Looking for 1440p G-SYNC monitor

Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,
2 minutes ago, LightningMachine said:

Yes, people are far louder about negative experiences that positive ones. Good point.

Is IPS that much better?

Well, I wouldn't say TN is the cancer of the monitor world, but I prefer it because in my situation, I have two monitors and off viewing color shifting really bothers me. But then again I have two TN monitors at work and I don't really seem to care.

Go hit up a brick and mortar store that has a selection of displays up on... display, it's really the only way you can figure this out for yourself.

Hi! I'm looking to buy a new monitor. In an ideal world I'd like a resolution of 1440p with IPS / 27" / 144hz and G-SYNC. When I look for a monitor that has all of these features I realize that it's incredibly expensive so it's incredibly important to me that I know what I'm getting into. I am willing to put down a lot of money for quality but so help me if it's not absolute quality. I always play games offline (DOOM, Metal Gear Solid V and the like). I'm sitting about 70 centimeters from the screen and I would be buying a new computer with a GTX1070 in order to support all those pretty pixels.

A bit of context: My current monitor is a BenQ FP222Wa, which is a TN monitor and I have been using monitors like these (TN / 60hz) for the past ten years. After doing a ton of research I discovered that people are experiencing constant issues with IPS monitors, even when they're coming right out of the box. Dead pixels, blacklight bleeding, IPS glow, G-Sync module not working, ... on every online shop I go to there's always an uncomfortable number of people who've had nightmares with these monitors, and that's simply a hassle I wish to avoid.

I want to ask people to share any kind of experience: be it technical problems, going from sub 1080p to 1440p, 144hz gaming, sitting distance from monitor, TN vs IPS (if the internet is to be believed, having a TN monitor is only slightly worse than having cancer) and G-Sync technology.

Just now, LightningMachine said:

personally im more a fan of 75hz freesync ips because its even cheaper than 144hz g-sync tn.

the rx480 with something like the lg 29um68-p (40-75hz) would make a great combination. but if your in the US you will probably only find the lg 29um67-p (48-75) for some reason.

but if the leaked benchmarks of the rx480 are anywhere near accurate you will stay above 60 anyways.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

I have an ASUS PG279 (1440p 144Hz GSYNC IPS monitor), it seems to work like a charm so far. People will write about their horror stories more than their successes.

I also really don't understand this IPS glow issue. I've been using IPS monitors since 2012 and I've yet to really notice this glow enough to be a bother. I have a feeling it's because people play predominantly dark content in predominantly dark rooms. I rarely ever play games in a dark room, because I dunno, I like to take care of my eyes.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I have an ASUS PG279 (1440p 144Hz GSYNC IPS monitor), it seems to work like a charm so far. People will write about their horror stories more than their successes.

Yes, people are far louder about negative experiences that positive ones. Good point.

Is IPS that much better?

18 minutes ago, LightningMachine said:

Dead pixels

in germany the standart for that is called "pixelfehlerklasse" which would be "pixel failure rating" or soemthing. All of the monitors people complayin about have a pixel failure class of 2. That means that up to 2 dead pixels are allowed on those without you being able to complain and in fact that is with most of the displays. The fact tha 1400p just has a lot more pixles thatn 1080p minigates the likely hood of getting a fully functional panel. I also heard about problems with yields and so on ...

if the internet is to be believed, having a TN monitor is only slightly worse than having cancer

I have 2 TN panels currently infront of me. One is really utter crap compared to the other one. The crap: BenQ GL2450. The good one: LG 24GM77-B
The point is that a bad TN is way worse than a good TN. If you are not moving around much in your chair adjusting your high position, or the position of your monitor then you should be pretty fine. From what I have read it seems the opposite. IPS is just way to expensive compared to the low benefits it offers over a TN panel. A PG278Q is 155€ more than a PG278Q

EDIT: Both my monitors are 1080p not 144p. the LG is 144Hz and the BenQ is 60Hz.

144hz gaming

Have you never gamed on a 144Hz monitor? It is a lot smotther than a 60Hz monitor. If I get a constant framrat I only really notice a difference up to 100fps. If I get fluctuation that is a different story so 144 down to 100 and up again is noticable but I see not real difference in between a stzable 100 or a stable 144. About tearing. My eyes notice tearing on 60Hz monitors but I have learned to largely ignore it and it bugs me way less than other people today however I can not notice any tearing effects on a 144Hz monitor since the pixels switch so fast.

