Please bring back code view

Misanthrope

Using the forums on a phone it's an exercise in frustration since if you try to quote someone you cannot delete it on a phone. It just cannot be done on Android since you can't right click the dialogue box to cut it or delete it. 

Not only that but it remains there even after navigating away. Having to clear cookies to get rid of a quote box is well, fucking stupid. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

I find quote boxes can even be a pain on PC.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Using the forums on a phone it's an exercise in frustration since if you try to quote someone you cannot delete it on a phone. It just cannot be done on Android since you can't right click the dialogue box to cut it or delete it. 

Not only that but it remains there even after navigating away. Having to clear cookies to get rid of a quote box is well, fucking stupid. 

Just add text above and below the box, highlight the text above, drag it down to highlight the text below and hit backspace and it should delete all the text and the box. Works for me. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

it's just broken.

Here's an average of how it works:

To delete the quote on a phone, tap the outside border and then delete. I know that if you tap in a quote to edit it. You can't tap out to write your reply.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

The editor keeping text after you close window/tab/browser is feature, not bug. It would annoy more people to remove it (after being one of the most requested features) than it annoys people now.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Spoiler

I was trying the text above and below and I can't click above. Meaning I need text in before clicking quote which defeats the purpose of correcting a misquote or changing one's mind. 

Is code view very difficult to implement or something? Seems like it shouldn't be. 

On 20/06/2016 at 10:49 AM, NumLock21 said:

To delete the quote on a phone, tap the outside border and then delete. I know that if you tap in a quote to edit it. You can't tap out to write  your reply.

No delete on swift key just backspace. Backspace won't delete it. 

On 20/06/2016 at 11:03 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

The editor keeping text after you close window/tab/browser is feature, not bug. It would annoy more people to remove it (after being one of the most requested features) than it annoys people now.

It wasn't a problem when I could throw the code switch and delete the [] quote brackets and such, henceforth I think  code view should return. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

No delete on swift key just backspace. Backspace won't delete it. 

I don't have delete key either, just backspace and it deletes. When you do a quote, there is that thick title bar, you have to tap on that, it's the area that shows the time and name of person you quoted. If that don't work, then tap on that + symbol on the corner.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

7 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I don't have delete key either, just backspace and it deletes. When you do a quote, there is that thick title bar, you have to tap on that, it's the area that shows the time and name of person you quoted. If that don't work, then tap on that + symbol on the corner.

I'm doing that, I HAVE TRIED FOR MINUTES exactly like that it just doesn't fucking works. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I'm doing that, I HAVE TRIED FOR MINUTES exactly like that it just doesn't fucking works. 

What browser are you using?

Try stock keyboard

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

7 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

What browser are you using?

Try stock keyboard

Chrome. Stock keyboard doesn't gets it either. Generic browser also has the issue (though I'm pretty sure it's chrome based too) 

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Chrome. Stock keyboard doesn't gets it either. Generic browser also has the issue (though I'm pretty sure it's chrome based too) 

I use Opera on my phone, try that.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

24 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

It wasn't a problem when I could throw the code switch and delete the [] quote brackets and such, henceforth I think  code view should return. 

Its more about saving post in cache so that if browser crashes or you accidentally close tab, text is still there. two different things. Save-feature could be disabled and still code view wouldn't be back. And visa versa.

On side note and just tested. I can remove quote on Firefox (Android). Just selecting quote (when selected you can see little + sign at top left corner) and clicking delete on GO keyboard I use instead of stock.

I have little annoyances with Firefox like that pasting link doesn't get inserted after cursor but rather somewhere in the middle of text. And while writing it selects random things on screen.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

46 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Is code view very difficult to implement or something? Seems like it shouldn't be. 

Trust me, it would have been implemented out the gate if it were easy.

I have made a number of suggestions/requests to the forum devs regarding improving the editor, but unfortunately they haven't acted on any of them yet, and I don't think it's necessarily likely that they will. I will keep trying though, because it is very annoying.

HTTP/2 203

As mortis has said before, apparently the devs of IP.Suite didn't really give a shit about the code viewer when they revised it.

I genuinely hope it can get implemented, as, yes, it's a pain in the ass to remove quotes on iOS, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

On 6/20/2016 at 9:49 AM, deWaardt said:

it's just broken.

Here's an average of how it works:

I see an E8400 in there..

:)

2cents: Quotes are RIP

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHZ
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GT 730

Attachcorethingy: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Infoholdstick: 4x2GB sticks

Computerarmor: Lenovo Case

Rememberdoogle: 2 250 Gig Drives

AdditionalPylons: Generic 300 Watt

Letterpad: Lenovo

Buttonrodent: Lenovo

Aural Interface: Sony

Liquidrectangles: 1 1600x900 Vizio TV

3 hours ago, jman116 said:

I see an E8400 in there..

:)

2cents: Quotes are RIP

Hehe

In the topic I was talking about the fact that I used Nutella as thermal paste for an E8400, just for the lulz, and it worked pretty good.

I know this is not easy, but I've all but stopped coming to the forums because of the new software. I'm not one of those people that freaks out about change then moves on, and normally I adapt. I tried to start re-skinning it to make it at least look easier to use but I gave up. I can say with 100% confidence I come here less because of it. Oh and the fact that off topic doesn't show in recent topics. I know it's to make it look better, but no threads get payed attention to there anymore unless they are the main big ones. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I know this is not easy, but I've all but stopped coming to the forums because of the new software. I'm not one of those people that freaks out about change then moves on, and normally I adapt. I tried to start re-skinning it to make it at least look easier to use but I gave up. I can say with 100% confidence I come here less because of it. Oh and the fact that off topic doesn't show in recent topics. I know it's to make it look better, but no threads get payed attention to there anymore unless they are the main big ones. 

Aside from the editor, which I am well aware is not optimal, and off topic being slightly less popular (it is a technology forum), is there anything else about the software that is making you not like it? I don't think you're the only person who feels that way, but if we did go back to the old software (which isn't possible anyway), I am fairly sure that there would be an order of magnitude more complaints about it, so I'm just trying to figure out what people feel has got worse between then and now, so that we can triage those issues and get them fixed.

HTTP/2 203