals. For example, you could probably have gotten a better SoC cheaper into that phone. Could probably also have gotten a better camera without raising BOM costs. They took out a lot of their profits (I'd wager) by releasing the X the way it was and the sales numbers were probably not able to justify it either, so that's why it got canceled. 

A shame, it was a great device for the money. 

I would have bought one but no OnePlus device is compatible with the 4G bands my network uses

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

17 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I worry for the Software support this will receive. I think they may just stop providing updates for it.

There are already people complaining about the lack of updates, they barely respond on the forums...
Im now looking to replace my OPX with a nexus 5x or hanging on till the new nexus/google phone comes out around september.

EDI: <i7 4970k, Corsair h110, 8gb avexir 2133 DDR3, ASUS Z97-AR, EVGA GTX980, Kingston Hyper x 128gh boot drive, 1.5tb of random mass storage drives> 
Peripherals: <RAZER Naga epic, Corsair K95/RAZER Deathstalker Ultimate>
Laptop(Leigon): MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 4k
Phones: <One Plus X, Sony Xperia Z, Moto X(2013) Huawei Nexus 6P

13 hours ago, patrick3027 said:

Could it simply be they are losing money on this?

$199 for a Snapdragon 801 with 3 GB of RAM I believe? The margins on this must be crazy low.

No. If there were smart they would have been using the leftover chipsets of the OnePlus One devices.

The 3GB RAM is a little odd. they should have used 2GB for that price. And yes the margins were probably low because they skimped out on the wrong things and not on the right things.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On 7/6/2016 at 6:40 PM, Trixanity said:

No. Design was much the same but the jump from S6 to S7 was big in many ways although not to the point where you'd necessarily want to upgrade from S6 to S7.

Waterproof and SD card support, thicker with bigger battery, new cameras, much better SoC, more (and faster) RAM, better display, (I think) better fingerprint scanner. I even think Touchwiz was improved even though it's still bad.

Honestly, it's an S5. 

RAM and SoC improvements don't mean much to 99% of smartphone users. We don't have 40 applications open simultaneously. 

I'm not surprised about OnePlus X though. OnePlus can't even implement CDMA on their phones because of the additional expense, and they've been slow on the Marshmallow update for OnePlus 2. Clearly they are on a very tight budget. 

2 minutes ago, Deletist_Jerk said:

Honestly, it's an S5. 

RAM and SoC improvements don't mean much to 99% of smartphone users. We don't have 40 applications open simultaneously. 

if I had more RAM then I would

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

if I had more RAM then I would

We need to get you better battery technology too then. 

2 minutes ago, Deletist_Jerk said:

Honestly, it's an S5. 

I don't follow. S5 has very few similarities to either S6 or S7.

Performance improvements should matter. And it does matter. That most consumers aren't knowledgeable doesn't mean that they don't want a better performing device. They appreciate the better experience even if they can't immediately put their finger on why they'd prefer an S7 to say an S3 (all other aspects than user experience aside).

Also keep in mind that there's more to a phone than multitasking (as in switching between three active apps etc). There are tons of background processes that use the RAM. Of course 6 GB is overkill but a device does benefit.

Oh and better battery tech should soon be ready with lithium-sulfur composition. It's probably not massively ground breaking but should be a significant improvement. Hopefully within three years time as it should be just about ready for mass production.

2 hours ago, Trixanity said:

I don't follow. S5 has very few similarities to either S6 or S7.

Performance improvements should matter. And it does matter. That most consumers aren't knowledgeable doesn't mean that they don't want a better performing device. They appreciate the better experience even if they can't immediately put their finger on why they'd prefer an S7 to say an S3 (all other aspects than user experience aside).

Also keep in mind that there's more to a phone than multitasking (as in switching between three active apps etc). There are tons of background processes that use the RAM. Of course 6 GB is overkill but a device does benefit.

Oh and better battery tech should soon be ready with lithium-sulfur composition. It's probably not massively ground breaking but should be a significant improvement. Hopefully within three years time as it should be just about ready for mass production.

S5 literally had every feature of S7.

And no matter how much you improve the CPU or RAM, we're bound to the battery technology that's lagging behind. Getting 4-5 minutes more on call time is nothing to brag about.

1 hour ago, Deletist_Jerk said:

Honestly, it's an S5. 