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

People will write about their horror stories more than their successes.

That mostly is an issue amongst the internt and reviews in general. I also expect expectations (:P) to be higher on these high end models so omre complaints

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

2 minutes ago, LightningMachine said:

Is IPS that much better?

Well, I wouldn't say TN is the cancer of the monitor world, but I prefer it because in my situation, I have two monitors and off viewing color shifting really bothers me. But then again I have two TN monitors at work and I don't really seem to care.

Go hit up a brick and mortar store that has a selection of displays up on... display, it's really the only way you can figure this out for yourself.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Thank you for your input. 

Your advice would would indeed be the most logical solution, but the problem is that the nearest store that actually shows monitors running games is about 100 miles from where I live. There are tons of stores that have rows of monitors just sitting there, not plugged into a computer, but when I ask to have it be plugged into a gaming machine, it's always some herculean impossible feat.

1 minute ago, LightningMachine said:

Thank you for your input. 

Your advice would would indeed be the most logical solution, but the problem is that the nearest store that actually shows monitors running games is about 100 miles from where I live. There are tons of stores that have rows of monitors just sitting there, not plugged into a computer, but when I ask to have it be plugged into a gaming machine, it's always some herculean impossible feat.

I suppose you could make it a special trip then!

... I sometimes hit up an anime store that's 100 miles away. >_>

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

^_^ Well, I suppose I could, I'll see if I can do something about that.

The anime cons I go to are also that far away.

17 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

I have 2 TN panels currently infront of me. One is really utter crap compared to the other one. The crap: BenQ GL2450. The good one: LG 24GM77-B
The point is that a bad TN is way worse than a good TN. If you are not moving around much in your chair adjusting your high position, or the position of your monitor then you should be pretty fine. From what I have read it seems the opposite. IPS is just way to expensive compared to the low benefits it offers over a TN panel. A PG278Q is 155€ more than a PG278Q 

EDIT: Both my monitors are 1080p not 144p. the LG is 144Hz and the BenQ is 60Hz.

It really isn't as black / white as the internet makes it out to be and I honestly thought all TN panels were kind of the same, but it's good to hear that that's not the case. Acer, for example, has two monitors: the XB271HUAbmiprz and the XB271HUbmiprz. The difference between them is the type of panel: the first is a TN, the other an IPS. The other difference is that the IPS-panel is 100EUR more expensive, for something that might not be all that impressive and might have more/quicker defects.

17 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Have you never gamed on a 144Hz monitor? It is a lot smotther than a 60Hz monitor. If I get a constant framrat I only really notice a difference up to 100fps. If I get fluctuation that is a different story so 144 down to 100 and up again is noticable but I see not real difference in between a stzable 100 or a stable 144. About tearing. My eyes notice tearing on 60Hz monitors but I have learned to largely ignore it and it bugs me way less than other people today however I can not notice any tearing effects on a 144Hz monitor since the pixels switch so fast.

I have never played a game on a 144hz monitor, but to compensate for tearing and stuttering, I would pick a screen with the G-SYNC technology. That way I'm cutting off all possible problems.

1 hour ago, LightningMachine said:

I have never played a game on a 144hz monitor, but to compensate for tearing and stuttering, I would pick a screen with the G-SYNC technology. That way I'm cutting off all possible problems.

I have forgotten to quote on that. Since I feel it is a non issue I feel really torn if G-Sync is really necessary and also hence all the gibber jabber about added lag because of fucked up software. LTT has a video in which they compare different seeting and their measured lag. I am still confident that this might close the gap between stable 144+ and 80-144 fluctuation even farther - a gap that is for my standarts not even that wide compared to 60-->80. Well, people online also suggested being a bitch and ordering in your case for example the PG278Q AND the PG279Q at once and comparing. Or you could compare G-Sync an non G-Sync with a MG278Q and PG278Q but I just feel like ordering 2 to RETUNR AT LEAST ONE is a dickmove but everyone is allowed to have their own opinion. Just my take on this. Hope I could help you.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

24 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

I have forgotten to quote on that. Since I feel it is a non issue I feel really torn if G-Sync is really necessary and also hence all the gibber jabber about added lag because of fucked up software. LTT has a video in which they compare different seeting and their measured lag. I am still confident that this might close the gap between stable 144+ and 80-144 fluctuation even farther - a gap that is for my standarts not even that wide compared to 60-->80. 

Doesn't this test kind of speak for itself in terms of fluctuating framerates? 

http://www.testufo.com/#test=stutter&demo=gsync

21 hours ago, LightningMachine said:

Doesn't this test kind of speak for itself in terms of fluctuating framerates? 

http://www.testufo.com/#test=stutter&demo=gsync

Didn't know that one. Kinda cool but since I never saw a G-Sync display live I can'T comment on how realistic the effect is.

3.Use

G-Sync & Freesync input lag is non-issue, unless you are able to see and catch real bullets at close proximity.

As for how useful the frame matching feature is, it all depends on your personal preference.

For me, I will not settle for any monitor that does not have 100+hz refresh rate & frame matching feature if I have to buy another monitor.

20 hours ago, StormEye said:

G-Sync & Freesync input lag is non-issue, unless you are able to see and catch real bullets at close proximity.

As for how useful the frame matching feature is, it all depends on your personal preference.

For me, I will not settle for any monitor that does not have 100+hz refresh rate & frame matching feature if I have to buy another monitor.

Thanks for your input! Do you have an opinion on either IPS or TN... ?

8 hours ago, LightningMachine said:

Thanks for your input! Do you have an opinion on either IPS or TN... ?

IPS is good, but TN is not bad opposed to what people exaggerate it to be. Especially, if you are just gaming and not doing any colour sensitive production work.

What you need to watch out for is the Input Lag.

This is very VERY different from Response Time that the manufacturer advertises.

For example, when comparing ASUS PG278Q vs PG279Q (TN vs IPS), despite they are 1ms vs 4ms response time, PG279Q's IPS panel has slightly less overall Input Lag compared to the TN monitor. Obviously this is not always the case, so you need to research for each monitor you have in mind.

Generally IPS panel is more expensive than TN panel, but as long as you can afford it, IPS does look nicer. But, do have in mind that IPS does indeed have more Ghosting than TN, and depending on which monitor you get, the result is more significant.

16 hours ago, StormEye said:

IPS is good, but TN is not bad opposed to what people exaggerate it to be. Especially, if you are just gaming and not doing any colour sensitive production work.

What you need to watch out for is the Input Lag.

This is very VERY different from Response Time that the manufacturer advertises.

For example, when comparing ASUS PG278Q vs PG279Q (TN vs IPS), despite they are 1ms vs 4ms response time, PG279Q's IPS panel has slightly less overall Input Lag compared to the TN monitor. Obviously this is not always the case, so you need to research for each monitor you have in mind.

Generally IPS panel is more expensive than TN panel, but as long as you can afford it, IPS does look nicer. But, do have in mind that IPS does indeed have more Ghosting than TN, and depending on which monitor you get, the result is more significant.

Thank you so much for your input (no pun intended) and I'm actually pretty happy to discover that TN is indeed not AS world-changing as IPS monitors are, and judging from DisplayLag, the monitor I'm looking for has a pretty good reputation of not having too much input lag. Thanks!

On 12-6-2016 at 6:47 PM, M.Yurizaki said:

Welp, I went out there to do the test. I obviously couldn't bring my own monitor along with me but I was given the opportunity to see the Acer XB271HUB (IPS) next to the Acer XZ350CU, which is a 35 inch VA monitor. As I understand it, VA is only slightly better than TN.

vkPiT9r.jpg

The tests we ran on both monitors were Nvidia Faceworks, Heaven 4.0, SuperSonic Sled and a little demo movie with images of nature, like the ones you find in a store that sells TV's. The IPS monitor looked great on it's own. It had zero IPS glow, BLB or dead pixels. It looked like a perfect, straight out of the box monitor. The VA one also looked like a really nice piece of equipment. But then we did the test, and I have to say, I was quite amazed. 

