I am THIS close to purchasing a founder's card..

I am THIS close to purchasing nVidia's Founder's card from their website. I'm getting so antsy for these aftermarket cooler cards, but I can't seem to find them anywhere brick and mortar or online! The only ones I've found are on Amazon and they're ridiculously priced at $1000+ USD. No way, Jose! I'm specifically looking for EVGA's ACX 3.0 Gaming Edition card. Yes, I know. It's the same exact PCB, clock speed and all with the only difference being the cooler. The main reason why I want to get it because I've always found it so easy to find water blocks for reference cards. The Founder's price for me is ( + California tax rate of 0.09%) approximately $770, give or take. I always round up because I always try to have more money than needed. The EVGA ACX 3.0 Gaming Edition card is about $680. I'm teetering between waiting or just buying the reference. Perhaps, the many wonderful people at the LTT forums will help me?

just wait for 1080 ti or new Titan, it will be faster for 20-30% and just for 800+$( titan - 1k$) 

I just pre-ordered my 1080 Strix from Scan.co.uk

Estimated stock on 17th June, so should be at my house on the 18th assuming they send it out same day as I paid for next day delivery. Buzzing!!

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

Just a bit of patience. Wait a bit for better availability and therefore price stabilization, don't buy melting jet engine edition. 

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6900K 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: X99 Sabertooth | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti SLi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3400 CL13 | SSD: SX8200 PRO 512GB | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Case: InWin 805C | Monitor: LG 38UC99-W 85Hz | Keyboard: Wooting One Analog | Keypad: Azeron Compact Analog | Mouse: Swiftpoint Z | Audio: Klipsch Reference 5.1

best option:

wait for linus to do a showdown for the new amd 480 and 1080's and pick the one which is the best! ;)

3 minutes ago, liquidmagma said:

best option:

wait for linus to do a showdown for the new amd 480 and 1080's and pick the one which is the best! ;)

ummm wtf rx 480 ain't competing in the high end market, 1080 is high end market. Though price/performance the rx480 might end up slaughtering donkeys...

1 minute ago, Flowey said:

might end up slaughtering donkeys...

omfg best joke!

1 minute ago, Flowey said:

ummm wtf rx 480 ain't competing in the high end market, 1080 is high end market. Though price/performance the rx480 might end up slaughtering donkeys...

but still wait for linus to solve the problem!

22 minutes ago, Tedol said:

just wait for 1080 ti or new Titan, it will be faster for 20-30% and just for 800+$( titan - 1k$) 

If such a thing exists or will ever exist, it likely won't be a year until they're available.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

38 minutes ago, Tedol said:

Dont be silly and follow this guys advice.

When the 1080ti is out you would be a fool to buy it, the 1180 will be right around the corner.

But dont buy that, the 1180 ti will be out soon after and be a huge performance leap.

Oh man but don't buy that, the 1280 would be a huge leap over the 1180ti, and by then youll have the general 3 tier in the hierarchy rule going for you.

59 minutes ago, TankyTev said:

I am THIS close to purchasing nVidia's Founder's card from their website. I'm getting so antsy for these aftermarket cooler cards, but I can't seem to find them anywhere brick and mortar or online! The only ones I've found are on Amazon and they're ridiculously priced at $1000+ USD. No way, Jose! I'm specifically looking for EVGA's ACX 3.0 Gaming Edition card. Yes, I know. It's the same exact PCB, clock speed and all with the only difference being the cooler. The main reason why I want to get it because I've always found it so easy to find water blocks for reference cards. The Founder's price for me is ( + California tax rate of 0.09%) approximately $770, give or take. I always round up because I always try to have more money than needed. The EVGA ACX 3.0 Gaming Edition card is about $680. I'm teetering between waiting or just buying the reference. Perhaps, the many wonderful people at the LTT forums will help me?

Do not buy the reference card. Don't jump the gun. Think about it, do you REALLY need a 1080 RIGHT now? Just wait for the EVGA card to be in stock and save 100$ for a better cooling card. EVGA also has their 3 month upgrade promo where you can upgrade your card whenever within the first 3 months. They will give you the original price of your card, which is insane and a really good promo. 

The founders edition cards are finally in stock, after what 2-3 weeks of being out of stock? They only came out end of last month. How long do you think the partner cards will be before they are in stock like the FE cards are? More than likely a few weeks maybe a month. You don't need a card so badly to get an FE edition, but even if you do its not actually a bad card and cooler especially if you just increase its temperature limit or increase the fan speed a little to keep it cooler and boost higher.

1 hour ago, liquidmagma said:

best option:

the 1080 will wipe the floor with the rx 480 they are far from the same category lol

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

Do you have some pressing urgent need to have the 1080 NOW? What GPU do you currently use? At worst it might be a few weeks before they show up for sale online at their regular price. I would never buy a reference card unless I had a case with like no airflow or I got an insanely good deal on one.

Does anyone know why they call the reference 1080 "founders" version? Obviously its a marketing gimmick, but I don't really understand the name.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

4 hours ago, Tuturu said:

Do not buy the reference card. Don't jump the gun. Think about it, do you REALLY need a 1080 RIGHT now? Just wait for the EVGA card to be in stock and save 100$ for a better cooling card. EVGA also has their 3 month upgrade promo where you can upgrade your card whenever within the first 3 months. They will give you the original price of your card, which is insane and a really good promo. 

You're right. Besides the folks that are arguing about the 480, all of you are right. I shouldn't jump the gun. I have a 780 right now but it's starting to crap out on me. It still functions fine but it's beginning to show signs of age like random FPS jumps from 30-40 fps to 5-10 fps while playing DOOM, despite the fact that I do monthly maintenance on it. I'm just super antsy about the new 1080. I didn't want to get the 980 because it wasn't a new GPU family, so I waited and saved for the new one. Now that it's here, I guess I should calm my tits, hold out, and wait. I have the money. I just need to have the patience.  

