Can I paint the entire mobo with spray paint?

jusxusfanatic

So yea I have a Asus b150m Plus and I want to paint it entirely white using spray paint, will it be ok? Thanks! :)

(NOT GONNA PAINT THE CPU SOCKET)

woopwoop

I believe that any header, pci-e slot, ect would need to be covered. If something is supposed to conduct through it you dont want paint on it

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

2 minutes ago, SnipeYa said:

Short answer, no.

You'll need to cover most of it, but you can paint some. Linus did it.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

"Can I paint the entire mobo with spray paint?"

This leads me to believe they mean the pcb, not just some bits and bobs like linus did. And the fact that they are asking makes me think it probably won't turn out as good as they are expecting.

When I was younger I did stuff like this, It's almost always disappointing. BUT if you have a spare board that if you break it you wont be upset give it a go.

1 minute ago, SnipeYa said:

This leads me to believe they mean the pcb, not just some bits and bobs like linus did. And the fact that they are asking makes me think it probably won't turn out as good as they are expecting.

When I was younger I did stuff like this, It's almost always disappointing. BUT if you have a spare board that if you break it you wont be upset give it a go.

Yep. Try finding some paint that doesn't contain metals if you can, idk if that even exists. You'll probably kill it either way TBH.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

Yea I know. I'm gonna cover the pci-e and ram slots PLUS the cpu socket. Will that be ok then? :)

woopwoop

21 minutes ago, SnipeYa said:

ive seen only one person do that before

as long as you use some non-conductive paint that doesnt melt at 100C it should be ok

just dont do it on an expensive motherboard, cause it has a chance of dying

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, jusxusfanatic said:

Yea I know. I'm gonna cover the pci-e and ram slots PLUS the cpu socket. Will that be ok then? :)

You will most likely kill it or completely make it unusable, if the mobo doesn't mean much to you then go ahead.

3 hours ago, KSores said:

Someone on the foroum here plasti dipped a entire mobo

Pcb and all

Damn 

woopwoop

16 hours ago, jusxusfanatic said:

So yea I have a Asus b150m Plus and I want to paint it entirely white using spray paint, will it be ok? Thanks! :)

The question is not if you can, but if you should. 

Then the answer would be no. 

12 hours ago, jusxusfanatic said:

-SNIP-

As mentioned it's not recommended especially since paint is fairly aggressive at etching and biting in to promote adhesion to surfaces but however risky I have seen it done before with success. I would say as long as you don't mind the potential for purchasing another motherboard then I guess then you can give it a go, plasti-dip is also another option that was brought up and will also work relatively well. 

There is a build log on here that Enz0man actually did paint it>>>

[spoiler=Blue^3http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/388528-blue3/ I5 4690k | Asrock Z97 Pro4 mATX | RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Blue Edition and Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Black Edition | GPU: XFX DD R9 390x | PSU: Corsair AX760 | SSD: Samsung 840- 120GB | Hard Drives: 2x1TB WD Blue | Watercooling Kit: XSPC Raystorm 240 

On 6/14/2016 at 11:50 PM, Spork829 said:

Yes, Linus did paint a motherboard, but the United Republic of Motherboards has started putting out wanted posters on him, too.

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 8:45 PM, jusxusfanatic said:

Provided the paint in non-conductive, and you cover all the sockets and connectors, I don't see why not.

However, I would strongly advise against this and just buy a new mobo in the color you want

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

16 hours ago, UberGamerKing said:

Provided the paint in non-conductive, and you cover all the sockets and connectors, I don't see why not.

However, I would strongly advise against this and just buy a new mobo in the color you want

I know! But it's hard to find a matx/mitx white mobo

woopwoop