The difference was, in short, night and day. When talking purely of "how does this image compare to this image?" everything was simply better. Colors didn't look washed out, they were much more vibrant and warm. Two instances I can immediately bring up off the top of my head were the following: the shack in the SuperSonic Sled demo (speaks for itself) and a logo. When we loaded up the movie there was a logo at the very beginning and the difference between both screens was so stark that we had to stop and rewind because on the VA panel there was this ugly block of greyish black surrounding the logo while the IPS monitor gave us an absolute, true black. It was as if the VA panel was trying it's hardest to simulate black while the IPS panel did so without effort. It was so odd to see the output of the exact same file to be so different. 

However, the test I did only proves for certain that this specific IPS monitor I saw was much better when compared to that specific VA monitor. As GER_T4IGA already pointed out in this thread: there are bad TN's and there are good TN's, and I believe it's the same with all panel types. It may be true when many people say that TN isn't as good as IPS, but I think I got extremely lucky when it comes to my own personal monitor because the colors and viewing angles are still really good for a 9-year old monitor (as I've said before, I own a TN BenQ FP222Wa). Perhaps I'm horribly wrong and when I put my screen next to the XB271HUB I could be blown away for a second time. The SuperSonic Sled demo seems to be the most effective for the comparison because of the quick change in environments and steady camera. What I do know for certain is that I'm not going to throw rocks at TN just because of what I saw today. Both are valid choices for different people.

In the end, this first world "problem" will come down to how much disposable income you have and how much you want to pay for top of the line hardware in current computer technology. The TN panel costs about 700EUR, while the IPS costs 800EUR. If somebody is seriously considering paying 700 for a computer monitor, then would paying 100 more be that much of a stretch? I think that's the most important thing to think about, because I do have the underlying feeling that the XB271HUB is way better than my monitor, but I simply lack a direct comparison. The guy in the store even offered to put it away in the original box for me until I decide I want to purchase it, so that I would have a perfect monitor without any defects. 

I have the BenQ xl2411T, and i think its color performance is far superior to the likes of the other TN panels out there. I have had quite a few TN panels, and i can tell you that BenQ has so good color performance, that it wont bother you at all.

I have ordered a Asus pg279Q, and will test it against the BenQ. But from other IPS panels i have seen, i have not been impressed with the color performance versus the BenQ TN.

The asus 278Q i think is bs TN quality. It does not have the color spark, or accuracy of the BenQ in my opinion. I can give you a headsup when i get my pg279Q(which i get on monday). For now, the BenQ xl series is by far the best TN panels i have seen, and easily challenge the IPS panels.

Intel Core i7 6700K@4,3GHz - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 - Evga SuperNova 750W PSU - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD - Gainward GTX 1080 GS - BenQ xl2411T 144hz - Cooler Master Haf-X Big Tower Nvidia Edition

7 hours ago, Crusader93 said:

I have the BenQ xl2411T, and i think its color performance is far superior to the likes of the other TN panels out there. I have had quite a few TN panels, and i can tell you that BenQ has so good color performance, that it wont bother you at all.

I have ordered a Asus pg279Q, and will test it against the BenQ. But from other IPS panels i have seen, i have not been impressed with the color performance versus the BenQ TN.

The asus 278Q i think is bs TN quality. It does not have the color spark, or accuracy of the BenQ in my opinion. I can give you a headsup when i get my pg279Q(which i get on monday). For now, the BenQ xl series is by far the best TN panels i have seen, and easily challenge the IPS panels.

Yes, I'd love to hear your opinion. I'm still very weirded out how well my old TN monitor can produce colors. 

On 19.6.2016 at 8:43 AM, LightningMachine said:

Yes, I'd love to hear your opinion. I'm still very weirded out how well my old TN monitor can produce colors. 

I have now tested the Asus pg279Q. My first sentence is this: What kind of overpriced shit is this?

First of all, in my opinion the IPS vs TN(in the gaming panel market) is pure bullshit. The best TN panels(Asus pg278Q and Dell s2716dg) is just as good! I really do have a hard time seeing the difference! IPS have a long way yet to go to become any better than a TN panel, AND it has 4ms vs TN's 1ms. And when the IPS cant even outmatch the best TN panels in color, what is so much better then? Thats right, nothing.

All the reviewers that have given this a thousand thumbs up, have been paid to do it. Zero doubt!

Not only is the Price steep, but it also has tons of BLB and IPS glow. My sample had lots of that, even half a year after its release. Asus QC really is shit.

Now, as i finally have tested all the top gaming screens, i will in 100% of the time say that the BenQ xl screens have the best image quality on the market in gaming screens today. Because its true.

Everyone that says otherwise, have not tested the BenQ side by side with for example the asus pg279Q. But i have!

Buy the BenQ xl2411Z, i will return this overpriced shit, and advice all others to stop buying this.

Intel Core i7 6700K@4,3GHz - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 - Evga SuperNova 750W PSU - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD - Gainward GTX 1080 GS - BenQ xl2411T 144hz - Cooler Master Haf-X Big Tower Nvidia Edition

On 20-6-2016 at 3:39 PM, Crusader93 said:

I have now tested the Asus pg279Q. My first sentence is this: What kind of overpriced shit is this?

First of all, in my opinion the IPS vs TN(in the gaming panel market) is pure bullshit. The best TN panels(Asus pg278Q and Dell s2716dg) is just as good! I really do have a hard time seeing the difference! IPS have a long way yet to go to become any better than a TN panel, AND it has 4ms vs TN's 1ms. And when the IPS cant even outmatch the best TN panels in color, what is so much better then? Thats right, nothing.

All the reviewers that have given this a thousand thumbs up, have been paid to do it. Zero doubt!

Not only is the Price steep, but it also has tons of BLB and IPS glow. My sample had lots of that, even half a year after its release. Asus QC really is shit.

Now, as i finally have tested all the top gaming screens, i will in 100% of the time say that the BenQ xl screens have the best image quality on the market in gaming screens today. Because its true.

Everyone that says otherwise, have not tested the BenQ side by side with for example the asus pg279Q. But i have!

Buy the BenQ xl2411Z, i will return this overpriced shit, and advice all others to stop buying this.

It's the first time I'm hearing a strong opinion against using/buying IPS. A lot of people recommended IPS even with the glow or BLB (or both). Because IPS, I guess. Or perhaps they didn't want to feel like they spent so much money on something that only works for 50%. It's the old Nintendo vs. Sega argument. 

I will say this, though. I still stand by what I said on my previous post, when I went to compare the XB271HU with another VA monitor (which was the XZ350CUbmijphz, which is well liked among buyers). The difference was just so... jarring. I'm obviously not saying that you're wrong, but just that this is how I experienced it. I think that the fact that the build quality of the particular monitor that I went to see has a lot to do with my impression of it. It was just perfect: it had no IPS glow, there wasn't any kind of BLB or dead pixels. 

But I do believe that, when it comes to TN panels, BenQ is probably the best at what they do. They look like very simple, straightforward monitors, but in terms of build quality and image output their products are pretty impressive. There are bad TN's and then there are good TN's, and I think BenQ makes the BEST TN's, and I wonder how it stacks up to my own ancient little monitor.

It's a lottery, and a very expensive one at that. Hypothetically speaking, even if the IPS on the XB271HU isn't that impressive, I'll still make good use of the extra space I'll have on my desktop, extra pixels, 144hz and G-SYNC, which basically makes futureproofing PC's much easier.

1 hour ago, LightningMachine said:

It's the first time I'm hearing a strong opinion against using/buying IPS. A lot of people recommended IPS even with the glow or BLB (or both). Because IPS, I guess. Or perhaps they didn't want to feel like they spent so much money on something that only works for 50%. It's the old Nintendo vs. Sega argument. 

I will say this, though. I still stand by what I said on my previous post, when I went to compare the XB271HU with another VA monitor (which was the XZ350CUbmijphz, which is well liked among buyers). The difference was just so... jarring. I'm obviously not saying that you're wrong, but just that this is how I experienced it. I think that the fact that the build quality of the particular monitor that I went to see has a lot to do with my impression of it. It was just perfect: it had no IPS glow, there wasn't any kind of BLB or dead pixels. 

But I do believe that, when it comes to TN panels, BenQ is probably the best at what they do. They look like very simple, straightforward monitors, but in terms of build quality and image output their products are pretty impressive. There are bad TN's and then there are good TN's, and I think BenQ makes the BEST TN's, and I wonder how it stacks up to my own ancient little monitor.

It's a lottery, and a very expensive one at that. Hypothetically speaking, even if the IPS on the XB271HU isn't that impressive, I'll still make good use of the extra space I'll have on my desktop, extra pixels, 144hz and G-SYNC, which basically makes futureproofing PC's much easier.

