Star Trek for Oculus

Qrtrmstr2k
3 hours ago, ADM-Ntek said:

really? that is interesting i was expecting the opposite since you are so much closer.

7 minutes ago, spwath said:

Pretty cool. But graphics dont look too good.

And it seems like all ooculus/vive games are still limited now.

A monitor is a lot more crisp to look at whereas the optics in a VR headset have a bit of a screen door effect that hides some defects (this doesn't take away anything from the experience though). With this in mind, you can make a little sacrifice in graphical quality in favor of smoother performance (something that has a much larger impact to immersion). That plus you are more immersed in what is going on around you. In my experience so far, even a demo with seemingly crude graphics can feel more realistic in VR than something that is "photorealistic" but viewed on a monitor. It's tough to describe.

to add to above post.

basically even though the Vive and Rift have higher resolutions than most monitors, those pixels are spread across almost your entire field of vision. So the pixels per degree in your field of vision is lower than a traditional monitor which sits 2-3 feet in front of you and just acts as a little window into another world taking up a small part of your field of vision. What sells in VR is the immersion and sense of presence/ scale, not the graphics.

vive and rift could have addressed this by giving us 4k per eye. But no current GPU is going to drive that at 90fps so they had to compromise. As GPU power increases future headsets will scale up resolution.

what I have noticed on my vive is that the kind of graphics which look good are the stuff with good quality assets but not too cluttered. The lab looks good. when I play project cars it doesn't look good and there are aliasing issues with things like fences in the distance because it's hard to resolve those details on the horizon without the pixel density.

6 hours ago, Centurius said:

I really hope they're going to make this work over the web. The multiple people in the same room experience is great and all but I imagine for most people the group of friends that likes Star Trek and can afford VR and lives in the same area is very small. 

Yeah I was hoping the same thing...some type of ingame voip system or letting players log in and use TeamSpeak and set up teams that way...cause I am not about to buy 4 VR headsets to play this and if that is Ubisofts intent, that's just dumb.

In fact, it would be simple to do if they have an online mode (and frankly, I can't imagine them not having one) and players being encouraged to play with whoever they partner with like a company like TeamSpeak, Mummble or Ventrilo for voicechat. I've used those while playing MMO's like WoW and Star Trek Online and Warhammer and stuff. Not sure how that would work with Oculus but with Vive I could slide my headset over the Vive and talk and have ingame sound and voice sounds. It's all gonna come down to what Ubisoft does here, how they implement this. They have to know that forcing an in person multiplayer game wouldn't sell well. Died long ago were the days when we called up friends to come over to play games...I mean, I think the last LAN party I went to was 12 years ago or something like that...

6 hours ago, Humbug said:

to add to above post.

basically even though the Vive and Rift have higher resolutions than most monitors, those pixels are spread across almost your entire field of vision. So the pixels per degree in your field of vision is lower than a traditional monitor which sits 2-3 feet in front of you and just acts as a little window into another world taking up a small part of your field of vision. What sells in VR is the immersion and sense of presence/ scale, not the graphics.

vive and rift could have addressed this by giving us 4k per eye. But no current GPU is going to drive that at 90fps so they had to compromise. As GPU power increases future headsets will scale up resolution.

what I have noticed on my vive is that the kind of graphics which look good are the stuff with good quality assets but not too cluttered. The lab looks good. when I play project cars it doesn't look good and there are aliasing issues with things like fences in the distance because it's hard to resolve those details on the horizon without the pixel density.

Totally agree. I've noticed the same thing on my Oculus. In fact I find some of the simpler experiences to be the most immersive (such as the apollo 11 experience). Anything that breaks that sense of presence or scale though can be pretty jarring.

Yea looked really shitty, but the idea is fantastic and definately a long term idea. 

Vrmmorpgs? Sao? 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

On 14 de junio de 2016 at 8:05 PM, SansVarnic said:

Epic because it is StarTrek. 

I don't have a VR device though and I know I wont be getting one either (because of the wife) so I guess I will find a corner somewhere and have me a cry . . . :(

*edit they need to add a Star Wars now. Imagine VR lightsabers ... mmmm.

What does the wife have anything to do with it?

21 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

Thanks, don't know why I made that assumption.  Think after seeing Bethesda specifically call out HTC vive during their E3 event, I'm starting to see battle lines being drawn everywhere.

So then the only serious question left is:

Which cast member would play Star Trek VR with?  Levar Burton, or Jeri Ryan?

#TeamLevar Read to me baby!

Jeri Ryan. 110%

Although I'd rather play with T'Pol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Great... and here come the Trekkies... bleh!

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

10 hours ago, OptimisticRealist said:

What does the wife have anything to do with it?

