Cancel button and it's (sometimes) confusing pop-up dialog

DXMember

Here's something to think about:

So after clicking the [Cancel] button you get a dialog pop-up with a question "Are you sure?" and options - [Cancel] or [OK]

Well first of all it is very confusing in different ways - the question "Are you sure?" is not answered by "Cancel" neither by "OK" - it's answered with "Yes" or "No"

And if I pressed "Cancel" to get here, if I am sure and what to confirm the cancelation -  why is clicking "Cancel" again not cancel the thing, because I consciously chose the button "Cancel"  twice already.

And the button "Cancel" under a new topic creation doesn't have a confirmation dialog at all.

And here's a brain twister - if we're canceling the dialog by choosing the "Cancel" option - why does it not have a confirmation dialog for canceling the previous confirmation dialog?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

This was suggested to the devs by someone else a few weeks ago, and is marked as planned, so it might be fixed in the future. Or it might just stay as planned and never actually get done. We shall see.

3 minutes ago, DXMember said:

And here's a brain twister - if we're canceling the dialog by choosing the "Cancel" option - why does it not have a confirmation dialog for canceling the previous confirmation dialog?

Clicking cancel in the dialog is a no-op - nothing is done - while cancelling the post may result in data loss.
(And yes, I know it was a joke).

HTTP/2 203

5 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

This was suggested to the devs by someone else a few weeks ago, and is marked as planned, so it might be fixed in the future. Or it might just stay as planned and never actually get done. We shall see.

Clicking cancel in the dialog is a no-op - nothing is done - while cancelling the post may result in data loss.
(And yes, I know it was a joke).

doesn't result in any kind of data loss actually... at least for me it doesn't... whenever I return to the unsubmitted post, the content is always there,

but it's not when you cancel on a new topic, and it also doesn't have the confirmation dialog when canceling a new topic

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

10 hours ago, DXMember said:

doesn't result in any kind of data loss actually... at least for me it doesn't... whenever I return to the unsubmitted post, the content is always there,

but it's not when you cancel on a new topic, and it also doesn't have the confirmation dialog when canceling a new topic

There is no cancel button when making a new post, but there is when editing a post, which is where I've heard this complaint before, and that does come with associated data loss.

HTTP/2 203

2 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

There is no cancel button when making a new post, but there is when editing a post, which is where I've heard this complaint before, and that does come with associated data loss.

it's new topic not post that has "unprotected" Cancel button

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

it's new topic not post that has "unprotected" Cancel button

Yeah.

When making a new post, there's no cancel button because the editor is just inline.

When editing a post, there is a cancel button, and clicking cancel has a confirmation dialog because your changes will not be saved anywhere if you cancel.

When creating a new topic, there's a cancel button but with no confirmation dialog because it will autosave your content.

HTTP/2 203