LTT makes the cut...

Qrtrmstr2k

So this is a bit off topic but I felt the need to start this thread.

I don't know about most of you but when I view (and/or subscribe to a channel) I am doing it specifically for the mind set of viewing content under which their focused. So Linus Tech Tips for example, that's something I view for tech, all things tech...

Now I have noticed a lot of channels stray from their venue from time to time, and occasionally I will go for the ride...I figure that "hey, even I run out of ideas.." So I can appreciate a VLOG style video every once in a while, like everyone else.

But there is a limit. And even this channel has really pushed it a couple of times...what am I referring to? Well, politics for example.

I get it. I'm an American, and we hardly do anything without the world taking notice...and yes, this election cycle is a bit more intense than most. And as an American that firmly believes in the constitution, and in the past, has taken an oath to support and defend it from all enemies, I believe that EVERYONE has rights, whether you're American or not. So in that, I believe that everyone has a right to have an opinion about politics, candidates, who they favor etc etc...

However, if I wanted to talk, discuss, or review anything related to politics, I would go to a political commentator channel...so naturally I am not gonna search "Linus tech political views" or some nonsense like that...the channel isn't based on a political format. (Bare in mind I am using politics as an example but it's not just limited to politics) 

So as this election cycle has heated up, especially with the defeat of Sanders, and having our two big party candidates selected, the real war of words has begun...and naturally we can expect both sides to fire off shots until that special day in Novemeber when we take to the polls again to select the next leader of the free world.

So why...WHY do some content creators feel it necessary to start hopping on either sides bandwagon and trash the other candidate? Didn't ever occur to content creators that we come to their channel to get AWAY from that bullsh**!?!?! Even what would be considered "mainstream" entertainment media is controlled by one side of the other.....only here on YouTube and in the forums can we escape this and just focus on something that we enjoy, that we can get advice, or input or even inspiration without all the drama....

I mean, am I crazy? Is it just me that enjoys outlets like LMG as a kind of escapism, where there are no sides, no politics, no gay or straight or any of that...where we all are just enthusiasts that share a common interest? 

Needless to say, enthusiast channels I was enjoying for some content similar to LTT, that was about hardware and builds and even inspiration (though never quite inspired my builds quite as much LTT has) have really started pushing their views onto their viewers...and I may even agree with them, but I don't go there for that content...I don't want to listen to it or talk about it...it's just not why I'm there...

And it's not just frustrating, but it saddens me a bit, that I felt I had no other choice but to unsub their channel because they wouldn't stop. So I'm just curious, do you mind hearing a content creator sneak in, or just blatantly push their views into their content, especially like on channels like LTT for example, that have nothing to do with, or should have absolutely nothing to do with politics? Or do you just ignore it? Or do you unsub (even if it's a temp unsub until, like the election is over with for example?) Do you want content creators to stick to the platform (at least on like a tech channel for example, they can start a different channel but that is a different channel and obviously they can make that a platform for politics or whatever) where do you draw the line as a viewer? 

I'm genuinely curious, as I just unsub'd from several channels this past week due to this behavior.

That was good. I like how you managed to bitch and blow your own trumpet, very nice.

No, content creators get carte blanche because they're sitting on the pointy end of the upload button. If you don't like it, you have all the prerogative of unsubscribing and making noise about how betrayed you feel.

YouTube is a platform for anybody to upload anything (within guidelines) to share. By its nature, it isn't beholden to any real programming guidelines and the lack of major sponsorship on most channels lets hosts be loose lipped with impunity. Maybe you should switch to some Aussie tech channels or something? Get away from anybody who cares about your elections... "I get it. I'm an American, and we hardly do anything without the world taking notice..." is hardly the case.

So you're complaining about the times they talked about politics on the WAN Show? I mean, the topic comes up, when you have an article saying how search results may be altered in favour or a candidate.. The story was pretty interesting, but a good response from Google say it was not the case.

I don't really get why you talk about the vlog content anyways, when you are going to complain about the subject matter of a small portion of a livestream/podcast.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

VOTE FOR TRUMP!

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

Guys, he is just trying to find out if others feel the way he does.

No, I do not feel that way.  If a video I am watching goes in a direction that is uninteresting, I change the video.  I learned something from all those years with the TV clicker.

On the subject of politics, I quite like seeing what people think and why.  It helps me understand the hosts intelligence in a way.  Do they just shoot off a bunch of sound bytes they heard on the news?  Do they use a developing insight to make an argument that I have not thought of before?  Do they just crack jokes to let their viewers know they have their ear to the ground but wish to leave politics to those that follow politics better?

Politics affects our every day lives, whether we know it or not.  Wanting to escape from politics leads me to think you feel you are uniformed about some aspect of your country's political system for some reason:  access to the truth; laziness to care enough to investigate; strongly opinionated people around you that you do not agree with; something else.

I soak up policy news from every country on a daily basis, been that way for a loooong time.  I can never go back to not knowing because I don't feel like it.  I always feel like it.

Like today:  The unexpected was a line of evidence that promotes the idea that Clinton and the DNC "rigged" the system to an unlawful degree.  Some outlets made some damn good arguments.

