Need some suggestions in choosing GPU

58 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Did they?  I completely blocked that out I guess xD All the independent leaks (for whatever they were worth, which it turns out is nothing) also said that though.

Yes, absolutely.  I'd even recommend it over a 970 or 390, assuming those cards are much more expensive (which I figure they will be).

Yeah they did in the very beginning, and that could have gotten the hype train started.

Fortunately it's still a great card and no longer a power hog :)

18 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

Yeah they did in the very beginning, and that could have gotten the hype train started.

There are some concerns about how it's getting the power it does use though:

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

There are some concerns about how it's getting the power it does use though:

Well damn, it's not looking that bright for the RX 480.

I think we'll have to wait what third parties make of the card. It isn't bad, but it's not what they marketed.

Don't get a previous generation card it's not worth it given the huge performance improvements on the newer generations. If you can afford a rx480, get it and even if the i3 bottlenecks it you can upgrade it later down the line( or just save a bit more and get an i5).

8 hours ago, RedJamaX said:

What bottleneck you might have depends on what games you play and at what settings you want to play them....  also depends on which i3??  New SkyLake?  Or are you getting an older version due to budget restraints?

See this (below)... it will show the difference in bottlenecks from different CPUs and games based on different graphics settings...

Hi thanks for the reply. Sorry for not being specific though.

As I've mentioned in the previous replies, I am aiming for the i3-6100 skylake but from some conversations over here and my peers, I am convinced in stepping it up to i5-6400-6500.

I was trying to do some gaming on a 144hz monitor, Though I only like to play in medium or high settings in order to produce more FPS? (not sure, kinda newbie about these things). Just want some decent graphics output and stable fps. Do you think I can have stable fps on med-high in a 144hz single monitor?

For the games, I would like to reference the following: CSGO,DOTA 2, Final Fantasy Series(Steam Versions), Overwatch, maybe Tom Clancy's series, mostly new titles and little bit of the old. ( med-high settings if fps is gonna be alright).

CPU: FX-8350  MOBO: Gigabyte 970-DS3P  GPU: Palit GTX 650ti Boost  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB 1600MHz  

AIO CPU: Coolermaster Seidon 120m   CASE: Coolermaster N300  PSU: Corsair VS550  HDD 1: 1TB WD Blue Caviar  HDD 2: 160GB WD 

4 hours ago, HeadsUpHigh said:

Don't get a previous generation card it's not worth it given the huge performance improvements on the newer generations. If you can afford a rx480, get it and even if the i3 bottlenecks it you can upgrade it later down the line( or just save a bit more and get an i5).

Well, I really like your suggestion here as it agrees to my initial plan.

maybe i can get the cheapest i5 model instead of an i3. around 60-ish difference in price though from i3-i5 (low-end models).

Thank you.

CPU: FX-8350  MOBO: Gigabyte 970-DS3P  GPU: Palit GTX 650ti Boost  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB 1600MHz  

AIO CPU: Coolermaster Seidon 120m   CASE: Coolermaster N300  PSU: Corsair VS550  HDD 1: 1TB WD Blue Caviar  HDD 2: 160GB WD 

11 hours ago, deWaardt said:

Actually could you find links to that, if it's not too much trouble please?  I'd be useful to have actually, and I'm not seeing it on Google right away...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 hours ago, ?Snarky? said:

maybe i can get the cheapest i5 model instead of an i3. around 60-ish difference in price though from i3-i5 (low-end models).

Thank you.

In your signature you are speaking about an FX-8350, where'd that one go?

If you still have it, you could use it while saving up for a better CPU.

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Actually could you find links to that, if it's not too much trouble please?  I'd be useful to have actually, and I'm not seeing it on Google right away...

Yeah I'll take a look at it as soon as I get out of bed.

7 hours ago, ?Snarky? said:

Thank you.

Happy to help. Also don't bother with the stock amd rx 480, wait just a bit and get a after-market one, those will probably have better coolers and a 8-pin connector that will solve all those power issues

1 hour ago, deWaardt said:

In your signature you are speaking about an FX-8350, where'd that one go?

If you still have it, you could use it while saving up for a better CPU.

Yeah I'll take a look at it as soon as I get out of bed.

Well i still got it but my pc is experiecing random reboots and i already got my new psu but i am afraid of damaging my new one. I am just enduring until i get all my components. Gonna get the new case in a few days. Hopefully it is gonna be great. Will update this thread with a pic of it.

15 minutes ago, ?Snarky? said:

Well i still got it but my pc is experiecing random reboots and i already got my new psu but i am afraid of damaging my new one. I am just enduring until i get all my components. Gonna get the new case in a few days. Hopefully it is gonna be great. Will update this thread with a pic of it.

Ah okay.

Random reboots are never a good thing.

