Script/Batch File to open multiple windows of a single program and place them on different virtual desktops (Win10)

thorpj

I have a Surface Book, which i use to take notes. I'm looking for a way to automate the following process:

Note

• "VDx" refers to the virtual desktop feature within windows. x is the particular virtual desktop*
  • Onenote UWP is the Win10 metro version of Onenote (ON). It could just as easily be replaced with another ON2016 window, but i'd prefer if i could use ON UWP here.
  • Onenote 2016 is the desktop version of Onenote
  • I'll mark a couple of things that probably aren't possible, but i'm including them because they're part of the process

Process

• open onenote UWP on VD1
    • Switch to a particular notebook (probably not possible)
  • Open Onenote 2016 on VD2
  • open google chrome on VD2
  • On VD2, snap chrome to the left
  • On VD2, snap ON2016 to the right
  • adjust the size of each window so that the ON2016 window is a bit wider than the chrome window (probably not possible)
  • Navigate to a particular ON notebook. In this case, it's a contents page.
    • If possible, i'd like to create a batch file for each of my subjects, since which notebook->section group->section->page differs for each subject
  • Open Onenote 2016 on VD3
  • navigate to another, different ON notebook
  • Open a file explorer window on VD4 and navigate to a particular folder (folder dependant on subject).

Potentially helpful info

• Keyboard shortcut to open a new Onenote window is Ctrl+M. A onenote window must be in focus for this to work, and it will open on the same VD as that ON window.

I don't want to waste time on doing this every time I have a class. Also, due to bugs with the Surface Book, being forced to restart the device is not uncommon. If this has to happen halfway through furiously writing notes, i'm going to get left behind.

I really hope there's a way to do this, and i figure that if there is a way, someone on superuser will know about it. If not, perhaps there would be another StackExchange more suited to this?

Thanks in advance

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I found this < http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32491872/starting-programs-on-multiple-desktops-using-powershell-in-windows-10 >. I don't know where to start with this.

I've only just begun to learn C#, but automating this process would be very useful for me, so i'm going to keep at it.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit