Convince Me AMD is Better

Spiffeye

As mostly neutral but leaning toward NVIDIA myself, I want to know what the reasons could be for going with AMD, especially with the new card launches.

Convince me :)

I'm not going to. Buy the card that suits your price point the best. Choosing a card by brand is stupid.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

If you don't care about vendor specific features(cuda, and many others), It doesn't really matter. The gpu's on both sides are within 10-20% of each other at times.

Buy the card you want if the card you want to buy from Nvidia offer's less than AMD for a cheaper price go for AMD 

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i7 2700k 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 240mm / Asus Sabertooth Z77 / HyperX Savage 32gb / EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCKED SIGNATURE

Amd has cheaper gpus for budget builds and in some cases can perform better

PRICE VS PERFORMANCE OF THE 480!

You have been convinced.

But seriously, in all honesty, both brands have good and bad sides. And some people are a fanboy or not a fanboy, even if its for the wrong reason. Stay on team green, because well, fanboyism.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

11 minutes ago, Spiffeye said:

As mostly neutral but leaning toward NVIDIA myself, I want to know what the reasons could be for going with AMD, especially with the new card launches.

Convince me :)

Buy whatever card you want more.

I'd avoid the 480 as I've heard it's got some pretty significant issues with power delivery (which may end up damaging your motherboard down the road).

The GTX 1060 should be released within a few weeks or so, so if you're looking for a budget card, that's a good option, or perhaps a 1070 or 1080 if you're looking for more high-end.

Could also go for an older AMD card such as the r9 380x or 390 or such if looking for a cheaper card.

Unless AMD comes out with some better cards, there's not much competition for the 370 iin it's price range, same for the 1080.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Honestly the two companies trade blows at each price point when theyre actually competing, which the currently arent with their brand new cards.

You need to give a price point or else all you will get is this response or fanboyism

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

What we actually need from you is your budget and what you need for your PC.

45 minutes ago, Clonzoo said:

PRICE VS PERFORMANCE OF THE 480!

You have been convinced.

But seriously, in all honesty, both brands have good and bad sides. And some people are a fanboy or not a fanboy, even if its for the wrong reason. Stay on team green, because well, fanboyism.

Price/perf of 1070 is higher. Amd makes good budget build cards and nvidia makes exelent higher end cards with high prices. If you are on a budget then its what ever you prefer, but if you are going for the stupid high perf cards then its no doubt that you will go with nvidia

''Daddy CumTits 2.0'' (pc):

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

GPU - Asus Strix 1080 8gb

RAM - 2x8gb Corsair Vengance 

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

17 minutes ago, Flavortown2k16 said:

Price/perf of 1070 is higher. Amd makes good budget build cards and nvidia makes exelent higher end cards with high prices. If you are on a budget then its what ever you prefer, but if you are going for the stupid high perf cards then its no doubt that you will go with nvidia

Ahem...

perfdollar_1920_1080.png

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

5RxGe4i.jpg

#BetterRed

#NeverSettle

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 hour ago, HKZeroFive said:

Ahem...

perfdollar_1920_1080.png

I only looked one of these graphs and it had 1070 above 480. Also this graph is clearly made by some amd fan since 970 costs like 100e more and perf better in some games, so theres no chance its 86% and 480 at 120%

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

4 minutes ago, Flavortown2k16 said:

I only looked one of these graphs and it had 1070 above 480. Also this graph is clearly made by some amd fan since 970 costs like 100e more and perf better in some games, so theres no chance its 86% and 480 at 120%

Right...

Since when was TechPowerUp, one of the most reputable hardware reviewers currently out there, AMD biased? BTW, they're going off current Newegg prices.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, DXMember said:

5RxGe4i.jpg

#BetterRed

#NeverSettle

#keepondreamingbuddy maybe when they launch the vega then it can be closer to the perf of 1080 or even 1070. Also that pic is pretty funny

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

4 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Right...

Since when was TechPowerUp, one of the most reputable hardware reviewers currently out there, AMD biased?

little bit, but 480 is good but not that good

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

6 minutes ago, Flavortown2k16 said:

A golden 480 that can clock at 1450MHz is nearing GTX 980 territory.  Yes it has been done.  I just watched De8auer do it on water.

Also, AMD has should release some decent power control:

7 minutes ago, Flavortown2k16 said:

They were never biased. They're basing this off current Newegg prices, where most GTX 970s are still roughly $300 (the cheapest is still $270). Makes complete sense that GTX 970 has a worse price/performance than the RX 480.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

They were never biased. They're basing this off current Newegg prices, where most GTX 970s are still roughly $300 (the cheapest is still $270). Makes complete sense that GTX 970 has a worse price/performance than the RX 480.

Yeah no doubt that about it, but the diffrence cant be that much

4 minutes ago, stconquest said:

A golden 480 that can clock at 1450MHz is nearing GTX 980 territory.  Yes it has been done.  I just watched De8auer do it on water.

Also, AMD has should release some decent power control:

So you need water cooled gpu and oc it to get near stock 980? (cant really watch the vid mid work)

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

1 minute ago, Flavortown2k16 said:

So you need water cooled gpu and oc it to get near stock 980? (cant really watch the vid mid work)

Not what I said.

2 minutes ago, Flavortown2k16 said:

GTX 970 at $300.

RX 480 at $200.

The cost difference is a third of the GTX 970's price. A 33% increase in price/performance is completely reasonable.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Not what I said.

Good answer to simple yes/no question

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

1 minute ago, Flavortown2k16 said:

Good answer to simple yes/no question

Your question was based on a misinterpretation of my statement.  I corrected the misinterpretation, so you have a chance to reformulate your question.

But okay... the answer to your question is no.  Watch the video.