Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming (my opinion so far)

wildgg

hey LTT members!

i said in a few topics i would give my opinion on the Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming, 

For the people that are interested here we go i gues,

Got my gtx 1070 from Gigabyte in the mail this morning, first impression was holy sh^t this thing is allot heavier then my previous 970,

a few pictures of the card: http://imgur.com/a/meDz7

First thing i did was run Valley benchmark on loop for 10min~ and see what boost clocks i get, Results GPU-Z: http://i.imgur.com/ux7rKZb.png

as you can see it boosted by it self on (OC Mode) above 2ghz, imo that's awesome, i know we all got teased with 2100mhz pictures from nvidia.. but comon 2ghz is still amazing for a card right out of the box.

installing the Gigabyte XTREME Gaming engine was easy and went without any problems, 

every option works great so far, rgb, oc mode etc.

now i still need to do some benchmarks ofcours but il update the topic later today,

The card runs pretty cool, highest temps seen was 67C, 

Coilwhine is noticeable when doing benchmarks, especially in the loading screens but that is normal since the fps is way higher,

i played a few games real quick but i can't notice coilwhine even with 400fps on csgo.

so far a good experience with this card and i do recommend the gtx 1070 from Gigabyte!

personally i don't mind the orange on the shroud since you don't really see them, but for some people that might be a deal breaker i gues.

hope this helps atleast a few people to make their decision about buying a GTX 1070.

Let me know if you have any questions or requests for testing.

Firestrike: 14717 : http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8900236 ( Firestrike with OC: 15453 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8913169 )

Valley     : 3888   : file:///D:/Unigine_Valley_Benchmark_1.0_20160622_1235.html

GTA V   : minfps:44.8  maxfps:150.4   avgfps:97.6

if any links don't work just copy paste them in your browser.

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

just another reminder on how shitty the fanboy edition really is.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Semi on topic, sharing opinion of MSI Armor 1070

It's a big card, no backplate isnt that much of a problem as it doesnt sag much anyway
Runs at 72C 
Boosts to around 1915Mhz after hours of gaming
Pretty much silent
No Coil wine with BeQuiet 600W PSU

I haven't tried OC'ing it, not going to try really, for the person who will end up using it, there isn't a game where it will have problems to push 60fps 1080. 

5 minutes ago, roughavoc said:

i guess lower clock speed is to be expected with a lower end card. would be interesting to see how the gaming one performs.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Oh... you have a 1070 from GA. Can you do me a favor then? I would love to know how it performs in a very specific app, as I plan on buying it myself. If you could help me test it real quick, I'd be very appreciated. It should only take a few minutes of your time, but as a bonus, you can actually just let it run for longer and test cooling if you want. Skip the rest of the message if you are not up to it.

@roughavoc, if you can help me with your 1070 as well, I'm going to be super happy.

But if you are, download the app and a necessary cuda dll for it to run. Put them both into the same folder. If you know how to use cmd prompt (I'll explain in the spoiler below if you don't), the command line is "GFNSvCUDA-0_7-win32.exe 22 131000 131200 BX" without the quotes, where that X is a number between 7 and 13.

Start with X=7 and let it run for around 15 seconds. On the bottom line, at the very end, you should see a "xxx P/day" number: that's what I'm interested in. Take note of it. Repeat for X=8~13 and just post here whatever those numbers were, I'll know what they mean.

Oh, and if the screen lags horibly at the higher values, don't worry, it is normal.

Spoiler

How to use the command prompt (for the purpose of this test anyway):

1. In windows explorer, go to where you saved the files, click into the adress bar and copy that adress.
  2. Press Windows+R, type "cmd" without the quotes and hit the Enter key.
  3. In the new window that popped up, type "cd", hit the space key once and press Ctrl+V. Hit enter
  4. Copy that command line I mentioned early, without the quotes. Remember to change X to the number for each test. Hit enter.
  5. It'll show a bunch of stuff, don't worry. As I said, just look at the P/day number after around 20s and make note of it. Once you do, you can just press Ctrl+C to stop the test (yes, that shortcut is not for copying stuff in prompt).
  6. Then, repeat step 4 until you have all the data needed.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

@wildthing, nice review...

just for comparison with an OC'd EVGA 980 Classified ;)

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/8900236/fs/8716502

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

On 22-6-2016 at 0:25 PM, BOT Zee said:

Try overclocking and tell me if you get 2.1ghz on it

higher then 2050 and it won't complete any tests,

i saw a few people hit around 2150 on 1070's but i lost the silicon lottery i gues :P

added the OC score for firestrike to the topic if your interested.

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

On June 22, 2016 at 5:14 AM, wildthing said:

hey LTT members!

i said in a few topics i would give my opinion on the Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming, 

For the people that are interested here we go i gues,

Got my gtx 1070 from Gigabyte in the mail this morning, first impression was holy sh^t this thing is allot heavier then my previous 970,

a few pictures of the card: http://imgur.com/a/meDz7

First thing i did was run Valley benchmark on loop for 10min~ and see what boost clocks i get, Results GPU-Z: http://i.imgur.com/ux7rKZb.png

as you can see it boosted by it self on (OC Mode) above 2ghz, imo that's awesome, i know we all got teased with 2100mhz pictures from nvidia.. but comon 2ghz is still amazing for a card right out of the box.

installing the Gigabyte XTREME Gaming engine was easy and went without any problems, 

every option works great so far, rgb, oc mode etc.

now i still need to do some benchmarks ofcours but il update the topic later today,

The card runs pretty cool, highest temps seen was 67C, 

Coilwhine is noticeable when doing benchmarks, especially in the loading screens but that is normal since the fps is way higher,

i played a few games real quick but i can't notice coilwhine even with 400fps on csgo.

so far a good experience with this card and i do recommend the gtx 1070 from Gigabyte!

personally i don't mind the orange on the shroud since you don't really see them, but for some people that might be a deal breaker i gues.

hope this helps atleast a few people to make their decision about buying a GTX 1070.

Let me know if you have any questions or requests for testing.

Firestrike: 14717 : http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8900236 ( Firestrike with OC: 15453 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8913169 )

Valley     : 3888   : file:///D:/Unigine_Valley_Benchmark_1.0_20160622_1235.html

GTA V   : minfps:44.8  maxfps:150.4   avgfps:97.6

if any links don't work just copy paste them in your browser.

Would you have any way to show a video to show what any coil whine from this card sounds like?

Can you measure the length, width, and height of the card?  In mm if possible since I have a small tape measure in mm I can use to compare it to my 970.  I just want to make sure it'll fit in my case without having to remove a HDD cage.

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Would you have any way to show a video to show what any coil whine from this card sounds like?

Can you measure the length, width, and height of the card?  In mm if possible since I have a small tape measure in mm I can use to compare it to my 970.  I just want to make sure it'll fit in my case without having to remove a HDD cage.

i can try to record it with my phone but i'm not sure how it will pick it up,

the coilwhine is not noticeable during any game, just with loading screens that go up to 2000fps.

286x420x115mm

So far do you think it is worth the upgrade from the 970? I have the G1 970 (fantastic card btw) and have been thinking about possibly upgrading...waiting to see if they come out with a 1070 Xtreme though.

Edit: Look like they just announced an Xtreme 1070! Woop! http://videocardz.com/61411/gigabyte-announces-geforce-gtx-1070-xtreme-gaming

So will they make a waterforce cooler too? 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

Some dude on Youtube had this card and he hated the coil whine so bad he sent it back, and they sent him the Xtreme Gaming one... Although I can't recall if it was a 1080 or 1070. I think he posted on here so, who knows.

10 hours ago, wildthing said:

i can try to record it with my phone but i'm not sure how it will pick it up,

the coilwhine is not noticeable during any game, just with loading screens that go up to 2000fps.

286x420x115mm

It's fine to skip that if you don't think it'll pick up the sound well.  I'd hate to waste your time.

Is 420 the length, 286 the width, and 115 the height?

12 hours ago, RyGuy99 said:

So far do you think it is worth the upgrade from the 970? I have the G1 970 (fantastic card btw) and have been thinking about possibly upgrading...waiting to see if they come out with a 1070 Xtreme though.

Edit: Look like they just announced an Xtreme 1070! Woop! http://videocardz.com/61411/gigabyte-announces-geforce-gtx-1070-xtreme-gaming

So will they make a waterforce cooler too? 

depends on what you want, do you play 1080p>? then probably not, i did upgrade to 1070 from a970, i use 1080p 144hz monitors and wanted to play games max out.

970 is a great card for 1080p. 

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

It's fine to skip that if you don't think it'll pick up the sound well.  I'd hate to waste your time.

Is 420 the length, 286 the width, and 115 the height?

sorry if that was unclear, it's: 28.6cm long, 11.5cm width, 4.2cm height.

On 22. 6. 2016 at 0:26 PM, ChrisCross said:

just another reminder on how shitty the fanboy edition really is.

Well I bought fanboy edition, and got higher scores than OP.

So tell me again, why is it worst?

Untill they will make some binned GTX 1070, Founders Edition can still compare with others when you OC all cards.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

6 minutes ago, TheHappyJarhead said:

Doesnt the g1 only have 1x8 pin? 

yes one 8pin.

2 pin really doesn't help it OC it just helps the stability a bit. It still draws the same amount of power... no?

2 hours ago, wildthing said:

depends on what you want, do you play 1080p>? then probably not, i did upgrade to 1070 from a970, i use 1080p 144hz monitors and wanted to play games max out.

970 is a great card for 1080p. 

sorry if that was unclear, it's: 28.6cm long, 11.5cm width, 4.2cm height.

I'm getting a 4K TV and will most likely be playing on that so the extra power would be great. The 1070 isn't super great for 4K but going down to 1440p wouldn't bother me either since the TV can upscale to 4K. The 1080s are a bit out of my price range but I could save up. 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

3 hours ago, alphaproject said:

2 pin really doesn't help it OC it just helps the stability a bit. It still draws the same amount of power... no?

Why everyone is stating that having a single 8 pin connector is bad? From what I read half the people say it doesn't matter and half that it does.

For these Pascal cards I don't believe it makes much of a difference no matter if they claim it does based on overclocking results from many people.

The card seems nearly hard limited on air and even water cooled. LN2 guys might have gotten further but if I am not mistaken, it's more about the voltage regulation than what temp the CPU is at.  It seems nice to have a crazy 2 pin card with 10 phase power but I don't see what that will do for you in terms of actual gaming. It sounds like a marketing gimmick. All I hear is, "it has more stability" or stuff like that without detailed explanations. So who the heck knows.

i don't think it matters, 

unless you use custom bios and voltage