32GB ram not working on Formula VIII but 16 does?

Go to solution Solved by Sintezza,
4 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

When I plugged them in at standard settings, 2133mhz they wouldn't post to BIOS so no luck there. I just checked the BIOS version and it is actually 3 versions old lol So I will update it now and reset settings again and try the 4 sticks at 2133mhz again.

That will be last resort, i don't mind testing for an hour or two before coming to a conclusion like that. BIOS needs updating as I said to sintezza above so will try that and see if it helps.

Yes please update the bios firstly.

If after the bios update your system still refuses to boot with those 4 sticks in at stock 2133mhz.

Then rma the motherboard.

Because at stock 2133mhz it simply should work with all 4 slots populated right :)

Hey guys,

I have the Asus Maximus Formula VIII motherboard that I only just purchased, as well as a new set of Corsair Dominator platinum ram sticks.

The motherboard is dual channel, but the ram I bought comes in 4 sticks of 8GB each running at 3200mhz (XMP). When I put 1 or 2 sticks, pc boots fine and works well.

However with 4 sticks in, it just sits on black screen upon boot. Any ideas?

RAM Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017RZ7ZD0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Motherboard: https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-VIII-FORMULA/

Thanks

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Your OS might be stopping it, tbh I don't know, my friend's build has 32GB of RAM but he can only use 16GB due to his OS. 

Not gonna be os if it doesn't even post....

Have you tried each stick in each slot and tried to boot? do they all work?

Possibly voltage.. try a little bump up for the extra capacity (4 sticks vs 2) I've seen this work in the past., 

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

6 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Your OS might be stopping it, tbh I don't know, my friend's build has 32GB of RAM but he can only use 16GB due to his OS. 

Doesn't get to the OS for that to be a problem, also pretty sure windows 10 pro 64x supports up to 2TB of ram.

http://www.groovypost.com/news/windows-10-memory-limit-2-tb/

2 minutes ago, Dzzope said:

Possibly voltage.. try a little bump up for the extra capacity (4 sticks vs 2) I've seen this work in the past., 

I've tried each stick individually and in pairs of 2 and they work fine and hit XMP at 3200mhz. Really weird this... never had this issue before with having 4 sticks on a dual channel motherboard.

1 minute ago, iiNNeX said:

Doesn't get to the OS for that to be a problem, also pretty sure windows 10 pro 64x supports up to 2TB of ram.

I've tried each stick individually and in pairs of 2 and they work fine and hit XMP at 3200mhz. Really weird this... never had this issue before with having 4 sticks on a dual channel motherboard.

5 minutes ago, Dzzope said:

Was just a thought :c

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Some times the profiles don't stick try manually setting the voltage. I had to do that personally and set the timings but I got it to boot when I bumped the voltage.

11 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

Try manually setting the voltage, timings and clockspeed and slowly clock down until it works.

49 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

Hey guys,

I have the Asus Maximus Formula VIII motherboard that I only just purchased, as well as a new set of Corsair Dominator platinum ram sticks.

The motherboard is dual channel, but the ram I bought comes in 4 sticks of 8GB each running at 3200mhz (XMP). When I put 1 or 2 sticks, pc boots fine and works well.

However with 4 sticks in, it just sits on black screen upon boot. Any ideas?

RAM Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017RZ7ZD0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Motherboard: https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-VIII-FORMULA/

Thanks

Just curious what bios is the board running? If setting the memory timings manually doesn't work check the bios version.

I7 5820k, Asus X99 Sabertooth, 980Ti Classified, 32gb Gskill Ripjaws 4, Corsair Rm1000i, Samsung 950 Pro, Custom Loop Xspc Cpu Block Ek Gpu Block, Windows 10, Define S. Acer Predator XB271HU

- Put 2 sticks in and disable XMP.

- Set them to stock 2133mhz.

- shut the system down and put those other 2 sticks in.

- Try if it posts then.

- If it does post and recoginize all 4 sticks as it should at 2133mhz.

Then you can slowly start to tweak the ram speed and timing settings until it fails to boot.

At that point you know how far you can go with 4 sticks on stock settings, without toutching any additional voltages like SA.

Then you can start tweaking with that.

Because that you are able to boot with 2 sticks on its xmp 3200mhz, doesnt mean that the system will boot with 4 sticks at 3200mhz.

1 hour ago, Sintezza said:

- Put 2 sticks in and disable XMP.

- Set them to stock 2133mhz.

- shut the system down and put those other 2 sticks in.

- Try if it posts then.

- If it does post and recoginize all 4 sticks as it should at 2133mhz.

Then you can slowly start to tweak the ram speed and timing settings until it fails to boot.

At that point you know how far you can go with 4 sticks on stock settings, without toutching any additional voltages like SA.

Then you can start tweaking with that.

Because that you are able to boot with 2 sticks on its xmp 3200mhz, doesnt mean that the system will boot with 4 sticks at 3200mhz.