The only reason i advice not to get the PG279Q(and the acer ones, since its the same image quality), is that its a total rip-off. It costs way more than its worth, and its image quality(i tried calibration profiles from tftcentral, tomshardware and many more) is just not any better than a benQ screen that costs half the price. If its any better, its very marginally. Not only that, but have you seen th QC of those screens? Most likely you have to live with tons of BLB and Glow, at the cost of 800dollars. Its fraud!

And, the best TN monitors look just as good at this "ips" version. I have had them all, and i really had a hard time seeing any difference. Maybe just a little color spark difference in the ips model, but it was so maginally low that i wouldnt even pay 100 dollars extra for it.

Another bullshit excuse people have to pick this ips model over the TN, is the view angles. You know what, i have to turn my head serious lengths to even notice color change on a TN panel, so unless you sit in a very unnormal way(not infront of the screen, as you are supposed to do) maybe there is something to it. If you use a TN or an IPS like a normal human being, this is the most bullshit excuse in existence right now.

If you compared those screens in a store, you should not believe it. Stores(or stores that advertises for asus or other gaming things) are very good at making a product look flawless. The only way you can know for sure, is taking it home testing it.

Also remember that g-sync is the most overhyped thing i have seen in ages. If you maintain 100fps+, you dont even notice it. Even framedrops is by no means gone, and feels just as horrible as it does without g-sync. Freesync does not cost anything, but Nvidia is still charging big bucks for their same tech. Its not a gamechanger, and everyone who says otherwise, comes from a 60hz monitor. 60-144hz is the big change, but many thinks its because of g-sync. If you have had a 144hz monitor, you will not be "wowed" by a 144hz g-sync monitor, specially if you maintain over 100fps. Point being that you should not throw Money to Nvidia for their bullshit. If you drop below 100fps in a game, you will notice it, and it will annoy you with or without g-sync. I have had 4 g-sync screens now, and i can tell you that its not worth its cost. I would pick freesync any day, if Amd shows muscles.

1440P on a 27inch looks almost the same as 1080P on a 24inch. It just taxes way more gpu horsepower, and makes you have to keep spending very much money on hardware to maintain good fps. And honestly, i found 27inch to be kinda big for many games. In my opinion its better to buy a 1080P 24inch monitor and wait for 4K 144hz monitors to appear. And buy that when the gpu's is able to handle 4K. The difference between 1080P and 1440P all depends on screen size, rather than resolution itself.

Asus and Acer are not after happy customers. They are after your wallet. You pay for a monitor that does not by any means make you a better player, give you a better image than cheaper models, or even have a good QC control. Paying 800dollars for a lottery ticket, is horrible.

And, there is no future proofing in the gaming world. New games with more demands comes, and your hardware gets outdated, no matter what you do or buy. If you buy a 144hz g-sync 1440P montor today, new one will come at the same price tag, that has for example 240hz 1440P g-sync v3. You have to buy when you need, not to guard yourself for future events. Its just not possible in the gaming market.

I strongly advice you not to spend that amount of cash on shit. What you get for 800 dollars, is actual SHIT(okay, not SHIT, but at that price its very close to shit.). You should buy a BenQ screen, you get awesome image quality, that is just as good as the Asus/Acer shit(i call it shit, because its a market rip-off). But benQ knows what they are doing, unlike asus or acer(just take a look at amazon customer reviews).

But ofc, you do as you please. But i assure you, everyone that makes the choice of spending this amount on those acer and asus screens, have not tried the MUCH cheaper competition. Placing my xl2411T side by side with the pg279q made me depressed, that such an expensive monitor couldnt beat my 3yr old benQ. Buying the most expensive screens that are out today, is a mistake.

All the reviewers thjat have made those the "king" of gaming monitors, got paid to say so. Or they simply dont know what they are talking about. As long as they set "gaming" tags all over it, markets it as the best gaming monitor in existence, people lose the ability to think straight, and just buy it. Funny, but at the same time a disaster.

The choice is yours, but your hard earned(i guess? xD) money is better spent elsewhere. A benQ xl2411Z and a 1070 for example? or an amd card, your preference.

Much better investment than buying ONE screen that is barely any better than the XL alone.