Trying to find out the most efficient resource in a game.

Zach Is Kill

I'm a pretty analytical person, and I'm trying to figure out which item in a game gives me and my friends the most bang for your buck. There are several variables that need to be accounted for:

1. Driving distance in kilometers
  2. Weight in kilograms
  3. Price per one item
  4. Possibly others that I've overlooked

I don't know how to formulate an expression showing which item is the most efficient to gather.

Example 1:

Item Distance (km) Price Weight(kg)
Glass 6.825121654 $1508 2

I'm pretty sure I want to get a unit rate for the item "Glass".

So that's 1508 / 2 = $754

The next part always confuses me because I don't know if I should multiply or divide by the distance.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aiEWk75Op9QohTC2jeNsZ_Ljx1S2i0K41NCwXpEnQZA/edit?usp=sharing

Spreadsheet of information.

Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: i7 4790k || Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO || GPU: GTX 770 || Mobo: Z97 PC Mate || Storage: 240GB Sandisk Extreme Pro || RAM: 4x4GB 1333mHz

EDIT: Ok it's driving distance. But you still give us no context: which game? How did you measure the distance? Do you place any inherent value on the ítem or just the proximity? etc.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just divide one of the numbers by the most important number and divide the other number by the important number too. After that you add those two up and you have a 'score' for the item class. You could make the weakest item or whatever also the baseline and make all the other scores relative to that (eg. iron armor is 1.00, glass is a score of 1.54 and diamond would be 2.00, AKA two times as good as iron, etc.)

What I mean by "most important number" is the number that you think everything should be compared to. Lets say you compare GPU's, you for example would divide the price and for example temperature by the fps you get, so that you know how much every fps costs and how hot it gets per fps too. I fail to see what the number you want to compare what to in your example/

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

11 hours ago, Zach Is Kill said:

I'm a pretty analytical person, and I'm trying to figure out which item in a game gives me and my friends the most bang for your buck. There are several variables that need to be accounted for:

1. Driving distance in kilometers
  2. Weight in kilograms
  3. Price per one item
  4. Possibly others that I've overlooked

I don't know how to formulate an expression showing which item is the most efficient to gather.

Example 1:

Item Distance (km) Price Weight(kg)
Glass 6.825121654 $1508 2

I'm pretty sure I want to get a unit rate for the item "Glass".

So that's 1508 / 2 = $754

The next part always confuses me because I don't know if I should multiply or divide by the distance.

Thanks for the help.

The $754 figure you have is $$$ per kg.

If you are trying to calculate distance into the mix, you need to figure out what metric you're actually measuring.

Is there a fuel cost, or is this simply about time efficiency?

You could divide the unit cost ($754) by the distance to get the $$$ per km value.

In this case it would be:

$754 / 6.825121654 = $110.4742212994992

This would mean that if you have a 6.8 km trip that pays $754 per kg, you would be earning $110.47 per km driven. You could then compare a shorter trip that pays less, to see if on a per km basis, it pays more. You might take shorter deliveries (I'm assuming this is some kind of cargo delivery game?) that pay less, but are worth more on a per km level, and then you can take multiple deliveries in the same amount of time it would take you to do the one big delivery.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 7/4/2016 at 7:30 PM, theninja35 said:

Is this Arma 3 Altis Life by chance? I am sorry that I cannot contribute much else to the thread, but I am interested in what game this is.

yes

Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: i7 4790k || Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO || GPU: GTX 770 || Mobo: Z97 PC Mate || Storage: 240GB Sandisk Extreme Pro || RAM: 4x4GB 1333mHz

3 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Seems you want to come up with some farming method/guide.

I think time and effort involved would be a more practicle metric. Also how reliable it can be done, risks involved with extended travel. 

Time is harder to record accurately because there is more than one route that you can take to get yourself from Point A to Point B to Point C. Because there are different cars that go faster or slower, there are different routes that can be taken, the cars can be driven on the roads or off-road, and come cars don't do as well as others off-road. I would consider driving as the main effort. Because across the board, collection times are constant. Processing times, if I'm not mistaken, are proportional to the amount of items you are processing at once. It's more efficient to process as many as possible in one shot to eliminate having to walk a short distance to load and unload from your truck. Reliability is almost impossible to determine, because there are typically 100 players crammed into an island 270km^2. The best time to do a run would be around 5-6am when there are an average of 20 players on. Risk is kinda tricky because I need to know how many players are on, how many are armed, and how many are out to kill someone, risk is mitigated by possessing skill to use a weapon, and slightly mitigated by how expensive the weapon is, but the risk increases with the bigger weapon you use.

I just need a simple way to calculate things like this, because there are way too many variables.

I would use distance(price/weight) = meaningless number. The result is meaningless, until you compare it to other items with the same equation. With this equation, a smaller number is better (assuming that you want to drive a shorter distance). What needs to be remembered here is that the result of this equation gives you no information about any of the three things or how they relate to each other. It is simply a quick and dirty way of comparing multiple items. 

The best way to do this would be to do price/weight and distance/price and distance/weight. Then compare all results with other options. This method allows you to plan to get multiple items in one excursion, while accounting for all known data. 

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

4 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

I would use distance(price/weight) = meaningless number. The result is meaningless, until you compare it to other items with the same equation. With this equation, a smaller number is better (assuming that you want to drive a shorter distance). What needs to be remembered here is that the result of this equation gives you no information about any of the three things or how they relate to each other. It is simply a quick and dirty way of comparing multiple items. 

The best way to do this would be to do price/weight and distance/price and distance/weight. Then compare all results with other options. This method allows you to plan to get multiple items in one excursion, while accounting for all known data. 

i dont understand why i would do distance/weight

i have a spreadsheet here is it helps at all

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aiEWk75Op9QohTC2jeNsZ_Ljx1S2i0K41NCwXpEnQZA/edit?usp=sharing

2 hours ago, Zach Is Kill said:

i dont understand why i would do distance/weight

Weight slows you down, so you want to pick up light items on the outgoing trip and heavy items on the return trip. Knowing how much weight something has in relation to it's distance can also help you plan for alternate ways to get home, as well as items that can be "forgotten", should something happen to your primary mode of transportation.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME