Project: building the first PC after a decade of Apple

A while ago, I starting thinking again about a new computer. My current hardware, a Macbook Pro from 2012 while still fine was getting a bit annoying when doing photo and video editing. A new Apple was quickly ruled out of the question due to price/performance/upgradability reasons. So it had to a Windows PC, which I could build myself. After reading a lot lot and watching tons of YouTube videos, I decided for the X99 platform.

Next was collecting parts.

01parts.jpg

This took a while as not all the money was available to get things at the same time, however it's also tricky due to the volatile nature of computer parts prices. I decided to leave things like motherboard, cpu and memory for last and first focus on the less volatile parts like case, powersupply, cooling solution, etc.

By the time I was ready to commit to the remainder of the parts, the GTX1080 was just released and since starting from scratch it didn't seem like a bad idea.

02gtx0180.jpg

Decided on a Founders Edition, as that would be the easiest with regards to a waterblock as I had decided upon doing a custom loop as well. Not much use in buying something with a fancy cooler only to rip it off immediately.

03gtx1080-nocooler.jpg

So it can be replaced with a shiny new one from EK.

04gtx1080-waterblock.jpg

Then it got time to start throwing things together in the case. This was more of a challenge to what remembered from over 10 years ago, but then again, back then I didn't have to pay attention to watercooling and routing hoses. In the end, it came together pretty well. I'm also very happy with the custom sleeved power cables I ordered from CableMod. It is just a small detail, but it does look good.

05inside.jpg

Also the back deserved some attention. In the past, I would just throw things together and not worry to much, if at all, about cable management. It wasn't a thing at all when I last build a computer. This time around, I wanted to do it nicely even if nobody but me will ever see it.

06cablemgt.jpg

After this, it was time to fill the loop and do some leak testing. More than 12 hours later a thorough inspection revealed no leaks, so time to fire the thing up and see if it actually works! Fortunately, it does and after doing some initial tests and setup, the final result is here.

07system-ready.jpg

There is still some stuff that needs attention

- The ugly red cable from the waterpump on the back

- The ugly multi-colored cables from the waterpump in the front desperately need sleeving

- Some motherboard cables reveal colored wires where I don't want them.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy.

But, since this is a tech forum, here are the specs of the machine:

CPU: Intel i7 5960X

Motherboard: Asus Deluxe-2

Memory: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400

Videocard: EVGA GTX1080

Storage: Samsung 950Pro nvme M.2 SSD & Crucial M500 1TB SATA SSD

Cooling: dual radiator custom loop, all EKWB parts

Screen: LG 34UC98

08desk.jpg

The box is overclocked to 4.6Ghz base and 4.7Ghz turbo, and the GPU is overclocked to +248/504 making it over 2100 core and 5500 memory clocks respectively. As far as performance goes, 20240 in Firestrike, 1680/160 CB R15 (CPU/GPU) and over 33000 in Geekbench looks pretty good to me.

Hope you enjoyed this. :)

8 minutes ago, DEcobra11 said:

-snip-

Overkill PSU? You high m8? :D. It says 750W doesnt it? Not 1750W!

Groomlake Authority

Very nice build... Did you think about a hackintosh? From what I've heard / seen lately it's much easier these days.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

@Dzzope yes, I did. And then I found out it is virtually impossible to do on X99 so I said feck it, I'll go back to Windows. I'm not much of a fanboy anyway; an OS to me is just that thing you need to install in order to be able to run the programs you want to use.

@DEcobra11 I admit the PSU was dimensioned originally on a single GTX980Ti, but the price difference is virtually non-existent between this and a slightly less powerful one so I just left it at that.

As far as eco mode: can't really tell yet when the fan kicks in. It is very quiet though (entire system), which is just what I like.

@rhyseyness thanks. Up to 10 years ago, I was an avid overclocker and sytem builder, always upgrading something. Then I got a Mac and it had to 'just work'. Now I still want it to just work, but that's not an excuse to not try to make it as nice as possible.

did you check out  tonymacx86.com ? seems the go-to for hack builds.. and seems that at least there is a way to do it.

if you've looked and it's too much trouble, fair enough but it could still be worth looking into is all.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Yeah, I checked. X99 is problematic as it is not a chipset that's ever used by Apple. I'm sure it is possible somehow with the right board and some work but it wasn't worth the trouble for me. That said, if you want to run OSX and you have a Skylake Gigabyte board it's almost plug and play, very doable.

8 hours ago, DEcobra11 said:

-snip-

Eh no? He obviously has the intent of overclocking and has to power the liquid cooled solution aswell.

Load Wattage:755 W
Recommended UPS rating:1400 VA
Recommended PSU Wattage:805 W

Note: The website doesnt fully support EKWB parts, but the overclocks were as accurate as the site could provide i supose.

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Groomlake Authority

2 hours ago, DEcobra11 said:

-snip-

Its still not overkill to me unless its 500+ watts over the system "current" usage... I have a AX860I myself and my system probably doesnt use it at even 60%, but with such psu i know i wont have to upgrade it in the future. Besides, hes obviously not counting "cents" with such build configuration...

GTX 1080 4K Stress testing:

PCIe Total 5W  273W  133W
Motherboard 3.3V 0W  0W 0W 
Motherboard 12V 15W  62W 40W 
Graphics Card Total 24W  311W  173W 

In the website it even states that with a 19% increase in overclock, its load capacity goes up to 206W on average :/. Okay yeah its not gonna get up to 300W 90% of the time, but we dont want a PSU that stays at the 600's and then when a power spike happens, boom, system shutdown, right :? But yeah, i gotta stop trusting online calculators...

Groomlake Authority

@DEcobra11 and @VerticalDiscussions you are both right. Yes it is somewhat over-dimensioned as it was originally spec'd for a overclocked 980Ti, which draws a lot more power. And yes, I like to have a little bit of headroom so it can be quiet most of the time and I don't have to go out and buy a new PSU the moment I decide I want to add something to the box. Had I gotten an 980Ti, I would have gone to the 850W version for that reason.

That said, I do think a lot of people overestimate how big of a PSU they need. Bigger is not always better. Putting a 1500W PSU in a system that only draws 500W at max makes most PSU's horribly inefficient and in a worst case scenario could even make the voltages spike to levels you don't really want for your parts as for most PSU's you need a certain load for the voltages to be in spec.

LOL @GamerGuyEbby No need to mate. Completely voluntarily and it was a good system to use for that time. A computer is a tool that enables you to do certain tasks. What it runs is irrelevant as long as you can do those tasks. Once it doesn't provide you with what you need, use something else that does. I don't get the fanboyism for either camp. It's just a computer. It's not a religion, nor does it save your health or pay the bills. It may help you to pay the bills, but that comes back to it being a tool for certain tasks.