Best settings for OBS Recording

Go to solution Solved by BrightCandle,

You will get much better performance if you switch a few settings:

Encoder - change it from x264 to NVENC H.264. This will use "ShadowPlay" (sort of) on the GPU and take your overhead to effectively nothing.

Profile - set it to high instead of main, you'll get better quality video for the same bit rate and almost everything can play back high profile nowadays you really don't need to use main anymore.

I would also go about getting OBS Studio. It works quite similar but importantly you can record multiple sound streams, so microphone and game separately. This allows you to set your levels in post production and its otherwise a very similar program.

Alright, I am a YouTuber ho has used OBS for a while now.

I have never really messed around with the setting too much.

My Settings ATM:

[Encoding]
x264
Use CBR
Max Bitrate (24,000)

Enable CBR padding
Use Custom Buffer Size
Buffer Size (24,000)

Codec (AAC)
Format (48kHz)
Bitrate (320)
Channel (stereo)

[Video]
Resolution Downscale: None (1920x1080)
Filter: N/A
FPS: 60

[Advanced]
Use Multithreaded Optimizations
Process Priority Class (High)
x264 CPU Preset (superfast)
Encoding Profile (main)
Keyframe Interbval (2)

[Quick Sync Encoder]
CBR
Use global Max Bitrate
Use global Buffer Size

=========================

My PC Specs;

Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

Intel Core i5 3570 @ 3.40 Ghz

24GB Dual Channel DDR3 Ram

ASUS P8Z77-V LK

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB

==========================

I don't care about file size

I want to be able to play GTA V, CSGO, BO3, Farcry 4

Any ideas for best settings without lag in games???

Thanks.

use intel quicksync  because otherwise you won't be playing gta v on i5 with quality stream anytime soon

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

You will get much better performance if you switch a few settings:

Encoder - change it from x264 to NVENC H.264. This will use "ShadowPlay" (sort of) on the GPU and take your overhead to effectively nothing.

Profile - set it to high instead of main, you'll get better quality video for the same bit rate and almost everything can play back high profile nowadays you really don't need to use main anymore.

I would also go about getting OBS Studio. It works quite similar but importantly you can record multiple sound streams, so microphone and game separately. This allows you to set your levels in post production and its otherwise a very similar program.

On 6/11/2016 at 2:29 PM, DXMember said:

use intel quicksync  because otherwise you won't be playing gta v on i5 with quality stream anytime soon

I'm only making Videos, not streaming.

5 hours ago, FinnishArmy said:

I'm only making Videos, not streaming.

same thing, additionally get a dedicated hard drive for video recording if you want high quality

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

3 hours ago, DXMember said:

same thing, additionally get a dedicated hard drive for video recording if you want high quality

A modern HDD has no problem to write 50Mbit/s

3 hours ago, .spider. said:

but its better to have one dedicated to recordings and not the drive you are gaming off

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

30 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

but its better to have one dedicated to recordings and not the drive you are gaming off

It is still no problem for the HDD and OS

1 minute ago, .spider. said:

It is still no problem for the HDD and OS

I have personally had frame drops when recording in shadowplay when gaming off the same drive - recording to a seperate drive fixed the issue immediately 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

2 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I have personally had frame drops when recording in shadowplay when gaming off the same drive - recording to a seperate drive fixed the issue immediately 

Never had that problem 

2 hours ago, .spider. said:

Never had that problem 

try RAW 1440p at 60fps, you'll run out of disk cache pretty fast and then you'll see how that hard drive responds to random read/write operations from other sources while it's going full tilt mode on those sequentials

you'll end up with either corrupt video recording or in game stutters

1 hour ago, DXMember said:

try RAW 1440p at 60fps, you'll run out of disk cache pretty fast and then you'll see how that hard drive responds to random read/write operations from other sources while it's going full tilt mode on those sequentials

But that is the point with OBS studio, you are directly recording into h.264 via hardware via NVENC, its an amount of data any drive can cope without much concern. Its the sort of performance a drive from 2000 could sustain. Talking about RAW format is completely out of place when talking about OBS, it simply doesn't have the option.

3 minutes ago, BrightCandle said:

But that is the point with OBS studio, you are directly recording into h.264 via hardware via NVENC, its an amount of data any drive can cope without much concern. Its the sort of performance a drive from 2000 could sustain. Talking about RAW format is completely out of place when talking about OBS, it simply doesn't have the option.

you are correct, I was basing it from the personal experience with RTSS, as I prefer to use that with uncompressed frames for editing options

9 hours ago, .spider. said:

1 hour ago, DXMember said: