Uncarrier 11: T-Mobile Giving Shares To Its Customers + More Free Stuff

iCrushDreams

Source 1 - T-Mobile

Source 2 - CNET

In another unprecedented first, Legere introduced Stock Up™, a first-of-its kind program that could turn millions of T-Mobile customers into T-Mobile owners—something no other publicly traded company has done before. The Un-carrier is offering a FULL share of T-Mobile US (TMUS) common stock to millions of existing and new customers. And customers can grow their ownership up to 100 shares a year by doing what they’re already doing—recommending T-Mobile.

In addition, the Un-carrier announced T-Mobile Tuesdays, a new app that thanks T-Mobile customers with free stuff and epic prizes, every Tuesday. T-Mobile has partnered with some of the best and coolest brands to thank its customers every single week, including Gilt, Domino’s, StubHub, Wendy’s, VUDU, Fandango, Legendary Pictures and Universal Pictures, Lyft and more … with new gifts and more partners unveiled every Tuesday.

Summary of Uncarrier 11

- All T-Mobile customers get a free share of the company (they are not handing out new shares, they're buying from current holders and giving them out)

- Referring somebody to T-Mobile will net you 1 $TMUS share, 2 if you are a customer for more than 5 years. (Worth ~$43 USD at the time of writing)

- T-Mobile customers get various freebies every Tuesday through the app, such as pizza, food, movies, music, etc.

- Various messaging services (notably iMessage, WhatsApp, and Viber) are now zero-rated and don't count against data.

As a T-Mobile customer myself, I obviously like this as it's more free stuff for me. I think that it's a good tactic to swing people into the door as long as they can afford it. Network upgrades and capacity are always #1, but they've been handling that with excellence over the past few years so I think that it's fine that they start to bribe customers with their spare cash by handing them freebies and more zero-rated data.

Let me know what you think!

3 minutes ago, iCrushDreams said:

- All T-Mobile customers get a free share of the company (they are not handing out new shares, they're buying from current holders and giving them out)

That was the important part. If they were just creating new shares it would devalue their current shares, not only making their current shareholder's stock much less valuable but also making that single share they're handing out fairly useless.

This is interesting. I'm definitely not a financial guru so it will be interesting to see what the smart people have to say about it.

3 minutes ago, Yog said:

That was the important part. If they were just creating new shares it would devalue their current shares, not only making their current shareholder's stock much less valuable but also making that single share they're handing out fairly useless.

This is interesting. I'm definitely not a financial guru so it will be interesting to see what the smart people have to say about it.

Indeed. Creating new shares would over time make all their shares worth very little to nothing.

T Mobile stock is currently $43 a share for reference.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

18 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

quite impressive considering where they were several years ago

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

1 minute ago, pit5000 said:

quite impressive considering where they were several years ago

Ya they seem to be doing a lot better. I use Google Fi which uses T-Mobile and sprint Networks

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

59 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Thanks, added that bit in.

That's pretty excellent.  When the iPhone 7 comes out, I'll have to consider swapping to T-Mobile, I know in the past they had really, really crap service, but lately it seems to be all positive.

3 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

That's pretty excellent.  When the iPhone 7 comes out, I'll have to consider swapping to T-Mobile, I know in the past they had really, really crap service, but lately it seems to be all positive.

I'd still heavily recommend using their 30-day test drive program or whatever. My signal is excellent and the area has improved quite a bit from two years ago, but there are still areas where it's not that great at all.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

1 minute ago, Suika said:

I'd still heavily recommend using their 30-day test drive program or whatever. My signal is excellent and the area has improved quite a bit from two years ago, but there are still areas where it's not that great at all.

Agree, although statistically it's actually only about 3% worse (closer to 1% now) than Verizon by population, some places in the middle of no where don't have great signal. Pennsylvania has been a problem for me as well as some other remote highways in between other places.

It's definitely worlds better than it was before and does not deserve its 'stereotype' at all. It's pretty great now. The speed the also really good, I can pull 120 down 60 up in some places and worst case scenario I get 15-20 down and 4-8 up which is still decent.

damn, now if my dad knew anything about shares then it could potentially be make him some money

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

I had T Mobile back like 13-14 years ago when I was on my parent's plan. The coverage was good, although back in that day, there was no 4G LTE or anything of that nature. Everyone just called each other, no texting. I've been on T Mobile now for almost 4 years on my own plan. The coverage the first couple years was decent. I didn't get reception in a lot of back woods type areas. Fast forward to now, those problem areas now have very decent coverage. T Mobile promising to increase their coverage, well, they delivered.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

I was on Family Mobile by Walmart which piggy backs off of T-Mobile's towers for a while (almost a year), and when I left Minnesota a couple times or went further away from the Twin Cities my service would be hit or miss. It was especially bad in Iowa and Nebraska. I briefly got HSPA+ (the best my Moto G 2014 was capable of) when I was at a restaurant in Des Moines and driving through Omaha going up towards Vermillion, SD. I think I might've had similar coverage, but it was pretty spotty and the signal wasn't very great. At the end of last year I got a new phone (Galaxy S6) with Verizon (I was without a phone for quite a few months because my Moto G 2014 had broken a second time). And I've gone to some pretty rural places in Minnesota and the coverage would be hit or miss but it usually wasn't flat out no service like it would sometimes be with the T-Mobile MVNO. I mean damn that's really bold of T-Mobile to do with what OP said they were doing with Uncarrier 11. But I think they need to work on getting their coverage better and being more of a true competitor to Verizon at least in the Midwest+Rocky States. It sounded like in this one area of Montana or Wyoming, Verizon was the only option in terms of cell phone service.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 hour ago, deVIZtation said:

I've been on T Mobile now for almost 4 years on my own plan. The coverage the first couple years was decent. I didn't get reception in a lot of back woods type areas. Fast forward to now, those problem areas now have very decent coverage. T Mobile promising to increase their coverage, well, they delivered.

Maybe for the coastal states and more densely populated areas of the US.

But inland, like the Midwest. T-Mobile seems to be a bit of a joke if you're travelling through the Midwest. Unless you stay within the larger cities.

6 minutes ago, wcreek said:

I was on Family Mobile by Walmart which piggy backs off of T-Mobile's towers for a while (almost a year), and when I left Minnesota a couple times or went further away from the Twin Cities my service would be hit or miss. It was especially bad in Iowa and Nebraska. I briefly got HSPA+ (the best my Moto G 2014 was capable of) when I was at a restaurant in Des Moines, but it was pretty spotty and the signal wasn't very great. At the end of last year I got a new phone (I was without a phone for quite a few months) with Verizon. And I've gone to some pretty rural places in Minnesota and the coverage would be hit or miss but it usually wasn't flat out no service like it would sometimes be with the T-Mobile MVNO. I mean damn that's really bold of T-Mobile to do with what OP said. But I think they need to work on getting their coverage better and being more of a true competitor to Verizon at least in the Midwest+Rocky States. It sounded like in this one area of Montana or Wyoming, Verizon was the only option in terms of cell phone service.

Well you have to take into consideration that a lot of T-Mobile's new coverage is a result of newer signal bands that often need a flagship phone (with a flagship radio) to use. I don't think it's fair to compare a Moto G (a very budget option) from 2014 with a flagship now :\

1 hour ago, iCrushDreams said:

Well you have to take into consideration that a lot of T-Mobile's new coverage is a result of newer signal bands that often need a flagship phone (with a flagship radio) to use. I don't think it's fair to compare a Moto G (a very budget option) from 2014 with a flagship now :\

True. It's possible T-Mobile is actually fine in areas like Iowa and Nebraska and South Dakota. Or where I was at but by using a Moto G (2014) it could've hindered some of their coverage. This was like last year. So idk.

2 hours ago, SurvivorNVL said:

I don't know what you're talking about.  I've had T-Mobile as long as I can remember and they are quite literally the only company that I don't mind calling and talking to.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

4 hours ago, iCrushDreams said:

The speed the also really good, I can pull 120 down 60 up in some places and worst case scenario I get 15-20 down and 4-8 up which is still decent.

Definitely. I had a Sprint rep ask me and the rest of my small team to perform a speed test on an AT&T phone, Verizon phone, Sprint phone, and since I was there, a T-Mobile phone.

T-Mobile's score was double the highest, which was Verizon at 30MB/s. Sprint was the worst which was funny.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

2 minutes ago, Suika said:

Definitely. I had a Sprint rep ask me and the rest of my small team to perform a speed test on an AT&T phone, Verizon phone, Sprint phone, and since I was there, a T-Mobile phone.

T-Mobile's score was double the highest, which was Verizon at 30MB/s. Sprint was the worst which was funny.

I find Verizon tends to be much worse than T-Mobile in southern california with T-Mobile having much better coverage and especially speeds than Verizon. In addition, despite Verizon's claim that they have the best coverage, which they probably do in the US, having an extremely weak signal shouldn't count because it's basically useless and a huge battery drain. 

1 hour ago, kurahk7 said:

I find Verizon tends to be much worse than T-Mobile in southern california with T-Mobile having much better coverage and especially speeds than Verizon. In addition, despite Verizon's claim that they have the best coverage, which they probably do in the US, having an extremely weak signal shouldn't count because it's basically useless and a huge battery drain. 

This is true. A lot of the times, when Verizon claims they have 4G LTE signal, that may be true; however, it's often 1-2 bars of signal that is too slow to bother trying to use.

8 hours ago, kurahk7 said:

Looks like T-Mobile is thanking their customers by giving their customers the typical carrier run around.

http://techcrunch.com/2016/06/07/t-mobile-thanks-customers-with-a-new-freebies-app-that-hasnt-worked-all-day/

It did get fixed at around 6PM EDT.

I don't understand how people can complain about a server going down when it's still worlds better than any effort the other carrier's have ever made. Verizon & AT&T thank you with overages :)