noctua nh-d15 vs water cooling ?

maria2244

does the noctua nh d15 strong enough to beat water cooling with a lower cpu temp ?

I'm MARIA 23 years old Girl (Female) .

Christmas is all about hope , and that hope is NOT possible without JESUS king of kings . I love Christmas .

D15s fine, 1 step up would be the Kraken x61 or H110 , H100 performs practically the same as a D15.

1 minute ago, FirstArmada said:

D15s fine, 1 step up would be the Kraken x61 or H110 , H100 performs practically the same as a D15.

does the d15s better than the old d15 ?

Christmas is all about hope , and that hope is NOT possible without JESUS king of kings . I love Christmas .

1 minute ago, maria2244 said:

No , the D15S is offset and comes with 1 fan rather than 2 so the normal D15 would be better 

2 minutes ago, maria2244 said:

It is the same, but it has better compatibility with taller ram and graphics card, and only comes with one fan

Here's the thing about AiO coolers vs the NH-D15: Some AiO's (240mm rads, 280mm rads) perform similar or the same, but they have more moving parts. That means more points of failure. The air cooler can fail at two points: breaking in half, or a fan failing, which can easily be replaced. The NH-D15 is quieter than most (if not all) AiO water coolers while performing the same or better, so I'd recommend it. The Noctua also takes up a lot of room in your case, and is very tall, so you have to account for how much clearance you have in your case.

I used to be quite active here.

A decent air cooler is a match for most AIOs on the market in terms of performance

The only reason I personally went for an H100 was aesthetics and because I just thought it was cool

in terms of pure cooling performance and reliability, an air cooler is a better option for 99% of people

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

4 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

Here's the thing about AiO coolers vs the NH-D15: Some AiO's (240mm rads, 280mm rads) perform similar or the same, but they have more moving parts. That means more points of failure. The air cooler can fail at two points: breaking in half, or a fan failing, which can easily be replaced. The NH-D15 is quieter than most (if not all) AiO water coolers while performing the same or better, so I'd recommend it. The Noctua also takes up a lot of room in your case, and is very tall, so you have to account for how much clearance you have in your case.

you said an air cooler can

breaking in half, the d15 can break half ?? 

or a fan failing

also lets say one of these happened can than damage the cpu because of the temp spike ?

2 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

^this.

Despite being more robust, compared to an AIO , a alrge air cooler is literally silent, when in idle, since you can turn off the fans completely. What kept me from buying an AIO was the pump noise, which wouldnt bother me when gaming with headphones, would bug the hell out of me when browsing or studying next to my pc

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

10 minutes ago, maria2244 said:

Just better clearance for some memory sticks.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

2 minutes ago, Speakerator said:

^this.

Despite being more robust, compared to an AIO , a alrge air cooler is literally silent, when in idle, since you can turn off the fans completely. What kept me from buying an AIO was the pump noise, which wouldnt bother me when gaming with headphones, would bug the hell out of me when browsing or studying next to my pc

you cant turn the fans completely off even with d15 that will damage the cpu right ?

4 minutes ago, maria2244 said:

or a fan failing

also lets say one of these happened can than damage the cpu because of the temp spike ?

The "breaking in half" part was a joke, the NH-D15 will not break in half. But yes, a fan can fail, which would cause higher temperatures.

3 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

The "breaking in half" part was a joke, the NH-D15 will not break in half. But yes, a fan can fail, which would cause higher temperatures.

but wouldn't the motherboard shut down when the sensors detect that cpu fans stopped working ?

3 minutes ago, maria2244 said:

or a fan failing

Well, you won't turn them off when stressing the CPU. A large heatsink is big enough to passively cool a CPU under light load. There is plenty of software to realize this, like Speedfan or some MoBo Utility Suites

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

1 minute ago, maria2244 said:

buy wouldn't the motherboard shut down when the sensonr detect that cpu fans stopped working ?

No. You can actually turn the computer on with no CPU fans even plugged in. The computer will turn off when the CPU starts overheating, but there are measures in place to prevent that from happening.