UN declares online freedom to be a human right that must be protected

jos
On 5/7/2016 at 6:20 PM, 21rkosta said:

in other news china leaves the UN for breaking its rules?

In other news china has veto right so the UN can't take any measures against them.

On 5/7/2016 at 6:52 PM, samcool55 said:

I'm not familiar with the whole UN thing but i think giving veto to countries based on the outcome of WW2 doesn't make much sense anymore.

It probably did when WW2 just ended, but for now i don't know, it should depend on other things, i don't know much about law and stuff soo i don't know what would be a good idea... Maybe financial or criminal relative numbers? I don't know 

Veto never made sense, it singlehandedly makes the UN next to useless. You should watch Hotel Ruanda, it gives a good idea of how powerless the UN really is.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Interesting... I feel like this just covers countries which filter and restrict access at the federal level, but could it be interpreted to mean that all citizens have a right to decent internet access, or the ISPs/country is violating their human rights?  That would be a very interesting extrapolation!

I think you didn't understood me

there are entire regions where getting internet access is almost impossible with today's costs

is electricity a human right?! if not, how is it that internet access is!? if you go to a remote location in Romania without electricity, and believe me they are, how on earth would you expect them to have internet?!

it's like the UN members don't even know on what planet / dimension they're living on

27 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I think you didn't understood me

there are entire regions where getting internet access is almost impossible with today's costs

is electricity a human right?! if not, how is it that internet access is!? if you go to a remote location in Romania without electricity, and believe me they are, how on earth would you expect them to have internet?!

it's like the UN members don't even know on what planet / dimension they're living on

Maybe this will help bring attention to the fact those areas need some work done.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Maybe this will help bring attention to the fact those areas need some work done.

everybody knows it, but they're in secluded mountainous regions with a handful of old people that don't want to relocate

and they don't give a flying fuck about having internet access

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

everybody knows it, but they're in secluded mountainous regions with a handful of old people that don't want to relocate

and they don't give a flying fuck about having internet access

well that's good then.... better that than having people who wish it was better I guess 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

well that's good then.... better that than having people who wish it was better I guess 

my original point stands

if electricity isn't a human right, how exactly internet access is -_-

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

my original point stands

if electricity isn't a human right, how exactly internet access is -_-

electricity probably should be

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

electricity probably should be

then that should be their 1st priority, not internet

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

then that should be their 1st priority, not internet

I don't think the UN actually does things, like, physically.  They just set the rules/guidelines and it's up to countries to get there - they would be the ones to set priorities

On 7/6/2016 at 2:48 AM, ShadowCaptain said:

We aren't leaving the UN

idk you guys left the EU and seem to become isolationists :P

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

idk you guys left the EU and seem to become isolationists :P

Well the US is not in the EU and is in the UN :D

the UN is a completely different concept to the EU

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

A lot of people don't realize this but the UN is a very useful organization. For example when negotiating legally binding treaties between two countries there needs to be someone to judge if terms are being violated and there are two options either forming a judging panel with members from both countries or leaving it to the UN international court of justice and the 2nd option is a really nice option to get nonpartisan judgments without investing a lot of resources. Also not to mention the UN's sustainable development assistance to developing countries and initiatives to stop hunger and peacekeeping initiatives etc.

8 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Well the US is not in the EU and is in the UN :D

the UN is a completely different concept to the EU

yea i was just joking but i wonder if the UK had a referendum on whether to leave the UN how people would vote

4 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

yea i was just joking but i wonder if the UK had a referendum on whether to leave the UN how people would vote

Probably blame immigrants 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii