How often is the public ip for residential changed on xfinity?

Xtreme Gamer

How often is the public ip for residential changed on xfinity?

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

Not very often, I believe I've had the same IP for over a year now.

Fairly sure you can cause it to change by disconnecting your modem, waiting a few minutes, and reconnecting it, not entirely sure though. (Could probably also ask support, but not like they can do anything other than push buttons)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I don't think any ISP would change Public IP's for no major reason,

they cost a fair bit of money, are you sure it's not your Private IP that has changed?

5 minutes ago, abhiflares said:

I don't think any ISP would change Public IP's for no major reason,

they cost a fair bit of money, are you sure it's not your Private IP that has changed?

I was only curious because i just now figured out how to remotely manage my router.

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

10 hours ago, Xtreme Gamer said:

I was only curious because i just now figured out how to remotely manage my router.

I wouldn't mess with my router if there was nothing wrong with it, especially with the settings for Public IP, 

it would only cause you trouble.

The way DHCP works is that when a device sends out a Discovery packet asking for what DHCP servers are out there, it can also provide it's preferred IP address, which is normally the last IP it had or the one it has right now. Usually this preferred IP will be granted unless there is some other circumstances. The server also keeps tracks of DHCP leases, which is how it doesn't give the same IP out twice. Most servers are set up to give a DHCP client the same IP as before when they renew their lease while the server still has the lease in memory.

Basically, while your IP address *could* change every day or few days, both the client and the server have mechanisms that tend to have you keep the same IP for a long time.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

If you want to be able to manage your router remotely, I would suggest setting up Dynamic DNS and a VPN server that way you can remote into your LAN and manage the router from the LAN side.  Opening your router configuration to the WAN interface usually exposes numerous security vulnerabilities.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

21 hours ago, TheKDub said:

Not very often, I believe I've had the same IP for over a year now.

Fairly sure you can cause it to change by disconnecting your modem, waiting a few minutes, and reconnecting it, not entirely sure though. (Could probably also ask support, but not like they can do anything other than push buttons)

Also it will change if a different mac address is connected. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.