ethernet wall mount

Go to solution Solved by dlink377,

Cat5e and Cat6 is almost similar, both can run 1Gbps without problem. The main difference is Cat6 is more thicker, so would be more durable when pulling the wire. Also using Cat6 it is possible to run 10Gbps on a short cable run on perfect condition.

You can use Cat5e modular jack on Cat6 cable without problem. However, using Cat6 modular jack on Cat5e cable is a bit hit and miss. I personally use Cat6 cable from AMP, and use Cat5e modular jack to save money. Both performs just fine.

If you want to this all by yourself, you will need:

• Cat6/Cat5e cable. I personally recommend Cat6 cable, Belden or AMP brand.
  • Modular Jack. To save money use the Cat5e one. I personally use AMP brand exclusively.
  • Face plate for the modular jack, buy according how many hole do you need.
  • Patch panel on the central site (not really required, but is highly desireable). Amazon.
  • Few patch cords to connect from the patch panel to the switch. (not required if not using patch panel)
  • Punch down tool, I use TRENDNET brand from Amazon.
  • Wire stripper. Not really required, you can use cutter or scissors. Amazon.

If you want more durable one, you can buy STP cable instead of UTP. I recommend those cable for outdoor run (or even FTP cable). I personally use normal UTP and put it inside some PVC pipe on outdoor run, since I believe it is much more durable than STP/FTP.

I'm rebuilding my living room, and I am going to have some ethernet wall mounts(Like Linus has in is office). But what parts do I need to get this to work?

You need some wall jacks and a wall plat with enough holes for the number of jacks you need. You'll of course also need some cable that matches the standard of the jack. For example if the wall jack says it's for CAT6 cable then you'll need CAT6 cable, cat5e won't work, and vice versa. It's also advised you get a punch to push the wire down into the jack and a cable cutter as well. You can actually get all of this stuff from places like Home Depot or Lowe's.

https://www.handymanhowto.com/how-to-install-an-ethernet-jack-for-a-home-network/

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

7 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You need some wall jacks and a wall plat with enough holes for the number of jacks you need. You'll of course also need some cable that matches the standard of the jack. For example if the wall jack says it's for CAT6 cable then you'll need CAT6 cable, cat5e won't work, and vice versa. It's also advised you get a punch to push the wire down into the jack and a cable cutter as well. You can actually get all of this stuff from places like Home Depot or Lowe's.

https://www.handymanhowto.com/how-to-install-an-ethernet-jack-for-a-home-network/

I do not believe you are correct. To my knowledge Cat5E and Cat6 uses the same pin layout, and the only difference is the shielding for the cables

1 minute ago, I love you said:

I do not believe you are correct. To my knowledge Cat5E and Cat6 uses the same pin layout, and the only difference is the shielding for the cables

Yah, the pinout is the same, I was referring to the shielding which is what makes it different and can cause issues when getting say a walljack that's for CAT6 and using CAT5e wiring with it as there is the possibility of the shielding/wire not being thick enough.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Yah, the pinout is the same, I was referring to the shielding which is what makes it different and can cause issues when getting say a walljack that's for CAT6 and using CAT5e wiring with it as there is the possibility of the shielding/wire not being thick enough.

Rule of thumb, use the highest Cat* you can afford

1 minute ago, I love you said:

Rule of thumb, use the highest Cat* you can afford

Agreed. CAT6 also offers the benefit of handling 10Gig over longer distances compared to CAT5e :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Cat5e and Cat6 is almost similar, both can run 1Gbps without problem. The main difference is Cat6 is more thicker, so would be more durable when pulling the wire. Also using Cat6 it is possible to run 10Gbps on a short cable run on perfect condition.

You can use Cat5e modular jack on Cat6 cable without problem. However, using Cat6 modular jack on Cat5e cable is a bit hit and miss. I personally use Cat6 cable from AMP, and use Cat5e modular jack to save money. Both performs just fine.

If you want to this all by yourself, you will need:

• Cat6/Cat5e cable. I personally recommend Cat6 cable, Belden or AMP brand.
  • Modular Jack. To save money use the Cat5e one. I personally use AMP brand exclusively.
  • Face plate for the modular jack, buy according how many hole do you need.
  • Patch panel on the central site (not really required, but is highly desireable). Amazon.
  • Few patch cords to connect from the patch panel to the switch. (not required if not using patch panel)
  • Punch down tool, I use TRENDNET brand from Amazon.
  • Wire stripper. Not really required, you can use cutter or scissors. Amazon.

If you want more durable one, you can buy STP cable instead of UTP. I recommend those cable for outdoor run (or even FTP cable). I personally use normal UTP and put it inside some PVC pipe on outdoor run, since I believe it is much more durable than STP/FTP.