Maybe, but I value improvements in storage performance highly. I've recently gone from a S5 to a Oneplus Three and the difference in real life performance is night and day. 

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

54 minutes ago, Deletist_Jerk said:

S5 literally had every feature of S7.

And no matter how much you improve the CPU or RAM, we're bound to the battery technology that's lagging behind. Getting 4-5 minutes more on call time is nothing to brag about.

That always-on display is sure looking good on the S5 :)

A better battery does not give you better performance. When I said user experience I didn't mean the interval between charges. And the SoC improvements does give you better battery life but the biggest culprit is the screen, so you could argue about display technology being behind as well.

But what I'm hearing from you is that one might as well buy an S5 instead of an S7? That's an interesting proposition. I wouldn't personally but if that's your jam, so be it.

Just send in my OPX for repair via warranty over a month ago after dead spots appeared on the touch screen. Still no response (after they send me the shipping label).

21 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

That always-on display is sure looking good on the S5 :)

A better battery does not give you better performance. When I said user experience I didn't mean the interval between charges. And the SoC improvements does give you better battery life but the biggest culprit is the screen, so you could argue about display technology being behind as well.

But what I'm hearing from you is that one might as well buy an S5 instead of an S7? That's an interesting proposition. I wouldn't personally but if that's your jam, so be it.

I'm on Nexus 6P, but thanks for the condescending assumption. 

6 minutes ago, Deletist_Jerk said:

I'm on Nexus 6P, but thanks for the condescending assumption. 

Am I wrong though? You said the S5 has the same feature set and that the S7 is essentially an S5 based on the fact that they both have an SD card slot and waterproofness as opposed to the S6.

Is it really condescending? I don't think so. I'm merely pointing out the flaw in your argument that SoC advancements are negligible and that the S7 is similar enough to the S5 to not have any compelling difference. And your current device was not what I was talking about. I said if you were in the market for a new phone, it seemed like you'd argue that you might as well buy an S5 over an S7 (current prices included). I mean some could easily get by with an S5 but I know I would never buy such a device today. And the user experience would be far superior on an S7 than on an S5 - that's for sure.

You're welcome to correct me if I misinterpreted what you were saying.

47 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Am I wrong though? You said the S5 has the same feature set and that the S7 is essentially an S5 based on the fact that they both have an SD card slot and waterproofness as opposed to the S6.

Is it really condescending? I don't think so. I'm merely pointing out the flaw in your argument that SoC advancements are negligible and that the S7 is similar enough to the S5 to not have any compelling difference. And your current device was not what I was talking about. I said if you were in the market for a new phone, it seemed like you'd argue that you might as well buy an S5 over an S7 (current prices included). I mean some could easily get by with an S5 but I know I would never buy such a device today. And the user experience would be far superior on an S7 than on an S5 - that's for sure.

You're welcome to correct me if I misinterpreted what you were saying.

...yeah I'm not going to keep arguing about off-topic subject. Clearly you have your opinion, and I have mine. 

On 6 July 2016 at 6:36 PM, AluminiumTech said:

I worry for the Software support this will receive. I think they may just stop providing updates for it.

Most people with an OPX will know how to rom it though.

- snip-

On 7/6/2016 at 0:52 PM, VerticalDiscussions said:

My dad has one, he loves it, its fast and clean, cheap and very well built, why would OnePlus not consider a sucessor?

Probably because O+ targets the high-end segment rather than the mid-range one. Also, profit margins.

I've just gone and got myself a Nexus 6p to replace my OPX
I cant be bothered sending the phone back.
Wireless radios are just too temperamental, screen has gone a little iffy and my simcard keeps dropping.
Wont connect to machines at all, SD doesnt mount.

Flashed it, rep'd it.

i loved that phone, but its time to retire already /sadface.

EDI: <i7 4970k, Corsair h110, 8gb avexir 2133 DDR3, ASUS Z97-AR, EVGA GTX980, Kingston Hyper x 128gh boot drive, 1.5tb of random mass storage drives> 
Peripherals: <RAZER Naga epic, Corsair K95/RAZER Deathstalker Ultimate>
Laptop(Leigon): MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 4k
Phones: <One Plus X, Sony Xperia Z, Moto X(2013) Huawei Nexus 6P