To keep it light:  Sanders filled stadiums of people at rallies in CA.  He had over 100K at one of them.  Clinton filled classrooms.  This is just to "wet the whistle" so to speak.  There is an actual lawyer group with, what they believe to be, enough evidence to begin litigation.  The problem is that even if what they suspect is true, the hill they must climb might be way to steep to get to their goal.

Anyways, don't get frustrated over nothing.:)

On another note though. I live in Norway and I don't give a rats ass about whatever happens in the US as long as a certain someone don't become president. I do however feel like American's need to get their head out of their asses "Leader of the free world" The president is the president over the US of ASS, and sure he or she will sit on alot of power, but, if the President was the leader of the free world, we would not still have a monarchy and prime minister in Norway, Sweden would not have their king and the queen on England would be nothing but the queen on nothing. Leader of the free wold is a term that honestly annoys me, just like how it annoys me when Americans go "The greatest country in the wold, the united states of America" I mean, take a long hard look at yourself, the fact that Trump has gotten this far in the election only goes to show how truly awful it is of a country. Trump is a mad man, on the level with so many other crazy, crazy people, the only think he lacks is IQ. Make America great again? Obama has been the best president in years upon years. Now Trump is walking along and the fact that he can become president is as outrageous as Dan Blizzeran running for president next election...

But again, if a content creator decides to talk about politics, it is he's opinion and possibly his downfall, I just get some popcorn and enjoy the show.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

25 minutes ago, Clonzoo said:

On another note though. I live in Norway and I don't give a rats ass about whatever happens in the US as long as a certain someone don't become president. I do however feel like American's need to get their head out of their asses "Leader of the free world" The president is the president over the US of ASS, and sure he or she will sit on alot of power, but, if the President was the leader of the free world, we would not still have a monarchy and prime minister in Norway, Sweden would not have their king and the queen on England would be nothing but the queen on nothing. Leader of the free wold is a term that honestly annoys me, just like how it annoys me when Americans go "The greatest country in the wold, the united states of America" I mean, take a long hard look at yourself, the fact that Trump has gotten this far in the election only goes to show how truly awful it is of a country. Trump is a mad man, on the level with so many other crazy, crazy people, the only think he lacks is IQ. Make America great again? Obama has been the best president in years upon years. Now Trump is walking along and the fact that he can become president is as outrageous as Dan Blizzeran running for president next election...

But again, if a content creator decides to talk about politics, it is he's opinion and possibly his downfall, I just get some popcorn and enjoy the show.

But Obama is the devil. @Clonzoo

Trump is not that much of a surprise.  It is the republican party that is the real political joke.  Trump is just a shitty person with name recognition.

The democrats are the new right wing.  Mostly "corporatist" underneath their rhetoric.  Almost all of them bible thump when they feel it will be effective (not Sanders of course).  They talk more shit than truth.

The real liberals, or progressives, have been taking it up the ass for a long time.

The republicans?  lol they are on a one way trip to the sun.  The Right-Wing core in the USA has left the realm of anything real in this universe.  I really find it hilarious that people ignore why Trump took the crown.  I did not want to see it, but hey, I won't ignore it.  Crazy shit going on in dem parts of the world.  There is a big enough layer of political ignorance in the population of the USA to allow someone that knows little to nothing about diplomacy, law or economics to run for president:

I think Trump has some really good policy ideas.

Like WHAT?  I have heard this over and over, even in this tech forum.

I agree with OP about the politics. It doesn't bother me enough to unsubscribe to anyone, but I'm less interested in people's political opinions than I am what they ate for dinner last night lol. That's just me though.

I personally am pretty interested in people's political opinions, and LMG doesn't seem to push it that much, especially on non-WAN series. That's my opinion though. There's a difference between giving your opinion and being a full-on political commentator. 

10 hours ago, Qrtrmstr2k said:

I think you're massively over reacting. LTT really doesn't talk about politics very often, and when they do it's either satire or necessary to a piece of tech news.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

To clarify, I actually said LTT and LMG in general has been pretty good about steering clear of the politics. Again, politics were just an example...I could have just as easily said "if suddenly we're getting back to back to back VLOG videos about nothing, things like I out this supercharger on my scooter today...." I will admit I did choose politics because for most of us here in the states, and especially for those of us in large markets, we get inundated with politics at election time...we can't get away from it, they are calling our houses (even if we registered on the do not call registry) it's in our feeds, emails, every commercial break, I mean it's really annoying that we get it rammed down our throats all day long every day, and the last week prior to Election Day, they really ramp up the noise.

I am sincerely curious about how people feel, where they draw the line, if it's enough to make you unsub a creators channel or do you just ignore it or what...do you use YouTube as a way to escape into something more enjoyable and prefer all of the other ketchup and mustard be left out? Do you not pay attention to it? How do various people look at it. 

I very much appreciated. those who took this seriously, and I am also interested in those responses from outside the states. Someone posted about both not being from here and not caring at all, and that makes sense. I was a little shocked that people from around the world even know who the candidates are, generally we don't pay that much attention to elections outside of the states..and another response about how you are from the states and you just change videos without unsubbing...that's all, that's exactly the types of answers I am looking for and I appreciate those that did respond in kind.

There was no need for trolling, there are no dig on Linus or his company here, it's a simple question, if you don't have anything constructive or helpful to respond with, I'd prefer you not respond.