Modem provided by ISP Questions

I am looking to setup a slightly more complex home network than just the router included with my modem and powerline adapters for ethernet, but I had a few questions.  Do I need to use the router built into my modem provided by the isp?  I know there is a way to passthrough info like subnet, dns, ip address etc, to a different router, but It is a complicated process with my modem and I would like to either just disable it or not use it.  I have an at&t uverse modem in case that is helpful.  Also I have some general questions about modems.  I know some basic differences between the modem and the router, but what specifically is the function of the modem in relation to the router, and also in relation to stuff like TV and Phone?  Why is it a necessary step between router and internet?

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

modem uses a phone line or a tv line to get you connected to the internet and it's from like last century

router acts as a gateway to directly connect you to the internet and it also provides a functionality to create local networks

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

modem uses a phone line or a tv line to get you connected to the internet and it's from like last century

router acts as a gateway to directly connect you to the internet and it also provides a functionality to create local networks

can I somehow omit the modem in connecting my router to the internet then?

1 minute ago, littlepigboy5 said:

can I somehow omit the modem in connecting my router to the internet then?

if your ISP provides you with the internet trough a modem, then no

another good option would be to contact your ISP directly and ask all these questions

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

You may be able to get a replacement modem that is known to work with your ISP and connection type.

But you will always need a modem of sorts.

Whatever comes in from the cable needs to be demodulated into intelligible data for your devices to understand. That's the function of a modem.

Most ISPs provide a modem/router combo unit for simplicity and cost saving.

However you may attach your own aftermarket wifi router (any) to a LAN port on your box, to serve as an AP.

I most cases the modem function of the combo unit you get is sufficient to give you the full bandwidth you signed up for.

However the router aspect may not be good enough for say, network control, range and speed.

Whatever ISP proprietary feature bundled with your line (phone/TV services) will have to be connected to your combo box directly.

Ok, i mainly want an external router for port forwarding.  If I just plug the router into an ethernet port from the modem, will port forwarding work, because at that point I think it would be receiving internet from the router in the modem rather than just the modem if that makes sense.