I will take it your not married...

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

13 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

I will take it your not married...

Pussies, stand up for your passions!

Look for supplementary sources of income!

If not a Corvette C7, than a BMW M2!

There are always solutions.

I am in a serious relationship so I know about compromise, but I am an Entrepreneur with financial freedom. Be creative, make an app, profit with added free time.

10 hours ago, OptimisticRealist said:

Pussies, stand up for your passions!

Look for supplementary sources of income!

If not a Corvette C7, than a BMW M2!

There are always solutions.

I am in a serious relationship so I know about compromise, but I am an Entrepreneur with financial freedom. Be creative, make an app, profit with added free time.

Married with 5 children I have better priorities at the moment. :|

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

14 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Not having a heavy sharp angled object thrown at your head by the significant other in rage after dropping 1k+ to play games one of them?

11 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Not having a heavy sharp angled object thrown at your head by the significant other in rage after dropping 1k+ to play games one of them?

Exactly. Happy wife is a happy life.

(Besides I have better things to spend that on, I am personally building a new house, it is slower doing it all myself but I enjoy it)

Edited by SansVarnic

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Holy crap...why 5???

On 6/17/2016 at 11:46 PM, OptimisticRealist said:

Holy crap...why 5???

Why not?

Is this a real question?

I stopped at 5 because I didn't want 6...  /s

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

7 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Why not?

Is this a real question?

I stopped at 5 because I didn't want 6...  /s

Of course it is a real question! Why not???

because of tons of less money, tons of less free time, tons of more worrying, higher chances of something happening to a child/imperfect births/ will dilution, etccc.

seriously curios of why wanting 5!!

i can see the pro of having your own army but still...

11 hours ago, OptimisticRealist said:

Of course it is a real question! Why not???

because of tons of less money, tons of less free time, tons of more worrying, higher chances of something happening to a child/imperfect births/ will dilution, etccc.

seriously curios of why wanting 5!!

i can see the pro of having your own army but still...

Besides taking this thread way off topic...

5 kids was not initially planned but that is what I have, I see no difference in having 5 vs 3 or 2 as after 3 its all easy and downhill as far I have experienced.

My wife and I both come from large families and neither of us have issues with having a large family ourselves.

As for the points you made, financial, time, worrying, etc.. that is always the case no mater if you have 1 or 20 children is come with the territory of being a parent. If you were to focus only such things you would miss out on so very much. Being a parent is an awesome experience and I enjoy my children greatly. I spend a great deal of my free time with them whenever I can. Children bring a certain (lack of a better word) wonderment and joy to my life. I get to enjoy childhood all over again with each of my children and I get to play with toys ... ^_^ Getting to enjoy each stage of their life and there are many many stages, brings a whole new layer of understanding about my own life in the process.

Not sure why you are reacting in such a way, I think you are looking it from the wrong perspective. 5 children is not a big deal (at least to me) but large families are not for every one.

I have 4 girls and 1 boy and not in that order. I cherish each one the same. xD

If you wish to continue asking me about this, you may PM me so as we are no longer derailing this post. ;)

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

14 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Besides taking this thread way off topic...

5 kids was not initially planned but that is what I have, I see no difference in having 5 vs 3 or 2 as after 3 its all easy and downhill as far I have experienced.

My wife and I both come from large families and neither of us have issues with having a large family ourselves.

As for the points you made, financial, time, worrying, etc.. that is always the case no mater if you have 1 or 20 children is come with the territory of being a parent. If you were to focus only such things you would miss out on so very much. Being a parent is an awesome experience and I enjoy my children greatly. I spend a great deal of my free time with them whenever I can. Children bring a certain (lack of a better word) wonderment and joy to my life. I get to enjoy childhood all over again with each of my children and I get to play with toys ... ^_^ Getting to enjoy each stage of their life and there are many many stages, brings a whole new layer of understanding about my own life in the process.

Not sure why you are reacting in such a way, I think you are looking it from the wrong perspective. 5 children is not a big deal (at least to me) but large families are not for every one.

I have 4 girls and 1 boy and not in that order. I cherish each one the same. xD

If you wish to continue asking me about this, you may PM me so as we are no longer derailing this post. ;)

I definitely plan on having children, but always thought 2 max. For example, if I have 2, I can give, for sake on an example, X free time a d spend X money on them, if I were to having more than those X amount would be smaller. I am sure you have figured it out though.

As for the reaction, I think it was pretty normal, considering that many people in LTT forums fight for free time

to enjoy tech and games. Im sure that for every time you mention that you have 5 kids, many of those mentions are received with a "Wow!". 

But yeah, cheers!