Convince Me AMD is Better

Spiffeye
47 minutes ago, Flavortown2k16 said:

Yeah no doubt that about it, but the diffrence cant be that much

So you need water cooled gpu and oc it to get near stock 980? (cant really watch the vid mid work)

No.

The guy in the video did hardware modifications, including soldering wires to the gpu to control its voltage regulator, as the drivers otherwise limit max voltage. He got a firestrike score similar to the stock 980, after disabling tessellation in the AMD drivers(and admitting that would make the comparison unreasonable). He also mentioned that running the card like this wouldn't be viable in a day-to-day scenario, and is simply for experimental overclocking purposes.

In short: While it's possible to OC a 480 to come very close to a stock 980, it requires water cooling, hardware modification to the voltage regulator, and wouldn't make sense for 99% of people; nor would it be a reasonable OC to maintain on a 24/7 basis, despite being "stable" in a benchmark on firestrike.

22 minutes ago, JediMasterMoses said:

No.

The guy in the video did hardware modifications, including soldering wires to the gpu to control its voltage regulator, as the drivers otherwise limit max voltage. He got a firestrike score similar to the stock 980, after disabling tessellation in the AMD drivers(and admitting that would make the comparison unreasonable). He also mentioned that running the card like this wouldn't be viable in a day-to-day scenario, and is simply for experimental overclocking purposes.

In short: While it's possible to OC a 480 to come very close to a stock 980, it requires water cooling, hardware modification to the voltage regulator, and wouldn't make sense for 99% of people; nor would it be a reasonable OC to maintain on a 24/7 basis, despite being "stable" in a benchmark on firestrike.

It does not require water cooling, just a decent air cooler.

It may require hardware modding now, but the existing hardware on the card is capable of doing what his mods did through the bios.  The hardware hack was easier for them to do.

And the first Firestrike score with tessellation was at GTX 980 levels.  13K, 15K graphics.

Right now there isn't really any competition. The AMD 480, Nvidia 1070 and Nvidia 1080 all produce vastly better price/performance compared to anything from the 28nm process so not surprisingly buying something from the new 14nm cards is going to be better value than anything else. They don't currently compete in the same performance arena or price.

One thing to always keep in mind is that smaller/lower performance GPUs are always much cheaper as yields are higher on smaller cores. The RX 480 is thus higher performance/$ than the 1070 and that is better performance/$ than the 1080. More performance in a single card always costs disproportionately more and its always this way, AMD tends to target smaller cores and has done for quite a long time (28nm being the deviation) so it also tends to have better performance/$.

3 hours ago, Flavortown2k16 said:

#keepondreamingbuddy maybe when they launch the vega then it can be closer to the perf of 1080 or even 1070. Also that pic is pretty funny

for the Money you have to pay to get a 1080 i would rek u in firestrike with AMD solution at the same cost

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

3 minutes ago, DXMember said:

for the Money you have to pay to get a 1080 i would rek u in firestrike with AMD solution at the same cost

4 way cf on 270's?

''Daddy CumTits 2.0'' (pc):

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

GPU - Asus Strix 1080 8gb

RAM - 2x8gb Corsair Vengance 

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

2 minutes ago, Flavortown2k16 said:

4 way cf on 270's?

two and three quarters 480 CF

two way 480 already reks it

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

Depends on ur CPU 

i3 lower end i5 go nvdia

highi5 and upwards haswell and above amd is fine 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

44 minutes ago, DXMember said:

two and three quarters 480 CF

two way 480 already reks it

Exept it doesnt. Maybe in ashes benchmark by little, but its far from rekking it. Besides 4 way sli with Titans is nvidias answer to budget builds and it knocks the socks from 2 1/3 cf 350

''Daddy CumTits 2.0'' (pc):

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

GPU - Asus Strix 1080 8gb

RAM - 2x8gb Corsair Vengance 

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

why are both of you clowns writing wreck as "rek"? 

Wait on NVIDIA to release the GTX 1060. It'll compete with the RX 480 more. As it stands, the GTX 1070/1080 walk all over anything AMD has to offer but as a result, they can charge whatever they want (kinda like the Intel vs AMD market).

8 hours ago, TheKDub said:

Buy whatever card you want more.

I'd avoid the 480 as I've heard it's got some pretty significant issues with power delivery (which may end up damaging your motherboard down the road).

The GTX 1060 should be released within a few weeks or so, so if you're looking for a budget card, that's a good option, or perhaps a 1070 or 1080 if you're looking for more high-end.

Could also go for an older AMD card such as the r9 380x or 390 or such if looking for a cheaper card.

Unless AMD comes out with some better cards, there's not much competition for the 370 iin it's price range, same for the 1080.

Do not spread misinformation, read first:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-power-measurements,4622.html

tl;dr the specifications of the PCI-E are exceeded, they're within a reasonable margin and won't damage anything.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 hour ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Do not spread misinformation, read first:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-power-measurements,4622.html

tl;dr the specifications of the PCI-E are exceeded, they're within a reasonable margin and won't damage anything.

I'm going off of what I heard about it from NCIX Tech Tips.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

I'm going off of what I heard about it from NCIX Tech Tips.

Yeah, the article I linked you was released today, as they re-visited the issue and re-done all of the tests, have a read, it clarifies some things

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

3 hours ago, Flavortown2k16 said:

Exept it doesnt. Maybe in ashes benchmark by little, but its far from rekking it. Besides 4 way sli with Titans is nvidias answer to budget builds and it knocks the socks from 2 1/3 cf 350

are you have nVidia big?