Two gtx 970 or another card?

Sp34k

Hallo everyone, I currently have 1 gtx 970 but it's struggling with gaming at 4k so I though of buying another one.

Would you guys recommend 2x 970 or maybe a new card? What ultimately pushes me towards a 970 is the price :)

New card, 970 doesn't have the VRAM where SLI would make as much of a difference for 4k

That being said, 2nd hand 970s are dirt cheap atm, if you don't have the money for a heavy investment in a new card such as a 1080, SLI probably will be the most cost effective route.

Or selling the 970 and getting a 2nd hand 980ti

4 minutes ago, Sp34k said:

Hallo everyone, I currently have 1 gtx 970 but it's struggling with gaming at 4k so I though of buying another one.

Would you guys recommend 2x 970 or maybe a new card? What ultimately pushes me towards a 970 is the price :)

pick something budget)

Main rig aka "Spatra"

cpu :Amd athlon x2    gpu:Palit gt 640  hdd:some toshiba hard drive that might die soon озу :4 gb case:some case from delux with custom paint

phones:  main one philips s396 backup samsung sgh-d780

Just sell your 970 and get two RX 480s. They're faster than 970, draw less power = less heat & noise, and they're going to cost 199$. The 8GB version 229$ though. Also, crossfire scales better than SLI.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Doubt 2 970 would do much justice to 4K gaming, if you want all maxed out and near 60fps, because of the vram issue. 4K gobbles that like it's nothing, for some games even the 6GB of 980ti's vram is a struggle (e.g. mirror's edge catalyst). 

It will perform slightly better, but for proper 4K, pick a gpu that has more vram. 

6 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Just sell your 970 and get two RX 480s. They're faster than 970, draw less power = less heat & noise, and they're going to cost 199$. The 8GB version 229$ though. Also, crossfire scales better than SLI.

Why people can't stop yammering out these rumors. It's only based on a leaked synthetic benchmark. OP, wait until 29th to get actual data, not just ballooned speculations. If the game doesn't implement scaling well, it doesn't matter if it's CF or SLI, both will be crap. Single gpu (e.g. 229*2 = price of 1070) is always better. And the price depends on the location. I bet the 8GB version will start at 300€+ in EU. 

17 minutes ago, Sp34k said:

If you looking to game now just sell the GTX 970 and buy 2 r9 390x's when the rx cards come out since they will perform MUCH Better than 970 Sli because they have 8gb vram but dont forget some games will have horrible Crossfire support , stutters , ALLOT more heat , ALLOT more power usage , ALLOT more noise and of course bottlenecks so i would recommend to just sell the GTX 970 and buy a GTX 1080 since that has the performance of 2 GTX 980'S in SLI but wait for the aftermarket coolers to come and just pick the one you like or the one which is the cheapest (i recommend MSI)

My memories of a corpse,mind full of sick thoughts.

10 minutes ago, maremp said:

Why people can't stop yammering out these rumors. It's only based on a leaked synthetic benchmark. OP, wait until 29th to get actual data, not just ballooned speculations. If the game doesn't implement scaling well, it doesn't matter if it's CF or SLI, both will be crap. Single gpu (e.g. 229*2 = price of 1070) is always better. And the price depends on the location. I bet the 8GB version will start at 300€+ in EU. 

It will be better than GTX 970. 100%.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

You'd probably be better off selling your 970 and putting money towards a GTX 1070. The 1070 is about as powerful as a 970 in SLI.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

2 minutes ago, Suika said:

You'd probably be better off selling your 970 and putting money towards a GTX 1070. The 1070 is about as powerful as a 970 in SLI.

The GTX 1070 cant handle 4k unless you can bare with 30 fps the gtx 1080 should put up 40fps in the best case scenario 50fps but if you want to game at 4k high/ultra settings you need 1080's in SLI

2 minutes ago, Cripple [Crip] said:

The GTX 1070 cant handle 4k unless you can bare with 30 fps the gtx 1080 should put up 40fps in the best case scenario 50fps but if you want to game at 4k high/ultra settings you need 1080's in SLI

If the OP is already playing games at 4K with a single GTX 970, a 1070 would be a massive upgrade regardless.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

For 4k the 1080 is the only real choice right now. Nether SLI nor Crossfire work in all games. If it was me I'd drop down to 1440 and wait until Fall when the big cards hit.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

3 minutes ago, Suika said:

If the OP is already playing games at 4K with a single GTX 970, a 1070 would be a massive upgrade regardless.

He did not say he is playing at 4k he only said that it is struggling at 4k and he wants to upgrade so whats the best solution? sell the GTX 970 for sure and either get a GTX 1070 , GTX 1080 , RX 480'S in crossfire the GTX 1070 would be a upgrade but it would still struggle same for the GTX 1080 but a GTX 770 can run 4k GTA 5 , Fallout 4 etc... at the lowest possible settings so i assume the OP is planning to game at high settings but for that your either going for GTX 1080'S in SLI for 60fps or a single one for 35 fps

and rx 480 is better than 979 single gpu you can't buy 2x rx 480 and ofc u can't play at 4k that what i think or you can buy the 1080