I have not been able to find the links again, but I swear I've seen them say it atleast somewhere.

1 hour ago, HeadsUpHigh said:

Happy to help. Also don't bother with the stock amd rx 480, wait just a bit and get a after-market one, those will probably have better coolers and a 8-pin connector that will solve all those power issues

Thanks for the heads-up. Been a newb for pc parts. Just starting. Hope rx 480 will be good.

14 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

Ah okay.

Random reboots are never a good thing.

I have not been able to find the links again, but I swear I've seen them say it atleast somewhere.

Yeah, I was gonna try my seasonic 620 evo but oh well. I think GPU is dying. LOL

Thanks for the tips man. Really appreciate it.

32 minutes ago, ?Snarky? said:

Thanks for the heads-up. Been a newb for pc parts. Just starting. Hope rx 480 will be good.

No probs. Also I just saw the cpu on your signature too. It's definitely a bottleneck for the rx 480, but you can buy the 480 now and stick it to your current system and wait until you have enough for mobo + i5. No idea why you are having reboots, could be anything really.

10 hours ago, ?Snarky? said:

Hi thanks for the reply. Sorry for not being specific though.

As I've mentioned in the previous replies, I am aiming for the i3-6100 skylake but from some conversations over here and my peers, I am convinced in stepping it up to i5-6400-6500.

I was trying to do some gaming on a 144hz monitor, Though I only like to play in medium or high settings in order to produce more FPS? (not sure, kinda newbie about these things). Just want some decent graphics output and stable fps. Do you think I can have stable fps on med-high in a 144hz single monitor?

For the games, I would like to reference the following: CSGO,DOTA 2, Final Fantasy Series(Steam Versions), Overwatch, maybe Tom Clancy's series, mostly new titles and little bit of the old. ( med-high settings if fps is gonna be alright).

The Rx 480 (based on what I've seen) will be great for the games you listed.   If you are planning on getting The Division, that one will be stressing that 480 so you may have to play with the graphics settings a little bit more to get higher frame rates.  First things to drop (in my opinion) are Anti-aliasing, Physics  (if that is an option) ,Ambient Occlusion, and shadows.  For the other games listed you should stay WELL ABOVE 60fps...  Not sure what information you've gotten fro others about your monitor, but a 144Hz monitor does not mean you "have" to have 144fps performance.  Higher refresh rates help to make the video smoother from frame to frame.

31 minutes ago, HeadsUpHigh said:

No probs. Also I just saw the cpu on your signature too. It's definitely a bottleneck for the rx 480, but you can buy the 480 now and stick it to your current system and wait until you have enough for mobo + i5. No idea why you are having reboots, could be anything really.

Thanks, been doing some stress testing and I am stuck with either gpu,psu,mobo. Anyway, it's okay for now. I can browse and watch netflix. I can't game all the time though. LOL.

12 minutes ago, RedJamaX said:

The Rx 480 (based on what I've seen) will be great for the games you listed.   If you are planning on getting The Division, that one will be stressing that 480 so you may have to play with the graphics settings a little bit more to get higher frame rates.  First things to drop (in my opinion) are Anti-aliasing, Physics  (if that is an option) ,Ambient Occlusion, and shadows.  For the other games listed you should stay WELL ABOVE 60fps...  Not sure what information you've gotten fro others about your monitor, but a 144Hz monitor does not mean you "have" to have 144fps performance.  Higher refresh rates help to make the video smoother from frame to frame.

Hi! Thanks for your input.

My only understanding of 144hz(because I haven't seen or tried one) is that it looks much better and life-like(dunno the proper term) compared to a 1080 60hz monitor that I have. Well, I am okay without AA, A little bit of shadows maybe low, no idea of ambient occlusion though maybe i will test it soon enough.

From what I understand from your statement is that, Getting a higher refresh rate of a monitor will give it better visuals when for example playing csgo or watching fast paced racing cars? Sorry No idea. 

2 minutes ago, ?Snarky? said:

Hi! Thanks for your input.

My only understanding of 144hz(because I haven't seen or tried one) is that it looks much better and life-like(dunno the proper term) compared to a 1080 60hz monitor that I have. Well, I am okay without AA, A little bit of shadows maybe low, no idea of ambient occlusion though maybe i will test it soon enough.

From what I understand from your statement is that, Getting a higher refresh rate of a monitor will give it better visuals when for example playing csgo or watching fast paced racing cars? Sorry No idea. 

Quick explanation...

The Refresh Rate (60Hz, or 144hz, depending on your monitor) is separate from the Frame Rate.

Frame Rate is how fast your video card can render the frames of video to send to the screen.  This is the performance measurement you typically see in benchmarks that usually reported in minimum , average, and maximum. 

