Best CPU to get (under $400)

Hey there! I'm currently looking to upgrade my computer/rebuild it (I say that because I am replacing many of the parts) and was wondering what CPU to get. I am willing to spend at maximum $400 but would prefer to spend less (If there is something slightly over $400 that is worth the extra money I would consider that). The PC would be mainly used for gaming. Also, I would be buying the motherboard based on the CPU so compatibility isn't a problem. Thank you so much!

IMO, best gaming cpu right now is the i7 6700k, single thread performance still seems to be most important, but if I was building something for myself right now, I would go for the i5 6600k.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

When you say the PC will be mainly used for gaming, do you do any other work on the side?

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Since you mentioned no other information but the budget for the CPU I will tell you to buy the absolute best and mainstream right now. i7 6700k

Core2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.00GHz ✦  8GB Corsair RAM ✦Asus P5G41Tm - Lx3 ✦ Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X ✦ WD Caviar Green 640 GB ✦ Seagate Barracuda 160GB ✦ Fractal Design Define R5 ✦ 1Life ps:jet 700W ✦  

Lenovo Y520 - GTX1050Ti - i77700k - 250GB Samsung M.2 NVME SSD  :D 

4 minutes ago, YavulTheTurtle said:

Hey there! I'm currently looking to upgrade my computer/rebuild it (I say that because I am replacing many of the parts) and was wondering what CPU to get. I am willing to spend at maximum $400 but would prefer to spend less (If there is something slightly over $400 that is worth the extra money I would consider that). The PC would be mainly used for gaming. Also, I would be buying the motherboard based on the CPU so compatibility isn't a problem. Thank you so much!

I7-4790k if your into overclocking for around 340$

i7-4790 if your not into over clocking for around 304$

and Xeon 1231v3 if your looking for an i7-4790 without the IGPU for around 254$

All 4 core, 8 thread

Or, if your interested in an E5-2690 from Deep Discount Servers for 330$ which has 8 core, 16 thread, 3Ghz (3.8Turbo)

But all is up to you :)

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

Or you could ask for a full build c;

What's the total budget?

The MAXIMUM budget is $1200 but I already have everything but liquid cooling, cpu, gpu, motherboard, and maybe an ssd (I already have a 2tb hdd). 

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

When you say the PC will be mainly used for gaming, do you do any other work on the side?

It will be mainly gaming, I do some basic work on the side like writing documents and things. Some light photoshop.

3 minutes ago, YavulTheTurtle said:

The MAXIMUM budget is $1200 but I already have everything but liquid cooling, cpu, gpu, motherboard, and maybe an ssd (I already have a 2tb hdd). 

i7-6700k and a really nice Z170 motherboard. Also, air cooling is usually better than liquid cooling if it isn't a custom loop. For example, the NH-D15 usually outperforms most 120mm and 240mm AiOs whilst being quieter, costing less and having less points of failure. An SSD is a must nowadays and what PSU did you buy?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

i7-6700k and a really nice Z170 motherboard. Also, air cooling is usually better than liquid cooling if it isn't a custom loop. For example, the NH-D15 usually outperforms most 120mm and 240mm AiOs whilst being quieter, costing less and having less points of failure. An SSD is a must nowadays and what PSU did you buy?

Thanks and I have a LSI Ultra 750W ATX PSU 

1 minute ago, YavulTheTurtle said:

It will be mainly gaming, I do some basic work on the side like writing documents and things. Some light photoshop.

Then I've got to agree with the majority on the i7 6700K. Best gaming CPU out currently and the hyperthreading should help in your photoshop work.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

Then I've got to agree with the majority on the i7 6700K. Best gaming CPU out currently and the hyperthreading should help in your photoshop work.

5 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

For under 400 is the 5820k LGA2011v3 i7

7 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

I7-4790k if your into overclocking for around 340$

i7-4790 if your not into over clocking for around 304$

and Xeon 1231v3 if your looking for an i7-4790 without the IGPU for around 254$

All 4 core, 8 thread

Or, if your interested in an E5-2690 from Deep Discount Servers for 330$ which has 8 core, 16 thread, 3Ghz (3.8Turbo)

But all is up to you :)

7 minutes ago, Ellen_orangecloud said:

You can get an i7-6700K with that money or an LGA 1150 Xeon like the E3-1241v3. 
But if you're just gaming, you should be set with an i5-6600K. ^_^

8 minutes ago, Fatelinha said:

Since you mentioned no other information but the budget for the CPU I will tell you to buy the absolute best and mainstream right now. i7 6700k

9 minutes ago, Samppa221 said:

9 minutes ago, Megahurt said:

IMO, best gaming cpu right now is the i7 6700k, single thread performance still seems to be most important, but if I was building something for myself right now, I would go for the i5 6600k.

Thank you guys so much for your opinions. I was leaning towards the 6700k but now it seems like that is definitely what I'll do

Thank you guys so much for your opinions. I was leaning towards the 6700k but now it seems like that is definitely what I'll do

Just saying though, the 4790k has a higher clock speed than the 6700k. it is newer yes, but your paying 70$ more for 0.2Ghz Less with the 6700k. The xeon Equivalent might be a better option to save some money, and put it somewhere else or save for future upgrade. The Xeon E3-1280v3 is the 6700k equivalent for a lot cheaper 

1 minute ago, ZeusXI said:

Just saying though, the 4790k has a higher clock speed than the 6700k. it is newer yes, but your paying 70$ more for 0.2Ghz Less with the 6700k. The xeon Equivalent might be a better option to save some money, and put it somewhere else or save for future upgrade. The Xeon E3-1280v3 is the 6700k equivalent for a lot cheaper 

See I looked at the 4790k but I came here to see what people recommended and it seems that the general consensus is that it is better to get the 6700k. 

See I looked at the 4790k but I came here to see what people recommended and it seems that the general consensus is that it is better to get the 6700k. 

It is negotiable, but its all up to you in the end :)

28 minutes ago, YavulTheTurtle said:

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

11 minutes ago, YavulTheTurtle said:

1 hour ago, ZeusXI said:

You can't compare the clockspeeds of different CPU architectures to determine relative performance, since Skylake overall has a higher IPC.

Also, the price difference between the i7 4790K and i7 6700K is $20 at most. The video you linked was made when Skylake just launched and prices were massively inflated (just like the GTX 1070 and GTX 1080).

Spoiler

3 hours ago, YavulTheTurtle said:

Thanks and I have a LSI Ultra 750W ATX PSU 

Sounds like it's time to replace the fireworks PSU you got there. Check out the PSUs listed in yellow in my dig.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

14 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Sounds like it's time to replace the fireworks PSU you got there. Check out the PSUs listed in yellow in my dig.

What do you mean by fireworks PSU? Also if you think I should replace it, why and which would you recommend?

9 hours ago, YavulTheTurtle said:

What do you mean by fireworks PSU? Also if you think I should replace it, why and which would you recommend?

He means that it's not completely impossible for the PSU to fizzle out and pop (hence, the fireworks). It's a PSU with low quality components and dodgy build quality, so it's something I wouldn't trust powering high end components such as a i7 6700K.

As for recommendations, take a look at the EVGA SuperNOVA G2. The wattage depends on what your specs are.

Spoiler

12 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

You can't compare the clockspeeds of different CPU architectures to determine relative performance, since Skylake overall has a higher IPC.

Also, the price difference between the i7 4790K and i7 6700K is $20 at most. The video you linked was made when Skylake just launched and prices were massively inflated (just like the GTX 1070 and GTX 1080).

currently the I7-4790k is at 330$ and the 6700k is at 390$