4GB vs 8GB RX 480 for 1080p?

Now, I am not asking which one is faster, I am mainly asking if there are games that use more than 4GB of GDDR5 in 1080p. Games I am interested in:
Shadow of Mordor, Rainbow six Siege, Witcher 3, Dragon age: Inquisition, Crysis 3, Far Cry 4&Primal, Ashes of the Singularity, thief, metro and others. Any of those that use more than 4GB in ultra settings? If so, do you think it would be worth going for 8GB?

I have a Fury Nitro and an FX 8320E. Screw my life?

Can't really say anything about vram usage in those specific games but from a couple Rise of the Tomb Raider benchmarks I gathered it already uses more than 4GB of VRAM.

And since the price difference is arguably small, I'd just go for the 8GB version.

Better be safe than sorry.

EDIT: + you never know how much vram will upcoming titles use.

I would definitely recommend getting the 8Gb version, as it doesn't really cost that much more. I know games like Ark Survival are greedy bastards when it comes to VRAM, so I would recommend the 8Gb

2 minutes ago, IskanderEXC said:

I would definitely recommend getting the 8Gb version, as it doesn't really cost that much more. I know games like Ark Survival are greedy bastards when it comes to VRAM, so I would recommend the 8Gb

In Greece the difference is at least 80 euros if the leaked prices are legit including the seller's profit as well.

2 minutes ago, thatguyyouknow75 said:

1080p did just fine with 2, its a safe bet 4 is overkill let alone 8

Well that is totally untrue, you can check some benchmarks on AAA titles that will confirm it.

I have GTX 760 2GB model and I am unable to use higher graphical settings in GTA V because I run out of vram.

2 minutes ago, Phoenix721 said:

In Greece the difference is at least 80 euros if the leaked prices are legit including the seller's profit as well.

Where did you find those prices? I thought they will be only like 30-40 euros apart.

Really depends on the difference in price.

I am getting the 4GB version most likely though. I would say for just 1080p, 4GB should be enough for some time to come.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

Really? In the US it is only 40$ if what I saw is correct. Anyway, I would go for the 4Gb version if you know for a fact that what you will be playing will be fine without the VRAM

the price doesn't seem like it will be far apart, if it's no more than $20~$30 and you can't get a better performing card for the price, then go 8GB version

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

the price doesn't seem like it will be far apart, if it's no more than $20~$30 and you can't get a better performing card for the price, then go 8GB version

It is at LEAST 57 euros in Greece, at least 80 if I include the seller's profits.

It is at LEAST 57 euros in Greece, at least 80 if I include the seller's profits.

the question is can you get a better performing card for that money?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

4 minutes ago, Totalimus said:

Well that is totally untrue, you can check some benchmarks on AAA titles that will confirm it.

I have GTX 760 2GB model and I am unable to use higher graphical settings in GTA V because I run out of vram.

Is it the vram or the lower end chips that come with lower vram cards? 

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

the question is can you get a better performing card for that money?

Hell no. Nothing better for 220-270.

11 minutes ago, thatguyyouknow75 said:

1080p did just fine with 2, its a safe bet 4 is overkill let alone 8

this is dated advice....... you got the "did" part right. I would get more than 4 if it were available.

I should have created a poll, kind of hard to determine is 4 is good enough.

8GB is for VR usage really. 

However some games like Shadow of mordor can use up to 6GB if u maxit out (480 wont max out all games at least not with MSAA).

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

1 minute ago, Thony said:

However some games like Shadow of mordor can use up to 6GB if u maxit out (480 wont max out all games).

But the fury was maxing it out at 4k with 4GB. Albeit, HBM but still, maxed out at 4 freaking K.

I should have created a poll, kind of hard to determine is 4 is good enough.

4 is good enough until it isn't. no matter what, there's always an exception. why not buy something that will get you further down the road?

1 minute ago, LabRat said:

4 is good enough until it isn't. no matter what, there's always an exception. why not buy something that will get you further down the road?

I want the 480 as a momentary solution, I plan to buy a Vega card for 4k next year.

4 minutes ago, Thony said:

However some games like Shadow of mordor can use up to 6GB if u maxit out (480 wont max out all games).

If you have that much memory, Shadow of Mordor will fill it with …something… but it doesn't seem to complain whatsoever if you "only" have 4 GB. It plays just fine at 1080p and Ultra details + the ultra texture pack with 2014's 4 GB cards. Not all of the data a game fills a frame buffer with is equally crucial to the gameplay experience.

At least as of right now, 4 GB of memory is plenty. Usually even at 4K.

Get the 8gb verion of you can, better safe than sorry.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

Get the 8gb verion of you can, better safe than sorry.

I would, but the price difference is significant enough to actually matter.

3 minutes ago, Phoenix721 said:

I want the 480 as a momentary solution, I plan to buy a Vega card for 4k next year.

Well if that's the case then you will be fine.

There aren't that many titles which require more than 4GB to run at ultra settings.

And besides, if you do run into a game which is vram hungry just turn down the graphic setting down a bit and it should work well.

1 minute ago, Phoenix721 said:

Hell no. Nothing better for 220-270.

Is it worth it? I don't know. Is it, maybe? I don't know. I don't think anyone knows, but the point is that at the end of the day it's your money and you have to decide what to do with it.