The Refresh Rate is the rate that your monitor re-draws the image on the screen.  This is a constant process, on a 60Hz monitor, even when you are just sitting at your desktop, the monitor takes the image from your video card and draws that image to the screen 60 times per second.   With 144Hz monitor (when set to 144Hz, some can be adjusted) it draws that desktop image to the screen 144 times per second.

When you are playing games these two things work together...  The video card sends the frames to the screen at the rate it can render the image...  So, if your video card is running a game at 30 frame per second, and your monitor is a 60Hz monitor... then the monitor is drawing each frame twice, then moving on to the next.  If your video card is running a game at 60 frames per second, then your monitor is drawing each from once, then moving on to the next one being sent by the video card.

with a 60Hx monitor, that is the maximum number of frames that the monitor can draw... even if the game is running at 120 fps...  This just means that each frame is drawn about half-way, and then the video card sends the next frame and the rest of the screen is drawn with that frame...  this causes "tearing"...  VSync makes the video card synchronize the timing of sending frames to the refresh rate, and even if it "could" run at 120fps... it will lock at 60fps to run at the same rate as the monitor refresh.

for the 144Hz monitor, you can use G-Sync and it will be able to synchronize the frames and the monitor refresh all the way up to 144Hz which makes it a lot smoother ...  But, if you are playing games that your system can only run at 30fps... then a 144Hz monitor is not going to do anything for you...  Because even though the screen is refreshing at 144Hz... it is still only drawing the 30fps that the video card can send it...

7 minutes ago, RedJamaX said:

Quick explanation...

The Refresh Rate (60Hz, or 144hz, depending on your monitor) is separate from the Frame Rate.

Frame Rate is how fast your video card can render the frames of video to send to the screen.  This is the performance measurement you typically see in benchmarks that usually reported in minimum , average, and maximum. 

The Refresh Rate is the rate that your monitor re-draws the image on the screen.  This is a constant process, on a 60Hz monitor, even when you are just sitting at your desktop, the monitor takes the image from your video card and draws that image to the screen 60 times per second.   With 144Hz monitor (when set to 144Hz, some can be adjusted) it draws that desktop image to the screen 144 times per second.

When you are playing games these two things work together...  The video card sends the frames to the screen at the rate it can render the image...  So, if your video card is running a game at 30 frame per second, and your monitor is a 60Hz monitor... then the monitor is drawing each frame twice, then moving on to the next.  If your video card is running a game at 60 frames per second, then your monitor is drawing each from once, then moving on to the next one being sent by the video card.

with a 60Hx monitor, that is the maximum number of frames that the monitor can draw... even if the game is running at 120 fps...  This just means that each frame is drawn about half-way, and then the video card sends the next frame and the rest of the screen is drawn with that frame...  this causes "tearing"...  VSync makes the video card synchronize the timing of sending frames to the refresh rate, and even if it "could" run at 120fps... it will lock at 60fps to run at the same rate as the monitor refresh.

for the 144Hz monitor, you can use G-Sync and it will be able to synchronize the frames and the monitor refresh all the way up to 144Hz which makes it a lot smoother ...  But, if you are playing games that your system can only run at 30fps... then a 144Hz monitor is not going to do anything for you...  Because even though the screen is refreshing at 144Hz... it is still only drawing the 30fps that the video card can send it...

Now I understand a little bit. So it's like a combo of both gpu and monitor.

From what I understand is that it is useless to have a 144hz monitor if you have a gpu that can't provide decent performance? 

4 minutes ago, ?Snarky? said:

Now I understand a little bit. So it's like a combo of both gpu and monitor.

From what I understand is that it is useless to have a 144hz monitor if you have a gpu that can't provide decent performance? 

correct...  30 frames per second on a 144Hz monitor, still looks and feels like 30 frames per second on a 60Hz monitor.

1 hour ago, RedJamaX said:

correct...  30 frames per second on a 144Hz monitor, still looks and feels like 30 frames per second on a 60Hz monitor.

Thanks atleast now I now how to find a good monitor for a specific GPU. Thanks man. I appreciate it. 

Cheers!

4 minutes ago, ?Snarky? said:

Thanks atleast now I now how to find a good monitor for a specific GPU. Thanks man. I appreciate it. 

Cheers!

Also...  Be mindful of G-Sync vs  Free-Sync...  I think there are a few monitors that support both... but, usually it's one or the other.  Free-Sync is for AMD cards, and G-Sync is for NVidia

43 minutes ago, RedJamaX said:

Also...  Be mindful of G-Sync vs  Free-Sync...  I think there are a few monitors that support both... but, usually it's one or the other.  Free-Sync is for AMD cards, and G-Sync is for NVidia

Alright no idea about it. Will research on it now. Thank you.

Hi guys just want to update you guys. I just saw the price of rx 480 here from the local store. It is around $303. Phew!