1080p144hz TN or 1440p60hz IPS?

redness

Getting a GTX 1070 soon and from what I've seen it can do the above monitors justice in terms of performance. Which would you recommend to me?

I play all kinds of games but mostly singleplayer games. I still do play the occasional competitive FPS but still mostly singleplayer games.

I hear 144hz was meant for competitive FPS, would it be a waste to get it for SP games over resolution?

2 minutes ago, IskanderEXC said:

Go for 1440

Will I not enjoy the sweet smooth butter feel of a 144hz monitor?

8 minutes ago, redness said:

not as much as you will enjoy the crispy feel of 1440p goodness. What games exactly do you play?

1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

not as much as you will enjoy the crispy feel of 1440p goodness. What games exactly do you play?

Currently: Total War, Hearthstone, Fallout 4, Skyrim, Vermintide.

Future: GTA V, Battlefield 1, Dawn of War 3, Street Fighter V

From the top of my head.

Its very much up to you.

I recently moved from 1080P 60hz -> 1440P 144hz (165hz overclocked)

Honestly, I really don't see that much point in 1440P unless you have some productivity in mind. I do not see that much improvements in visual, but I do notice a HUGE hit on performance. Unlike what a lot of people are saying, I say 1080P higher setting is better than 1440P lower setting. Though, 1440P is very awesome when you have to have two windows open side by side, so it is awesome when it comes to productivity).

144hz is the actual thing that is more felt from day to day usage in both gaming. I don't know how I have lived without 100+hz monitor up until now.

3 minutes ago, StormEye said:

Its very much up to you.

I recently moved from 1080P 60hz -> 1440P 144hz (165hz overclocked)

Honestly, I really don't see that much point in 1440P unless you have some productivity in mind. I do not see that much improvements in visual, but I do notice a HUGE hit on performance. Unlike what a lot of people are saying, I say 1080P higher setting is better than 1440P lower setting. Though, 1440P is very awesome when you have to have two windows open side by side, so it is awesome when it comes to productivity).

144hz is the actual thing that is more felt from day to day usage in both gaming. I don't know how I have lived without 100+hz monitor up until now.

You're making me lean more towards 1080p144hz dood.

Do you not have faith that my future GTX 1070 will not be able to max stuff at 1440p?

1 minute ago, redness said:

Do you not have faith that my future GTX 1070 will not be able to max stuff at 1440p?

Max? As in absolutely maxing without compromise? (I know many people call it max setting when they compromise somewhere)

1440P 60hz? Probably yes, unless you are playing a game particularly unoptimized, like XCOM 2.

1440P 144hz? Most likely no, unless you are playing a game particularly optimized. Maybe CS:GO.

Both cases, I am assuming you want average FPS to be minimum 80fps and at least 100fps average.

1080P is easy for both 60hz and 144hz.

1 hour ago, redness said:

honestly the better resolution to the barely noticeable couple FPS is better.

I don't think resolution matters when you use something like freesync or g sync so personally I would take the IPS hi-rez over any refresh rate tn display. 

butter feeling is on both 144hz and synced refresh rates. 

As someone that has had both types of monitors side by side for the last year, I would recommend 1440p! When you play 1080p, pixelation will still be noticable, more noticable than playing games at 60hz (as you would on a 1440p monitor). Frankly, I prefer sometimes to even play competitively on BF4 with the 1440p monitor, due to just how much better things look. 

21 hours ago, redness said:

my 970sli has a hard time of keeping 144hz at max settings 1080p. 60/75 hz is likely the sweet spot for a 1070 at 1440p