Is G-Sync/FreeSync as laggy as V-Sync?

Webkitnote

Let's cool the insults, and anything similar, and stick to the topic at hand. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

7 minutes ago, Pvt. 8Ball said:

Gsync and Freesync basically have zero lag as long as you stay bellow the refresh rate (so employ an fps capper etc).

It's also worth noting, just going to 144hz alone makes tearing and frame judder ALOT less noticeable.

latency-wise the *syncs cant do much good, but i can defenately agree on the judder thing, i've been considering gettign a *sync monitor for that if they werent so hilareously expensive. i'd gladly toss out my buisiness monitor for something with a dreadful stand if it meant minecraft's jumps between 70 and 200 FPS werent as noticeable :P

38 minutes ago, Webkitnote said:

It says "G-Sync vs. FreeSync input lag"... on two  different monitors.

so? in the video he shows gsync with vsync on vs off

isnt that what the entire point of your topic is??

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

so? in the video he shows gsync with vsync on vs off

isnt that what the entire point of your topic is??

...it shows FreeSync and G-Sync, not V-Sync and G-Sync... c'mon man!

2 minutes ago, Webkitnote said:

...it shows FreeSync and G-Sync, not V-Sync and G-Sync... c'mon man!

hoooooly crap is it really so hard for you to watch a video??????????

seriously...

he compared BOTH gsync and freesync with vsync on and vsync off

its not hard to actually WATCH and INFORM yourself

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

24 minutes ago, Webkitnote said:

[removed] 

Oh my goodness, I give up.

Go buy a gsync monitor and do the testing yourself if you cant watch 15 minutes of video...

Edited by Godlygamer23
Clean up.

Spoiler

43 minutes ago, Webkitnote said:

Because it is. He uses two different monitors, you cannot compare different technologies with different monitors.

but it's not possible to have 2 same monitors with different tech...I see nothing wrong with it. As long as the two panels are both rated equally (refresh rate, response time, input lag and whatever) then it is a fair enough test. He's just showing whether G-sync or Freesync is better in general. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

but it's not possible to have 2 same monitors with different tech...I see nothing wrong with it. As long as the two panels are both rated equally (refresh rate, response time, input lag and whatever) then it is a fair enough test. He's just showing whether G-sync or Freesync is better in general. 

could add to that that beyond the branding both technologies (and probably both specific panels) are doing pretty much the exact same thing hardware-wise, making the freesync/gsync comparison mostly a matter of driver optimization, and buying a decent monitor on either side of the boat. (although nvidia's more closed off ecosystem generally makes them only allow the very best of the best, hence why shit's expensive xD)

Keep the thread on topic and quit the insulting.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch