RX480 a letdown?

Flowey
18 hours ago, JamGorby said:

Here's some 'leaked' benchmarks for the rx490. Take them with a grain of salt. :P 

5jLSDrC.png

That's so obviously Photo-shopped... sorry... can that... MS Paint-ed...

15 hours ago, DXMember said:

we were promissed Oculus/Vive VR minimum spec for less than $250, and boy did they deliver...

7KNmCXj.jpg

Those with the latest drivers? Previous drivers only got it around the 7 score.

15 hours ago, StormEye said:

Would it be cheaper to pay international shipping and get it from elsewhere?

Problem is grey imports... our Consumer Laws provide massive protection... only if bought locally...

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/

15 hours ago, DXMember said:

we were promissed Oculus/Vive VR minimum spec for less than $250, and boy did they deliver...

7KNmCXj.jpg

Remember you saying that test didn't count? Pepperidge farm remembers.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

4 hours ago, alphaproject said:

I made a video similar to this guys and got nothing but thumbs down, was pretty funny.

You know what? I seemed to have noticed that a lot of videos that were released prior and after the release of the card that were trying to calm the hype got a lot of dislikes. Not so much on larger youtubers but small timers got a like:dislike ratio os 1:3 and such. Are AMD fanboys going around disliking these videos or something?

2 hours ago, Tech Inquisition said:

That's so obviously Photo-shopped... sorry... can that... MS Paint-ed...

Nah man it's totally legit.  And 490x is looking even better! xD 

5jLSDrC.jpg

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 2016/6/29 at 6:27 PM, ZioSerpe said:

This is mighty no.9 all over again

I certainly don't think it's a bad game but there's a lot of room for improvement. They got the basics all right. What do you not like about the game? I would like to hear your opinion, mate.

For a 200$ or 249$ gpu, it's performing quite ok. It definitely lowered prices for a lot of first time pc builds. It can play high refresh rate 1080p + some decent high 1440p + AWESOME VR. I don't really see a big flaw in all of this but I was expecting it to beat both the R9 390 and the GTX 970 by about 5-7 fps. (which happen in some cases.)

I do think there might be some untapped potential in this little card that maybe the drivers + AIB partners designs can give it to us.

OC doesn't look great on this card at the moment. I don't really know if it's because of the gpu or the thermals. Might take a closer look at it.

The hype train didn't do so well. ._. 

Hype train was derailed....  AMD has a 970 type card 2 years later... Not sure I understand why anyone was excited?  Isn't the 390 already a contender to the 970? Why didn't they just lower the cost of 390 cards and call it a day? Or.. heck... make the Fury $300... that's a statement more exciting than the 480. The Fury at $300 is awesome. LOL.

If and only if the RX480 reached 980 level is it exciting in my mind. As it stands now I don't see the allure of it especially the reference boards.

5 hours ago, App4that said:

Remember you saying that test didn't count? Pepperidge farm remembers.

i remember saying there was something wrong with the initial release build of the tool, because it was showing funny results - first of all it didn't do crossfire as promised, second of all it wasn't being detected as an actual 3D application by Radeon drivers so the card wasn't doing 100% utilization at full 3D clock speeds

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Nah man it's totally legit.  And 490x is looking even better! xD 

5jLSDrC.jpg

wow now thanks to this, it made me look, and both tis and the original - all the card names are kind of blurry from interpolation and aliasing, except for the top Radeon that's obviously added to the graph later

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

2 hours ago, DXMember said:

wow now thanks to this, it made me look, and both tis and the original - all the card names are kind of blurry from interpolation and aliasing, except for the top Radeon that's obviously added to the graph later

I was just doing it for a joke but I guess I could try and make a point now - these are easy to fake, either in Photoshop or Excel, and so I guess we should all be a little more suspicious of "leaks" since they're probably all just made up anyway.  At least that's how I'm going to treat them from now on, after what happened with the whole 980/970 equivalence thing...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 hours ago, alphaproject said:

Hype train was derailed....  AMD has a 970 type card 2 years later... Not sure I understand why anyone was excited?  Isn't the 390 already a contender to the 970? Why didn't they just lower the cost of 390 cards and call it a day? Or.. heck... make the Fury $300... that's a statement more exciting than the 480. The Fury at $300 is awesome. LOL.

If and only if the RX480 reached 980 level is it exciting in my mind. As it stands now I don't see the allure of it especially the reference boards.

You forget that all benchmarks compared the RX 480 to a highly OC'ed 970 which is equal to the stock 980. Wait for the custom solutions, this card will be unbeatable right now. If reference performs like that, the custom ones will perform better.

CPU i5 6600k @ 4.6GHz GPU MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G RAM 8 x 2gb DDR4-2800MHz Avexir RAM Mother Board ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming Case NZXT H440 PSU Cooler Master v750 750W Storage WD 1TB Blue + Samsung 950 pro 128gb m.2 pci-e SSD Cooler Corsair H110i GTX

Monitor BenQ BL2420PT 24" 1440p 60Hz

On ‎2016‎-‎06‎-‎29 at 11:44 PM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

It's an awesome card from one view, a letdown from another. For the midrange buyer it's an incredible card. It really is great to have a $200 card that is a legit powerhouse for 1080p gaming so people don't have to buy crap like GTX 960 and R9 380. They can actually get a card that will play the vast majority of games at 1080p mix of ultra and high while delivering a consistent 60 fps. I mean that's absolutely huge for the midrange buyer to not have to spend $300 any more on a high performance card. This card makes high-end 1080p gaming cheaper than it has ever been, and this is very much a high-end card for 1080p.

From the viewpoint of the high end 1440p/4k buyer Polaris 10 is an enormous letdown because of the terrible performance per watt after a node shrink. I think most people were expecting a card that used around 110W or so in gaming loads based on rumors and on the card having a single 6-pin power connector. What kind of stupid design is that to have a 165W card using power delivery that can only do 150W in spec? It's unbelievably disappointing to see AMD only catching up to the 970's performance per watt after a shrink to 14 nm when Nvidia had the same performance to watt ratio at 28 nm. It makes you wonder how they can go very far with Vega. I mean are they going to need a 300W Vega chip to compete with GP104? How the hell are they going to compete with GP102 then, or even GP100 if that ever makes it to gamers? Are they going to have a 450W Fury XX card that sounds like a jet engine?

Well not a letdown in that sense, I mean we knew from the beginning that the real AMD high end offering would come from VEGA, not polaris 10. I mean we still have to wait and see what AMD can do with drivers at this point. Otherwise highend market really wasn'T meant to be found in polaris 10, I think AMD themselves made that pretty clear. Still one hell of a bang for your buck card though

9 hours ago, YongKang said:

For a 200$ or 249$ gpu, it's performing quite ok. It definitely lowered prices for a lot of first time pc builds. It can play high refresh rate 1080p + some decent high 1440p + AWESOME VR. I don't really see a big flaw in all of this but I was expecting it to beat both the R9 390 and the GTX 970 by about 5-7 fps. (which happen in some cases.)

I do think there might be some untapped potential in this little card that maybe the drivers + AIB partners designs can give it to us.

OC doesn't look great on this card at the moment. I don't really know if it's because of the gpu or the thermals. Might take a closer look at it.

The hype train didn't do so well. ._. 

Give the drivers a bit of time, I'm sure it's gonna beat the 970 after the while, Nvidia really don't focus on keeping their older line of products viable, lok at the whole 290x thingy.

On 30.6.2016 at 8:49 AM, JamGorby said:

Speculation, such as rx480 matches gtx980 or rx480 competes with gtx1070, is almost directly the fault of the red team fanboys. I say 'almost' because AMD is the company marketing the thing. They should better control expectations and decry such fanboyism because, in the end, it only hurts them. What is AMD's part in this? Their only official benchamrks were 2 rx480's vs a gtx1080. What a stupid thing to do. Why couldn't they have done a normal single card benchmark? Why would you want such a humdrum card being associated with or mentioned even in the same sentence as a card it in no way could possibly compete with?  I thought it was a rather weird thing to do since they did it. 

You end up with shit like this, in the end....
http://www.christiantoday.com/article/amd.radeon.rx.480.price.gpu.launches.on.june.29.with.200.and.230.variants/89197.htm

Now, no one here in their right mind would go to a site called 'Christian Today" to get the latest news on tech stuff. But this is just an example of the type of 'news' the non-techie might see. And look at their 'sources',  Yibada and WCCF tech )of course). The originators of 'leaked benchmarks' claiming the 480 is on the heels of these cards. 

Everyone always makes the same disclaimer "take this with a grain of salt". lol Looks like they saved the salt for the tears of fanboys. 

And it will happen over and over and over again. No matter how many times speculation proves to be useless. Speculation becomes truth in the minds of idiots. 

EDIT: TL;DR

Here's some 'leaked' benchmarks for the rx490. Take them with a grain of salt. :P 

5jLSDrC.png

Dunno...

People took the benchmarks far too positively and they weren't official. There wasn't official communication beyond saying that it is a card for VR (hits that GTX 970 / R9 290 territory) and that it would be more power efficient. From the official communication you could say that only the power efficiency is a letdown in the light of what nVidia is capable of.

Far too many other promises fell flat with the Fury X imho, but it's just AMD's story at the moment - they're relatively behind, and their ownership of the console market and performance through APIs is yet to catch wind under the wings.

That said historically, when nVidia was in the same position - GTX 480 was supposed to be the ATI killer. Came 6 months late, and even then it was still a bad buy except for people who would watercool their cards without a question and are only performance aware regardless of price.

Pretty sure whatever the gigantic 14 nm cards will be, they will with HBM2 and much more silicon outperform GTX 1080 pretty easily though... especially since they will be aimed for 4K and high-performance VR. Otherwise it is just a waste of all that bandwidth.

Woohoo It's here... It's finally here!!!

Results!

:/

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 hour ago, Flowey said:

Well not a letdown in that sense, I mean we knew from the beginning that the real AMD high end offering would come from VEGA, not polaris 10. I mean we still have to wait and see what AMD can do with drivers at this point. Otherwise highend market really wasn'T meant to be found in polaris 10, I think AMD themselves made that pretty clear. Still one hell of a bang for your buck card though

I never said Polaris was supposed to be anything but the mainstream card, it was the AMD fanboys who kept hyping it up like it was going to match 980 Ti. But if they can't get their power consumption in check on Polaris why would they be able to on Vega? That's horrible that their performance per watt is on par with a 28 nm gpu of the same performance class. How are they gonna scale this thing up to compete with GP104 and GP102? 

3 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Nipples

At this point polaris 11/vega isn't that far away, but from polaris 10 we can evaluate that i'll either perform, in term of perf/watt, just as polaris 10, or improve a bit. I mean, what did you expect, AMD can't scrap evertything they've done in the past 5 years because it ended up having shit perf/watt.At least they delivered on the "cheap VR" claim. Well get a king of perf/$ but a peasant of perf/watt, at which point which one of the two you want is your call. At this point though until amd states anything the card till performs as it claimed it would, which is nice.

1 minute ago, Flowey said:

SNIP

Holy shit I'm drunk

7 minutes ago, Flowey said:

At this point polaris 11/vega isn't that far away, but from polaris 10 we can evaluate that i'll either perform, in term of perf/watt, just as polaris 10, or improve a bit. I mean, what did you expect, AMD can't scrap evertything they've done in the past 5 years because it ended up having shit perf/watt.At least they delivered on the "cheap VR" claim. Well get a king of perf/$ but a peasant of perf/watt, at which point which one of the two you want is your call. At this point though until amd states anything the card till performs as it claimed it would, which is nice.

I expected AMD to have much stronger performance per watt in Polaris 10. The performance is exactly where I figured it would be based on their marketing of it as a minimum spec VR card. But the power consumption is way higher than I expected from their marketing of it as a low power card that only needs a 6-pin connector. I was expecting 110W-120W, not 165W which needs two 6-pins or an 8-pin, not one 6-pin, to keep in spec.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I expected AMD to have much stronger performance per watt in Polaris 10. The performance is exactly where I figured it would be based on their marketing of it as a minimum spec VR card. But the power consumption is way higher than I expected from their marketing of it as a low power card that only needs a 6-pin connector. I was expecting 110W-120W, not 165W which needs two 6-pins or an 8-pin, not one 6-pin, to keep in spec.

Yeah that 6pins can't be justified, it's just retarded, it's gonna fuck so many cheap mobo buyers.

8 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I was just doing it for a joke but I guess I could try and make a point now - these are easy to fake, either in Photoshop or Excel, and so I guess we should all be a little more suspicious of "leaks" since they're probably all just made up anyway.  At least that's how I'm going to treat them from now on, after what happened with the whole 980/970 equivalence thing...

a joke? you mean like this?

I guess the biggest letdown in my own mind would be that in order to hit 390x performance, you pretty much need to draw as much power from the 480, which in the end makes a 390/x a solid buy if you can find one for the same price as a 480, or as we've seen in some cases, even cheaper than 480 because of gouging.

What this translates into (as TTL said in his 480 discussion video) - is that the 480 scales with power draw, not frequency, which means that polaris gets its performance from other means than clock increases. increasing power target by 30% literally pulls 30% more power and gets a few more % of performance (without touching clocks). This further means that the black edition xfx card at 1328Mhz is a scam because the card is still limited by the power draw of the reference design, and therefore limited to the same performance as the rest of the 480 reference cards.

Lastly, this means that even though one AIB 480 might have a higher out-of-box frequency than another AIB 480, if they have the same power delivery they will literally perform within margin of error to each other, regardless of what clocks they can reach. It's really gonna be funny watching 480 owners compete in the unigine valley thread.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

11 hours ago, YongKang said:

I certainly don't think it's a bad game but there's a lot of room for improvement. They got the basics all right. What do you not like about the game? I would like to hear your opinion, mate.

I like the game, it has a lot to improve but it is undeniably a spiritual successor to megaman with some new mechanics (I like the dash mechanic but the fact you can spam it in air is dumb). My point was that it was a game that delivers on it's original promise and despite not being a masterpiece (out of all megaman is megaman III basically) it's a solid game for why the initial found asked was, the people have more and they started slapping extra stuff on the game but any extra goal reward had nothing to do with the core gameplay.

My point is that mighty no.9 and RX 480 both delivered exactly what they promised, but are getting criticized because some cunts were expecting more despite never actually been promised more.

I'm running a 750Ti and was looking forward to this card, but the power usage sounds like a bad deal in the long run. Hopefully the non-reference cards will address that issue. I guess I could always buy a 960, but I want something with more than 4gb of ram. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

5 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

I'm running a 750Ti and was looking forward to this card, but the power usage sounds like a bad deal in the long run. Hopefully the non-reference cards will address that issue. I guess I could always buy a 960, but I want something with more than 4gb of ram. 

yeah 1060 and AIB 480's will come out in a couple weeks, so options should be on the table then (but not necessarily in stock for long on either side).

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR