Router Parental Controls [ANSWERED]

LtStaffel

So I see routers advertising parental controls that can disable the internet for a device you set for a scheduled time. How does it do this? My best guess is it just stops giving internet access to the MAC of the device you specify, but maybe I'm completely wrong. Thoughts/knowledge?

edit because of answer: Mods if you see this, you can close it.

Thanks in advance

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

1 minute ago, LtStaffel said:

So I see routers advertising parental controls that can disable the internet for a device you set for a scheduled time. How does it do this? My best guess is it just stops giving internet access to the MAC of the device you specify, but maybe I'm completely wrong. Thoughts/knowledge?

Thanks in advance

More or less that's how it works. You can completely block certain MAC addresses or setup schedules for specific ones. Depending on the router, you can have specific sites blocked as well as time restrictions, or you can block certain ports (say you want to block p2p traffic from a certain MAC address) or a whole bunch of other things. It really just depends on your router/firmware.

I'm not a parent, but I was a kid once; so I know that if my parents enabled a parental control filter, I'd do everything in my power to get around it/break it. Not because I want to access 'bad' sites; but as sheer principal. So good luck...

10 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

Thanks in advance

My ASUS RT-AC1900 offers a "white-list/black-list" style of P.C. as well as a time monitoring option.  It allows me to say "Device X can only be on the computer for 2 hours a day, 5 days a week" and leave it at that.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

8 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

More or less that's how it works. You can completely block certain MAC addresses or setup schedules for specific ones. Depending on the router, you can have specific sites blocked as well as time restrictions, or you can block certain ports (say you want to block p2p traffic from a certain MAC address) or a whole bunch of other things. It really just depends on your router/firmware.

I'm not a parent, but I was a kid once; so I know that if my parents enabled a parental control filter, I'd do everything in my power to get around it/break it. Not because I want to access 'bad' sites; but as sheer principal. So good luck...

4 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

My ASUS RT-AC1900 offers a "white-list/black-list" style of P.C. as well as a time monitoring option.  It allows me to say "Device X can only be on the computer for 2 hours a day, 5 days a week" and leave it at that.

Thank you both, I think my question is answered :D

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.