2 WiFi Modems, Load balancer needed

I have just procured a new WiFi modem, and now I need to balance data usage on my two modems.
Modem 1 has a 175 GB Limit, and gives me a top speed of 8 mbps (per month), 

Modem 2 has a 75 GB Limit, and gives me a top speed of 50 mbps (per month).

Need to find an efficient way to get the best out of both, open to suggestions of any kind.

Get router that supports BGP.

Spend years learning cisco (or equivilant) networking.

Successfully configure BGP.

2 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

models?

D-Link DSL-2750U (Modem 1)

NETGEAR R6220 (Modem 2)

ok these are router, not modems.

setup static ip for each of your devices. and QoS for devices and/or programs

17 hours ago, narrdarr said:

ok these are router, not modems.

setup static ip for each of your devices. and QoS for devices and/or programs

QoS doesn't do what you think it does.

QoS is not a routing protocol, all you'd be doing is telling the router to move different types of packets up of down the queue, but they will still be routed to the same network.

yes i understand what QoS does, and yes you are correct blake.

it just a rudimentary way of setup up a balance between to 2 routers.

say you have to 2 pc's (1and 2) that are both used for gaming and say netflix.

he could set a static ip for pc 1 to router a and pc2 the router b. then set a QoS so gaming packets are always first over netflix.

Buy a router that uses Policy Based Routing and Dual WAN. Personally I like Routerboards from Mikrotik. Then you can route traffic to the connection you want. For example the slower 8Mb connection but higher cap can handle netflix or youtube. The faster connection with the lower cap can handle Big Downloads and surfing. You can determine which one has better latency and send gaming packets out that one. Check this wiki document from mikrotik that can explain it and show how it's done.  

Blake suggested BGP which also would be great although more complicated and most ISP's won't advertise routing tables to you so it can be difficult to implement for a small business or home connection. 

On 2016-07-06 at 1:43 AM, coolguyhavingchillday said:

I have just procured a new WiFi modem, and now I need to balance data usage on my two modems.
Modem 1 has a 175 GB Limit, and gives me a top speed of 8 mbps (per month), 

Modem 2 has a 75 GB Limit, and gives me a top speed of 50 mbps (per month).

Need to find an efficient way to get the best out of both, open to suggestions of any kind.

On 2016-07-06 at 1:59 AM, coolguyhavingchillday said:

D-Link DSL-2750U (Modem 1)

NETGEAR R6220 (Modem 2)

I think we need some more information.

First, the D-Link DSL-2750U is indeed an ADSL Modem. This is what is considered a "combo" device. It is a combination of a:

Modem

Router

Access Point (AP)

and Switch

The Netgear R6220 however, is not a modem at all. It's just a standard consumer Router (Router, AP, and Switch). The R6220 has a "WAN" ethernet port on the back - what is that port plugged into?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

You will likely need a router that is a LITTLE more sophisticated and "Business Grade" than a D-link or Netgear all-in-one (unless they are REALLY High end consumer grade or Business Grade versions.)  

I would consider a router that supports something like Gateway Load Balancing Protocol (GLBP) or Policy-Based Routing. GLBP, or some generic form of it, will be the easiest to setup and configure for your needs. On the other hand, the flexibilty and breadth of definitions in access control lists and how you configure them in the individual hardware you choose will determine how granular and effective your "load balancing" is if you use PBR. 

I know Cisco Systems has multiple routers that fit this bill and some are even available relatively cheap. I believe GLBP and PBR were supported on the 1700, 1800 2600 and 2800 series routers (and all the way up from there). They (PBR and/or GLBP) were also supported on certain 800 and 900 series routers and some older routers (1400 and 1600 series) in one form or another. Check the feature navigator for IOS on the Cisco website to be certain. (http://www.cisco.com/go/fn)

Alternately you may be able to accomplish the same thing with PFsense (open source software) or a proxy server software and some hardware you already have. 

Just remember a hardware based solution (in the case of a proxy server) is usually always faster than a software-based router.

PfSense may be the middle of the road for you here. 

Just my $0.02