OnePlus quietly discontinues the OnePlus X with no plan for a successor

AlTech

OnePlus, the Chinese company behind the 3 generations of the OnePlus phones, has quietly discontinued the OnePlus X and is not going to replace it any time soon.

OnePlus-X.png

So as you can see they have slowly swept the OnePlus X under the rug. I don't blame them but I feel bad for one of my friends IRL which has one.

With this announcement, Pete Lau and all the other individuals hailing from OnePlus can start to focus on improving the user experience of OnePlus 3 and this will primarily include software updates in the long run. As for the hardware specifications, OnePlus X was the first smartphone introduced by the company to feature an AMOLED display. The smartphone is also powered by a Snapdragon 801 SoC and features a very affordable price of $199.

Despite featuring just 16GB of on-board memory, the smartphone features a SIM card tray where you can either choose to place a single SIM card and a storage card, or two SIM cards with a nanoSIM form factor. It appears that 2016 is not going to be the year for the OnePlus X successor, but the CEO didn’t provide us with any additional details regarding next year. After all, there are consumers who do not have the financial freedom to spend $399 on a OnePlus 3, so there is a broader market for the company to tackle effectively.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/oneplus-x-discreetly-discontinued-mean-successor-inbound/#ixzz4De8pMGKz

What do you guys think? Leave a comment below!

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I honestly forgot the OnePlus X was even a thing :P

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

i kinda expected this. i mean oneplus, as much as i love their products, kinda screwed up with the x a bit, though it is cheap, that's exactly why it's cheap. they cut corners on it, like how it felt, and how it performed against competitors. i saw this coming.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Wait a minute, why exactly is this a problem for those who own one?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Wait a minute, why exactly is this a problem for those who own one?

I don't know...?

Software updates maybe? But I doubt it.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

4 minutes ago, Nineshadow said:

I don't know...?

Software updates maybe? But I doubt it.

@AluminiumTech care to clarify?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

@AluminiumTech care to clarify?

I worry for the Software support this will receive. I think they may just stop providing updates for it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I worry for the Software support this will receive. I think they may just stop providing updates for it.

they DID promise marshmallow, and discontinuing the hardware doesn't really impact software development (usually)

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Can't we use custom Roms to update it?

if (you want to reply) {

USE THE QUOTE BUTTON 

}

else {

DONT

}

13 minutes ago, Sauron said:

they DID promise marshmallow, and discontinuing the hardware doesn't really impact software development (usually)

It can indicate less support down the road and frankly promising marshmallow isn't that re-assuring. Promising 7.0 Nougat would be a different story.

I happen to own a OnePlus X

21 minutes ago, terrytek said:

kinda screwed up with the x a bit, though it is cheap, that's exactly why it's cheap.

I realy have to disagree with that I realy like it but then I can't compare to flagships, the only thing I feel like are missing is NFC but then I never use it so I dont mind. Exactly how do you think they screwed up @terrytek?

As for updates they have done the best job of them of all 3 phones I had 1 of which was a smartphone a samsung and it never ever got any kind of update, as for marshmallow, I gave up on that a while ago :)

My dad has one, he loves it, its fast and clean, cheap and very well built, why would OnePlus not consider a sucessor?

Groomlake Authority

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It can indicate less support down the road and frankly promising marshmallow isn't that re-assuring. Promising 7.0 Nougat would be a different story.

but that would be kinda dickish of oneplus to not deliver software support past marshmallow for the oneplus x. i mean they continue to suppport the oneplus one which still gets updates, so it would be a dick move for them to not continue support of the x.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

7 minutes ago, FanBlade said:

Can't we use custom Roms to update it?

Of course you can.

Heck, I managed put Android 6.0.1 on my really old Samsung Galaxy S.

And Samsung refused to update it past 2.3.6. "not enough RAM" they said.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

3 minutes ago, Daan101 said:

I happen to own a OnePlus X

I realy have to disagree with that I realy like it but then I can't compare to flagships, the only thing I feel like are missing is NFC but then I never use it so I dont mind. Exactly how do you think they screwed up @terrytek?

As for updates they have done the best job of them of all 3 phones I had 1 of which was a smartphone a samsung and it never ever got any kind of update, as for marshmallow, I gave up on that a while ago :)

idk it just looks cheap with the plastic. i mean they should have had the sandstone backing like on the oneplus one and two. that what i thought.

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

idk it just looks cheap with the plastic. i mean they should have had the sandstone backing like on the oneplus one and two. that what i thought.

What plastic? It's literally all glass and metal.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The OnePlus X was a failure and completely out of place. They really screwed up that device and actually the 2 as well.

Launching a new device with outdated specs. So odd. The 1 had similar specs but better. It's baffling.

And they did previously say they would discontinue the X (around the launch of the 3 I believe) and they would most likely never make a new cheap model again.

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

What plastic?

The OnePlus X is metal and glass or ceramic. And that ceramic option is really premium.

It was such a nice device. Super Sleek. Has some weight. Beautiful design. Glass back (I like that). Full HD AMOLED. I'm little bit disappointed though. I recommended this device to 4 of my friends. They're enjoying it.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

6 minutes ago, terrytek said:

It's pure metal and glass. If you have had that device hands on, you'd know.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

39 minutes ago, evilarceus said:

I honestly forgot the OnePlus X was even a thing :P

Most of us did, due to the stupid invite system.

-------

Current Rig

-------

17 minutes ago, kameshss said:

It's pure metal and glass. If you have had that device hands on, you'd know.

oh shit, i thought this whole time it was plastic. on oneplus.net it looked like plastic. it kinda reminded me of the htc desire 510 which was a cheapass phone with its plastic.

17 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

The OnePlus X was a failure and completely out of place. They really screwed up that device and actually the 2 as well.

Launching a new device with outdated specs. So odd. The 1 had similar specs but better. It's baffling.

And they did previously say they would discontinue the X (around the launch of the 3 I believe) and they would most likely never make a new cheap model again.

Odd you say, do you realize what samsung has been doing for years, they have phones that are the newest and best the flagships but also cheaper models (and lots of them) even lower end then the X, I don't think its baffeling its accesing a bigger market the one were people don't want to or can't spend more money on a phone, I think you overlooked that.

5 minutes ago, Daan101 said:

Odd you say, do you realize what samsung has been doing for years, they have phones that are the newest and best the flagships but also cheaper models (and lots of them) even lower end then the X, I don't think its baffeling its accesing a bigger market the one were people don't want to or can't spend more money on a phone, I think you overlooked that.

It's not about the price. It's about what they achieved in that price range and about what they did with that device.

They recycled a lot of the things from the 1, removed some things and side stepped some others and put it in a new package instead of just lowering the price on the 1. They choose to spend money on R&D and production for a new device. I'm certain it would have been cheaper to either lower the price on the 1 or design a newer but cheaper device while retaining some form of advancement and improvement instead of recycling the old 'flagship' in a new package. 

It's that simple.

4 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

It's not about the price. It's about what they achieved in that price range and about what they did with that device.

They recycled a lot of the things from the 1, removed some things and side stepped some others and put it in a new package instead of just lowering the price on the 1. They choose to spend money on R&D and production for a new device. I'm certain it would have been cheaper to either lower the price on the 1 or design a newer but cheaper device while retaining some form of advancement and improvement instead of recycling the old 'flagship' in a new package. 

It's that simple.

Lowering the price on the one did actualy happen iirc and they did not recycle that much maybe the cpu and ram but is much lighter and a little bit smaller to, so to me it feels nothing alike. The one plus 2 vs the 1 on the other hand feel the same except the fingerprint scanner