Is this an IMC thing?  The controller is failing to support four sticks at those specs?

14 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Is this an IMC thing?  The controller is failing to support four sticks at those specs?

That could be very likely the case yes.

49 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

That could be very likely the case yes.

so then I might as well return the 4 sticks and get 2x 16gb 3200mhz instead ? 

This is odd though my previous mobo, the Hero VIII had 4x Gskill sticks at 4gb each and 3000mhz. Booted no problem without any voltage changes at stock settings and XMP worked like a charm. 

Going to check BIOS for updates now, also noticed that if i put 1 stick in each slot the system boots fine apart from when that 1 stick is in the third slot. Then it sits on black screen while all my peripherals load as normal (RGB keyboard and what not) , however the motherboard Q code error at the top right says "40".

Weird

edit: same thing happens if there is 1 stick in the 4th slot too. 1st and 2nd slot work fine with 1 stick each.

I've now populated 2nd and 4th slot as per motherboard recommendation with a stick each and have manually set them to 2133 while disabling xmp. Going to test a few things and update bios if necessary, then try all 4 again.

Install your old G.Skill sticks and see if all 4 of them will boot. Yes, then it might be your new ram. No and it does the same thing. then it might be the board. Do you still have that Hero board?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

Install your old G.Skill sticks and see if all 4 of them will boot. Yes, then it might be your new ram. No and it does the same thing. then it might be the board.

I don't have them anymore, I sold the old motherboard and ram back before I bought these. It might be the board you are right, I ll see what BIOS version it is and if there is an update. The board only just came out as well, not too long ago so this is odd.

2 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

I don't have them anymore, I sold the old motherboard and ram back before I bought these. It might be the board you are right, I ll see what BIOS version it is and if there is an update. The board only just came out as well, not too long ago so this is odd.

Bought it from a shop? Then take it back and have them test it out. The other way is to buy a extremely cheap 1151 cpu and test it with that or borrow one from your friend or try your rams on your friend's computer.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Bought it from a shop? Then take it back and have them test it out. The other way is to buy a extremely cheap 1151 cpu and test it with that or borrow one from your friend or try your rams on your friend's computer.

Online shop yeah, and I can't take it back that will take forever haha might as well return it at that point and get a refund or buy another. I don't see why I need another CPU, my CPU is the same 6700k from my other PC and it works flawlessly, it's either the board or the ram and I will get around to finding out which after a few more tests i'm sure. 

I don't have a friend that can lend me such hardware i'm afraid so that's out of the question too.

Well in terms of VRM implementation the Maximus VIII Hero and Formula are pretty much the same.

But yeah diffrent ram sticks and diffrent motherboard, you can allways end with diffrent results.

What happens if you trow those 4 sticks at 3000mhz?

With similar settings as you had on your hero?

2 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

Online shop yeah, and I can't take it back that will take forever haha might as well return it at that point and get a refund or buy another. I don't see why I need another CPU, my CPU is the same 6700k from my other PC and it works flawlessly, it's either the board or the ram and I will get around to finding out which after a few more tests i'm sure. 

I don't have a friend that can lend me such hardware i'm afraid so that's out of the question too.

don't waste anymore time testing. Just return it and buy new one.

Reset bios and just install the 4 sticks and see if it boots, no XMP or any setting changes.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

2 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Well in terms of VRM implementation the Maximus VIII Hero and Formula are pretty much the same.

But yeah diffrent ram sticks and diffrent motherboard, you can allways end with diffrent results.

What happens if you trow those 4 sticks at 3000mhz?

With simlar settings as you had on your hero?

When I plugged them in at standard settings, 2133mhz they wouldn't post to BIOS so no luck there. I just checked the BIOS version and it is actually 3 versions old lol So I will update it now and reset settings again and try the 4 sticks at 2133mhz again.

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

don't waste anymore time testing. Just return it and buy new one.

That will be last resort, i don't mind testing for an hour or two before coming to a conclusion like that. BIOS needs updating as I said to sintezza above so will try that and see if it helps.

4 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

If after the bios update your system still refuses to boot with those 4 sticks in at stock 2133mhz.

Because at stock 2133mhz it simply should work with all 4 slots populated right :)

9 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

If after the bios update you system still refuses to booth with those 4 sticks in at stock 2133mhz.

BIOS Updated sorted everything.

32gb at 3200mhz XMP on and CPU at 4.65ghz at 1.35v all stable and running well.

I've left Prime 95 on for a bit to see if anything fucks up. Thanks for your help bro.

5 hours ago, iiNNeX said:

BIOS Updated sorted everything.

32gb at 3200mhz XMP on and CPU at 4.65ghz at 1.35v all stable and running well.

I've left Prime 95 on for a bit to see if anything fucks up. Thanks for your help bro.

Thats great news. :D