1080 has a bottleneck past 2Ghz, and reference 1080's should hit that without needing the fan ramped up. Supply and demand is a beeyotch though, so patience is unfortunately a virtue here. I unfortunately had no patience and bought a FE 1070 here before price gouging started (not counting the FE price gouging), but if you really want that extra 1-2% performance and cheaper than FE prices, you're gonna have to wait a while. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

3 hours ago, maizenblue said:

Does anyone know why they call the reference 1080 "founders" version? Obviously its a marketing gimmick, but I don't really understand the name.

I would imagine because Nvidia are the designer of the graphic chip, so therefore they are the founders, and their reference card is the founders edition (aside from it being an obvious marketing ploy, like you say).

Definition: 

founder - a person who manufactures articles of cast metal; the owner or operator of a foundry.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

6 hours ago, Tedol said:

Not to be mean but

Everybody is saying: "Wait for this,Wait for that" I mean why don't we just wait 20 years and then buy the newest card because it will be 300% faster than the gtx 1080. OP hasn't even mentioned which GPU he has, maybe he has a gtx 680 or a 690 so why would he have to wait. If he needs a new GPU then he can get a 1080 and not wait for the Ti or wait 20 more years so he can get an even faster card.

1 hour ago, joeydutchman said:

Not to be mean but

Everybody is saying: "Wait for this,Wait for that" I mean why don't we just wait 20 years and then buy the newest card because it will be 300% faster than the gtx 1080. OP hasn't even mentioned which GPU he has, maybe he has a gtx 680 or a 690 so why would he have to wait. If he needs a new GPU then he can get a 1080 and not wait for the Ti or wait 20 more years so he can get an even faster card.

Well were talking waiting a couple weeks, its not like were advising he wait til some new card comes out.

I personally find reference cards to be noisy, so I prefer to avoid them. Non reference cards usually OC better and give cooler temps as well but with the 1080 I don't think that's as much of an issue. It was a bit of an issue with the reference 980 ti which ran hot and experienced thermal throttling with the boost clock. The 1080 reference(sorry, I find the founders name just dumb so I'm not using it) might not have this problem.

If someone uses headphones or was fine with the noise level of the previous titan reference coolers, or likes the look of this current one a lot then no point in waiting. It's all personal preference, but id hate to see someone rush because they don't want to wait a couple weeks, then be stuck with something they don't like for the next couple years or so.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

2 minutes ago, maizenblue said:

Well were talking waiting a couple weeks, its not like were advising he wait til some new card comes out.

I personally find reference cards to be noisy, so I prefer to avoid them. Non reference cards usually OC better and give cooler temps as well but with the 1080 I don't think that's as much of an issue. It was a bit of an issue with the reference 980 ti which ran hot and experienced thermal throttling with the boost clock. The 1080 reference(sorry, I find the founders name just dumb so I'm not using it).

If someone uses headphones or was fine with the noise level of the previous titan reference coolers, or likes the look of this current one a lot then no point in waiting. It's all personal preference, but id hate to see someone rush because they don't want to wait a couple weeks, then be stuck with something they don't like for the next couple years or so.

When you don't have a GPU, waiting a couple of weeks for a card that may be out of stock for another couple of weeks is near enough torture.

40 minutes ago, roughavoc said:

When you don't have a GPU, waiting a couple of weeks for a card that may be out of stock for another couple of weeks is near enough torture.

He has a 780. Even at 1440p a 780 can hang with medium to high settings(and I hope hes using 1440p since a GTX 1080 for 1080p is just plain dumb).

I think he'll survive a couple weeks.

3 hours ago, TankyTev said:

You're right. Besides the folks that are arguing about the 480, all of you are right. I shouldn't jump the gun. I have a 780 right now but it's starting to crap out on me. It still functions fine but it's beginning to show signs of age like random FPS jumps from 30-40 fps to 5-10 fps while playing DOOM, despite the fact that I do monthly maintenance on it. I'm just super antsy about the new 1080. I didn't want to get the 980 because it wasn't a new GPU family, so I waited and saved for the new one. Now that it's here, I guess I should calm my tits, hold out, and wait. I have the money. I just need to have the patience.  

Dude, I'm running a GT 105M. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

1070 is the better card by far. It did what it promised. 1080 was just overpriced Maxwell 2.0. Just my 2 cents. If you want a beast, wait for the HBM2 cards.

1070 is the card like the 8800 GT and the GTX 275 and the GTX 970.

2 hours ago, alphaproject said:

1070 is the better card by far. It did what it promised. 1080 was just overpriced Maxwell 2.0. Just my 2 cents. If you want a beast, wait for the HBM2 cards.

1070 is the card like the 8800 GT and the GTX 275 and the GTX 970.

Looking at reviews, the 1080 seems to perform substantially better than the 1070. Were talking like 20FPS at 1440p in games like witcher 3, which is a noticeable amount, and the 1080 has greater memory bandwidth and gddr5x, so it should be a little more future proof and more suitable for 4k gaming.

Strictly from a price/performance standpoint the 1070 might be the better card assuming you aren't looking to game at 4k, but there is a bigger gap between the 1080 and 1070 than say the 980 and 970.

If price to performance ratio is your only concern though you'd be advocating a radeon 480, so price/performance isn't everything.

8 hours ago, maizenblue said:

He has a 780. Even at 1440p a 780 can hang with medium to high settings(and I hope hes using 1440p since a GTX 1080 for 1080p is just plain dumb).

I think he'll survive a couple weeks.

Ahh, it seems reading is not my strong point.