Poor performance in Fallout 4

dima_

So I've been having some performance issues in Fallout 4 and I'm not sure what I can do or if I'm doing something wrong. Most of the time, especially in interior cells, I'm staying at my cap of 72fps but often times outside in the Commonwealth (oddly my performance is not as dodgy in Far Harbor, but the problem exists in some areas there too) if I look in the wrong place I dip to the 30's and 40's. I'm not running an ENB or texture mods, save for Vivid Fallout that makes trees and rocks look better. I also recently tried Optimized Vanilla Textures, to no avail. I have all of the graphics cranked at 1080p save for godrays which are off and shadow distance which I set in the .ini to be between ultra and high. I'm running two 980s and a 4670k 4GHz. Is SLI not supported or something? What can I do to make this game playable?

(OOC) [Legend] Vladimir Makaroni: is smelling meth with my new oculus rift a valid reason to warrant a meth lab

My specs are in my signature, and since the recent beta update, I've too had FPS issues, tried altering the AA/AF settings, lowering godrays, and switching off screen space reflections.  In the end, I still get lower frame rates when in some indoor areas, and outdoors.  Strangely just like yourself Far Harbour runs sweet.

(Offtopic: Did you pick that username before Far Harbour was released LOL? )

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

1 minute ago, Kierax said:

My specs are in my signature, and since the recent beta update, I've too had FPS issues, tried altering the AA/AF settings, lowering godrays, and switching off screen space reflections.  In the end, I still get lower frame rates when in some indoor areas, and outdoors.  Strangely just like yourself Far Harbour runs sweet.

(Offtopic: Did you pick that username before Far Harbour was released LOL? )

Damn maybe it's not my fault then. That gives me some consolation.

And yes I did, I keep getting called a Fallout fanboy and I hate my life

(OOC) [Legend] Vladimir Makaroni: is smelling meth with my new oculus rift a valid reason to warrant a meth lab

I think its more of a game problem. Performance is fine in some areas but some places are horrendous performance, like in dense cities when you get high up; even when there isnt much going on graphically my performance can tank to 15-20 FPS (even with things like godrays turned off).

Try running the game without SLI and just one 980, maybe its your SLI?

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

1 minute ago, suchamoneypit said:

I think its more of a game problem. Performance is fine in some areas but some places are horrendous performance, like in dense cities when you get high up; even when there isnt much going on graphically my performance can tank to 15-20 FPS (even with things like godrays turned off).

Try running the game without SLI and just one 980, maybe its your SLI?

Yeh I'll try that and report back. I thought this game played nice with SLI tho.

1 minute ago, dima_ said:

Yeh I'll try that and report back. I thought this game played nice with SLI tho.

It might, I never looked into how F4 handles SLI, but by checking it you can be sure it isn't a problem and move on to troubleshooting other things.

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

2 minutes ago, RaspberryPiFan said:

Rig? Full specs.

its on his profile

0508baafed.png

2 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

its on his profile

0508baafed.png

Lol thanks I was just about to post and ya beat me to it

Quick edit also the game is on the Samsung 850 evo 500gb ssd

6 minutes ago, RaspberryPiFan said:

Try disabling SLI.

Performance is still abysmal.

1 minute ago, dima_ said:

Performance is still abysmal.

You are driving 3 monitors, that might have something to do with it.

3 minutes ago, RaspberryPiFan said:

Not really. Those are all different monitors with different resolutions so surround gaming is not really possible. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

4 minutes ago, RaspberryPiFan said:

1 minute ago, trag1c said:

Not really. Those are all different monitors with different resolutions so surround gaming is not really possible. 

What trag1c said. I game on the BenQ, the Asus is my secondary monitor that I have monitoring software/streams/whatever on, and the Vizio is a TV I have on the other side of my room that I sometimes use a controller with and bring up Steam Big Picture on.

I think it's time to give up and accept that Fallout 4 was a generally trash release in the first place

Godrays and Shadow Distance need a huge amount of Power. Set both to middle should give you enough FPS boost and the Game does not realy look worse.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2016 at 6:20 PM, Praesi said:

Godrays and Shadow Distance need a huge amount of Power. Set both to middle should give you enough FPS boost and the Game does not realy look worse.

Extremely late, but I have godrays off and shadow distance on normal, performance still struggles. I gave up.

Lower shadow distance to low or medium. Fallout 4 has a big problem with shadow distance creating a draw call bottleneck for some reason. I jumped from 30 and 40 fps in cities to far beyond 70 and 80 just by changing that one setting everything else as high as it would go.

-------

Current Rig

-------